Requirements And Procedure To Get A Driver's License In The Philippines.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I think their site was down though it's working fine now.  

I was on the site yesterday and couldn't get anything to work...

• 1 month later...
scottpush
Posted
Posted

Is it necessary to get a license in the Philippines to drive?  I worked all over the world for 5 years and carried an international license with me.  Everyone honored it and I believe the would have honored the USA license I have now. 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Is it necessary to get a license in the Philippines to drive? I worked all over the world for 5 years and carried an international license with me. Everyone honored it and I believe the would have honored the USA license I have now.

IAW what information LTO gave me, your foreign drivers license is fine for driving with for up to 3 months. After that, you will need a license issued by the Philippines. You can do this without any written or road tests (just a fee) as long as your foreign license is still valid. If your license if no longer valid? You aren't a licensed driver and thus you start from scratch - the same as a non-licensed Filipino.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Is it necessary to get a license in the Philippines to drive? I worked all over the world for 5 years and carried an international license with me. Everyone honored it and I believe the would have honored the USA license I have now.

IAW what information LTO gave me, your foreign drivers license is fine for driving with for up to 3 months. After that, you will need a license issued by the Philippines. You can do this without any written or road tests (just a fee) as long as your foreign license is still valid. If your license if no longer valid? You aren't a licensed driver and thus you start from scratch - the same as a non-licensed Filipino.

Well you see I was given different info from the LTO in Cebu. They told me if I had and International License it was good for 12 months and just a normal valid D/L was valid for 3 months. I went and got a local D/L last month. You will need your passport, valid D/L. They give you a medical exam which consist of filling in a form with all your details and the Doctor??? signing said form, then you need a drug test, peeing in a bottle, they take your prints and picture cost is 300 pesos, takes about 30 minutes for both of these tests. Back to the LTO office and you can have the snail pace procedure for 649 pesos or the rush version for 1700pesos, I took the rush and that took 2 hours all up, some of the poor locals had been there all day waiting. As with so many things here different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I just did the conversion of my US license in Dumaguete. The process was the same as Frosty described above except I believe only the snail pace is offered. On the other hand, I got a paper license I can drive with and I will check back until the plastic one arrives. Cost was about 550 piso for the LTO.

abbottjp7
Posted
Posted

One additional requirement....your passport must show you have been in the Philippines for at least 30 consecutive days and since as an American we can only get an initial visa for 30 days, this means you have to get an extended visa...Welcome to the Feeappines. I live in San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte. Medical exam was a joke, no written exam. The whole thing took a few hours with no fixer.  My wife is Filipina. I was able to also get a motorcycle endorsement even though my USA license did not show that...I just checked the box on the form LOL..

• 2 months later...
calasiaobound
Posted
Posted

Fairly easy process. Just use your license from your home country..pee in a cup..pay the fees. :)