Which Altitude = Less Hot But Over 20C ?

Thomas
Posted
Posted

You guys, who live in Philippines hole/big part of the year allready  - or know it anyway   :)

Which ALTITUDE is good to live at to get less hot day temperature, but still 20 to 25 C at nights inside?  (A few colder than 20 C nights per year is OK.)

Please tell which region you are talking about too, because I suppouse it can be different in different regions depending of the east monsun and the other special wind from southwest, which I don't remember what it's called.

Not "cheating" by having a BAD issolated stone house, so it warm up the indoor temperature at nights  :)

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Baguio is at 1500 meters. Daytime temperatures are 20-25C, nighttime temperatures are 10-20C. It did get down to 8C a few nights this year.

Based on that I would guess 1000 meters would be about right. 

Tagatay might be a good choice, it is at 634 meters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagaytay

Here is a link to some temperature and rainfall charts for Tagatay: http://jeepneyguide.com/content/climate-tagaytay

Based on the charts Tagatay still gets a bit too warm for my taste.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Thank you.

Tagaytay have to much people for my taste, but around that altitude seem good.

Anyone knowing effects of the monsun and the southwest wind at higher altitudes in Visayas?

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Thomas, You being from Sweden, this may be tough to answer, as we're all accustomed to different climates.  I grew up in the northeast USA, and spent several years in the frigid temps of northern Maine and New Brunswick, but the worst temps I've suffered were in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, where we moved from to here.  I have found the N. Negros Occidental area to be quite comfortable, and I think the local elevation is only about 11m here in Bacolod City.  I have been here 6 months consecutively, and many times over the years spanning all seasons, and have never been unduly uncomfortable.  We have several window A/C units, and honestly, I'm not sure why!  (Oh wait, our guests from the USA, ha!).  We only need to run the one A/C in the master BR, our main living area and upstairs usually have a nice breeze blowing.  We have a lot of mountains just SSE of us, and I surmise they save us from many storms. Here's a website you might find useful, www.windfinder.com/forecast and then put in the city you are interested in.  It's more fun in the Philippines,

SNAFU

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

The air temperature drops at approximately the rate of 2.5 degrees C per thousand feet, or in other words, the temperature drops by 1 degree C for every 154 metres (~505 feet) in altitude. However, humidity and wind speed may make it feel warmer or cooler than it actually is.

Baguio's elevation is 1,540 metres above sea level and thus will have an air temperature that's 10 degrees C cooler but it has much higher humidity (86% - 92% on average) than you'd find at, say, San Fernando.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The air temperature drops at approximately the rate of 2.5 degrees C per thousand feet, or in other words, the temperature drops by 1 degree C for every 154 metres (~505 feet) in altitude.
Thank you. Very interesting.
However, humidity and wind speed may make it feel warmer or cooler than it actually is.
Yes, I had noticed it's a very big difference between high humidity and low, so I don't know why I forgot to include that in the question  :1 (103):  :)

(High humidity is hard, but I can stand very high temperature if it's dry, but sadly it's high humidity in Phils  :)

I have found the N. Negros Occidental area to be quite comfortable, and I think the local elevation is only about 11m here in Bacolod City. I have been here 6 months consecutively, and many times over the years spanning all seasons, and have never been unduly uncomfortable. We have several window A/C units, and honestly, I'm not sure why! (Oh wait, our guests from the USA, ha!). We only need to run the one A/C in the master BR, our main living area and upstairs usually have a nice breeze blowing.
That suprice me. Depending of the breeze or is it comparingly low humidity there?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I grew up and am back living in between a couple of the Great Lakes here in Canada - specifically between Lakes Erie and Ontario on that wonderful tourist trap called Niagara Falls. While serving in the military for close to 20 years, all but 2 years were on the Right Coast at Halifax. In other words, a lifetime of humidity. Want to know something funny? Areas rife with humidity are almost impossible to forecast properly... So, Thomas, for what you are looking for? I think just asking where people are comfortable and then trying it yourself might be a better solution! Who knows? You might have missed out on the perfect place otherwise!

Sent by using a very long piece of string, a couple tin cans, 2 gaseous monkeys, Tapatalk and my Nexus 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Want to know something funny? Areas rife with humidity are almost impossible to forecast properly... So, Thomas, for what you are looking for? I think just asking where people are comfortable and then trying it yourself might be a better solution!
Well. Most have other taste than I, so if I would ask like that, then many would answer in a city with aircon  :)   where I surely NOT want to live.

Plus there are OTHER factors too than weather deciding where I will settle (suiting distance from family of future wife, where it suit to have the business I chose to start).

That's why I asked like that, to get fact peices, so I can check myself the places, which have chance to suit. I ask, because it would take to long time to check WHOLE YEAR in each alternative  :)  before settle.

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

Thomas, as I write this, the temp in our 1st floor living area (non-A/C) is 81F, and the relative humidity is 81%.  I am comfortable, with a simple, stand-type fan blowing over me.  Your results may vary, though!  :unsure:

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Thomas, as I write this, the temp in our 1st floor living area (non-A/C) is 81F, and the relative humidity is 81%.  I am comfortable, with a simple, stand-type fan blowing over me.  Your results may vary, though!  :unsure:

Same here for me. You get used to the heat and humidity. The weather is great here.