Requirements And Procedure To Get A Driver's License In The Philippines.

Americano
Posted
Posted

Are there any national requirements and procedures for getting a Driver's License?  I ask this question because I have read different requirements and procedures on forums over the past few years. One post I just read a few days ago said you can take the written Driver's test in Filipino or English. Since all of the street and road signs are in English I asked my wife if this was true and would she find out. She didn't want to go to the local LTO because they will ask her a 1,000 questions being nosy, so she asked some tricycle drivers in Carcar. All of them have a license so they should remember the test they took. Most of them don't have enough money to pay for a fake license. They said the written test is only in English so my wife asked what if you can't read English, then you will not pass the test was their answer. Next, she talked to her sister who got her license last year in Tagbilarian, Bohol. Her sister said the test was only in English so she wasn't given a choice of which test to take.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A member covered this in detail not long ago. I am on an Ipod can't cut and paste just do a seach.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My wife and I received our licenses in Carcar a couple of weeks ago.  We each took with us our valid driver license from the USA (Washington State), and a copy of our passports.  You provide a urine sample for a drug test, and are given a very brief physical w/eye chart, and that is all that is required.  No written test, no driving exam.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Concur, very simple.

Americano
Posted
Posted

Yes I know converting from a foreign driver's license to a Philippines license is easy but what about a foreigner or Filipino who doesn't have any license?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Are there any national requirements and procedures for getting a Driver's License?  I ask this question because I have read different requirements and procedures on forums over the past few years. One post I just read a few days ago said you can take the written Driver's test in Filipino or English. Since all of the street and road signs are in English I asked my wife if this was true and would she find out. She didn't want to go to the local LTO because they will ask her a 1,000 questions being nosy, so she asked some tricycle drivers in Carcar. All of them have a license so they should remember the test they took. Most of them don't have enough money to pay for a fake license. They said the written test is only in English so my wife asked what if you can't read English, then you will not pass the test was their answer. Next, she talked to her sister who got her license last year in Tagbilarian, Bohol. Her sister said the test was only in English so she wasn't given a choice of which test to take.

I wrote that the test was available in English or Filipino based on several credible internet sources that I thought were reliable. I found nothing official from LTO, which isn't surprising, just others' first hand experiences so it's possible they were wrong and it's just offered in English. It's also possible it's only offered in English in Carcar and other offices (like Manila) do it differently. Or maybe the policy changed, who knows. Each region does their own thing, for example, some offices like Carcar, Talisay, etc are still requiring a drug screening even though the head of LTO says it's no longer required.

But if you search for "Philippines driver's license test review" you will find that all the review questions are In Tagalog so it makes perfect sense that the actual test questions are in English. Maybe they're combining a driving test with an English comprehension test. No wonder they have fixers. 

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

If you go to the only website developed and maintained by LTO its all in English. I couldn't find any other language on their website:

http://www.lto.gov.ph/

All Downloadable forms are in English including the Driver's License Application Form which is at the bottom of the list:

http://www.lto.gov.ph/index.php/downloadable-forms

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank you Americano for bringing this topic up for discussion.  Like everything else dealing with government

public services, I would like to keep track of the ever changing policies and procedures.  Additionally, I would

like to commend MikeB in giving us a reality check.  

Apparently LTO hasn't changed much when I got my DL back in 1992.  The LTO officials in Batangas City was

smart, I think.  No fixers to speak of -- instead, the official simply opened a drawer and waited silently for my

response.  I discreetly laid down a 500 peso note and was out of there within 30 minutes with no written or road

test.    

If I had to do it all over again, it would be better for me to go directly to a fixer and wait at the nearest watering

hole.  It's gonna be hot and muggy or toxic brown water during floods.....yeah, I would rather be drinking my

cold San Magoo and wait for my fixer to come back.

DISCLAIMER -- the above practice in strictly prohibited by law and also, you don't want to piss off the Boss.

Also be advice that I heard this through the grapevine that you must now take the written test in Swahili and

the road test in German.....he, he.   

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here's the latest information available for getting a Driver's License:

How to Get a Driver’s License in the Philippines – Sat, Oct 4, 2014

There’s this indescribable mix of excitement and anxiety for first-time drivers. But to take things on a legal point, you‘ll definitely need a driver’s license before you bring your wheels on the major roads. Spare yourself from spending your first thousand of pesos to the MMDA for driving without license.

The Land Transportation Office (LTO), under the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC), is responsible in drivers’ licensing and motor vehicle registrations. Before going to any branch, you have to decide what kind of license you will get, they offer two – Professional and Non-Professional. As the name implies, a Professional Driver’s License entitles you to drive a vehicle for a living. Apply for Professional license if you will drive any public utility vehicles (PUVs) such as jeepneys, tricycles, taxi, etc. On the other hand, a Non-Professional Driver’s License allows you to drive private vehicles.

Are you already qualified to get a driver’s license?

1. You must be at least seventeen (17) years old.
  2. You must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle.
  3. You must not be a drug user or alcoholic.
  4. You must be able to read and write in Filipino or English.
  5. You must be clean, neat and presentable.

For Non-Pro driver’s license, take note of these steps:

List of Requirements

1. Duly accomplished Application form for Driver’s License (ADL).
  2. Valid Student Permit (at least 1 month old)
  3. Medical Certificate with Official Receipt (from LTO accredited or Government physician)
  4. Taxpayer’s Identification Number (TIN) if employed
  5. Passing score in the written and practical examinations

1. Get a Student Permit

Before applying, you should accomplish a Student Permit also from LTO. When testing your driving skills on the road on your first few tries, you’ll need to present this permit to authorities who might issue you a ticket. A student permit will cost you around PHP 300 for 2-3 hours of processing. The one-month-old student permit is your time to really practice your driving.

2. Medical Examination

Before filing your application for a driver’s license on the same day, you will be required to get a medical examination which will cost around PHP500. Make sure that you only deal with LTO-accredited clinics, usually near the LTO branch.

3. Road Signs and Major Traffic Rules

As early as the thought of driving pops in your head, be wary of the road signs. In your exam, you will be asked for around 50 questions of road signs. If you pass the exam, you will get in to the next step.

4. Practice driving

When you apply for any of the two driver’s license, your skills will be test through a practical exam facilitated by an LTO officer and gauge if you’re capable of driving. It is notable though that a lot of people brags about getting a license without undergoing this process. But in reality, these people are the ones who get caught in vehicular mishaps because of foolish risks. No one is worthy to be on the road without any driving knowledge.

Here’s a run-through of your expense for that day:

Transaction

Cost

Medical Examination Php 100.00 Application Fee + Computer Fee Php 167.63 Driving Test Fee Php 400.00 License Fee + Computer Fee Php 417.63 TOTAL COST Php 1,085.26

Source:

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/driver-license-philippines-111442757.html

Edited by MikeB
removed embedded links
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

If you go to the only website developed and maintained by LTO its all in English. I couldn't find any other language on their website:

http://www.lto.gov.ph/

All Downloadable forms are in English including the Driver's License Application Form which is at the bottom of the list:

http://www.lto.gov.ph/index.php/downloadable-forms

The first link works like a charm the seond one though always coughs up a 404 error code