My Pinay Friend Is Going To Saudi

Thomas
Posted
Posted

My Pinay Friend Is Going To Saudi

It's very sad when anyone have to leave their kids to find work in other island. Even worse when they have to go abroad, because then they get even less chance to meet them  :boohoo:

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

of course it is sad. I cottoned on to that one very early like 10 years ago. I met a girl in CDO who had a kid in her hometown of Lonoy, near Jagna, Bohol. We went to Panglao, taking the CDO-Tagbilaran night ferry. Obviously while we were there, we had to go to her hometown. I got a electric toy car for the little lad. He was maybe 4. But when we got there he did not really recognise her. And even when we left, when she said goodbye to him, you could tell that he did not really comprehend that she was his mother. As far as he was concerned, Grandma was his mother, like millions of other little Filipinos. Later that changed when she met another kano and married him, and stayed in CDO. The lad then came over to live with them.

• 4 weeks later...
the_whipster
Posted
Posted

update

yes, despite my dounts, she really can speak Arabic. She has got a job in the check in area of a large hotel. She says she is the only pinay there. It sounds like they may be just gradually grooming her to be front desk. Nearly all the customers, obviously, are Arabic speakers. She is good enough already to take phone calls in Arabic and has even said how variable the Arabic accents are and that the Saudi accent is so much the easiest for her. Like I said on another thread, I would never underestimate, the linguistic ability of Filipinos.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I would be worried about a female friend working in Saudi as a domestic helper because of all the bad press.  But a job at a large hotel would be a great stepping stone.  I suspect she should be congratulated.

• Like 1

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

I know a girl who is about to embark on a 2 year tour of Saudi and have heard many horror stories, I am hoping she doesn't become one of them!

Bit off topic, but the reason she is going is some guy from the UK who she met thru a cousin of hers who knew this guy thru her husband got her pregnant after promising her the world to get into her pants. Yes I know it happens all the time, but now she has to leave her one year old kid behind and go make some money to support it ... the ass-wipe from the UK is a weak prick and has wiped his hands from her and wont respond to anyone who helped set up this union. sh&t for a measly $30-40 a week she could probably stay home with the kid - would love to meet him!

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

A lot of venom there Paul.  The only facts i see are:  Girl goes to Saudi to get job to support her kid.  Beyond that is very much off topic so I will ask other members not to go there.

(I have personally had one or more very trustworthy ladies tell me I am the father of their child and then later tell me it was all BS because the real father would not support the kid and they knew I was a stand-up guy.)

• Like 2

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

All good Dave .... feels good to say it tho :)

• Like 3

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

the kid is already over 5 and is still in Zambo, while she had already been in Manila a while when I met her for those few days. So it is not like it is a knee jerk reaction to her getting pregnant and then finding herself suddenly unable to support the kid. And - or at least so she told me - she had a pretty good job in QC as well, she said she was working in her uncle's furniture store. Meaning that her family sounded like a bit of a cut above, the average bunch of peasants. Perhaps her family already have existing links in Saudi and that is why she seems to have landed what sounds like a pretty good job so quickly.

I would be worried about a female friend working in Saudi as a domestic helper because of all the bad press.

so would I, if all i had to rely on was the 'bad press', like the newspaper articles we have all read. However none of the Filipinas I have ever met, and it is quite a few and I have asked them all, that have come back from working as domestic helpers or similar in the Middle East have said that anything bad happened at all.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Meaning that her family sounded like a bit of a cut above, the average bunch of peasants.

There you go again! You can't resist it can you.?

Edited by Jack Peterson

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

can't resist what? Again just an observation. Though I must stress iI only have her own account to go on and I didn't see it for myself, her uncle is affluent enough to own a furniture store, and not just any furniture store either, but one in the National Capital Region, the wealthiest part of the Philippines. That puts them in the top 10-20% of Filipinos at a stroke. Filipinos from more affluent families also go to the Middle East, to work. It is not something, that just the plebs do.