Srrv Philippines Retirement Visa

Bingbangbin
Posted
Posted

Here is another question... anybody hear officially that srrv holders are exempt from the new alien registration program? We have already done the finger printing and biometric recordings, but not safe to assume.

komments
Posted
Posted

If I wanted to retire in the Philippines, where should I look for advice?  Neither my wife, nor I, are Filipino.  I served (10 years) but didn't retire.  I would likely stay 3-5 years only then move back to the states.  I am guessing my income would be between $1,800-2,000 (SSN only) per month.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If I wanted to retire in the Philippines, where should I look for advice?  Neither my wife, nor I, are Filipino.  I served (10 years) but didn't retire.  I would likely stay 3-5 years only then move back to the states.  I am guessing my income would be between $1,800-2,000 (SSN only) per month.

I'm not sure what your question is but please check the other topics and ask whatever questions you have in whichever one is most appropriate. This thread pertains specifically to the SRRV Visa. Thanks.

robert k
Posted
Posted

You are of retirement age but I don't think you would save enough to make it worthwhile because of initial fees and the large money transfer for the deposit to get the SRRV and then lose the SRRV by moving back to the states. If you aren't starting a business or going to school, tourist visa would be right for you, in my opinion.

komments
Posted
Posted

I'm not sure what your question is but please check the other topics and ask whatever questions you have in whichever one is most appropriate. This thread pertains specifically to the SRRV Visa. Thanks.

I was asking if the SRRV Visa was right for my situation.  I thought my post was on-topic and would like to thank Robert K for his response.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

As I've said previously, I'm going through the process slow-time right now.  It's my understanding, and I could be wrong as I haven't investigated the options other than the one pertinent to myself, that the $1500USD version (sorry Bob, it's in USD on the PRA site :attention: ) has been expanded to include retired military that served long enough to qualify for a military pension from their respective countries but as I said, I could be wrong as the website hasn't been updated to reflect the broadening of criteria and can only state with any certainty that I qualify, well I will in 4 years unless they decide that the former Filipino citizen rules apply: 35 vs 50 years of age.  I plan to stick with the tourist visa for the time being and weigh my options after a couple of years there.  

By reading the PRA website your options are either the 20k USD or the 10k USD SRRV depending on your circumstances.  If you only want to stay for 3 to 5 years I believe you'd just be throwing your money away given that the tourist visa with extensions is now good for 3 years and a much cheaper option over that time, remembering that the SRRV, in any form, also requires a $1500USD application fee. 

It should also be noted that the final application can only be made from within The Philippines.  

Your best bet is to make contact with the PRA directly or your nearest Philippine consulate and ask them to explain the options that are available and best suit your circumstances.  I've found the PRA to be very helpful and prompt with regards to any inquiries I've made and the staff at the consulate here in Brisbane the same.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

komments
Posted
Posted

Thanks Brett.  Nearest consulate is in LA.  Wish there was one in Houston but no such luck.  Guess I can call though.  It will be 4 - 5 years before I retire anyway.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

As I've said previously, I'm going through the process slow-time right now.  It's my understanding, and I could be wrong as I haven't investigated the options other than the one pertinent to myself, that the $1500USD version (sorry Bob, it's in USD on the PRA site :attention: ) has been expanded to include retired military that served long enough to qualify for a military pension from their respective countries but as I said, I could be wrong as the website hasn't been updated to reflect the broadening of criteria and can only state with any certainty that I qualify, well I will in 4 years unless they decide that the former Filipino citizen rules apply: 35 vs 50 years of age.  I plan to stick with the tourist visa for the time being and weigh my options after a couple of years there.  

By reading the PRA website your options are either the 20k USD or the 10k USD SRRV depending on your circumstances.  If you only want to stay for 3 to 5 years I believe you'd just be throwing your money away given that the tourist visa with extensions is now good for 3 years and a much cheaper option over that time, remembering that the SRRV, in any form, also requires a $1500USD application fee. 

It should also be noted that the final application can only be made from within The Philippines.  

Your best bet is to make contact with the PRA directly or your nearest Philippine consulate and ask them to explain the options that are available and best suit your circumstances.  I've found the PRA to be very helpful and prompt with regards to any inquiries I've made and the staff at the consulate here in Brisbane the same.  

I spoke with someone from the PRA about the SRRV for former US military. You only need to have served in the US military, you do no have to have retired from the US military. I know someone who has already obtained an SRRV with only the $1,500 USD deposit required for former military who did not retire from the US military. Only served one or two terms.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Mayen
Posted
Posted

Hi,

One can join under the $1,500.00 if one used to be or is part of their native country's police or military force, or holds a diplomat function, or is a doctor, educator , but subject to additional documentation authenticated by the Philippine Embassy from the applicant's country of origin...and one also has to be 50 years old and above.

Required deposit in a PRA accredited bank is $1,500.00 under this SRRV Courtesy Scheme plus the processing fee of $1,400.00 and the 1 year annual fee of $360.00. One only needs to pay the $1,400.00 upon application but the $360.00 will be an annual thing until such time one decides to quit from the SRRV program.

The funds under the SRRVisa, regardles what scheme one will avail of can only be withdrawn via voluntary cancellation from the program, or purchase of a condominium unit, or long term lease of house and lot, subject of course to additional documentary requirements.

Other schemes of the PRA SRRV are the Smile, Classic and Human Touch, all with varying deposit requirements but basically the same documentary requirements the most important of which is the police clearance from country of origin authenticated by the Philippine Embassy of that country.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hi,

One can join under the $1,500.00 if one used to be or is part of their native country's police or military force, or holds a diplomat function, or is a doctor, educator , but subject to additional documentation authenticated by the Philippine Embassy from the applicant's country of origin...and one also has to be 50 years old and above.

Required deposit in a PRA accredited bank is $1,500.00 under this SRRV Courtesy Scheme plus the processing fee of $1,400.00 and the 1 year annual fee of $360.00. One only needs to pay the $1,400.00 upon application but the $360.00 will be an annual thing until such time one decides to quit from the SRRV program.

The funds under the SRRVisa, regardles what scheme one will avail of can only be withdrawn via voluntary cancellation from the program, or purchase of a condominium unit, or long term lease of house and lot, subject of course to additional documentary requirements.

Other schemes of the PRA SRRV are the Smile, Classic and Human Touch, all with varying deposit requirements but basically the same documentary requirements the most important of which is the police clearance from country of origin authenticated by the Philippine Embassy of that country.

Thanks for the clear, concise information Mayen :D