Route Cebu To Iloilo (Without Flying)

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

going to a travel agent to do this kind of totally straightforward itinerary is the silliest idea ever.

I would have normally assumed this is true but had a recent example of just the opposite. I was in Bohol and we were going to go from Tagbilaran to Dumaguete. I went to the website of the ferry company and it was hopelessly out of date.

the only thing you need for ferry information is the ferry advertisement page, of the Cebu Daily News - I rip it out and carry it around with me when I travel, it is much more up to date and reliable than any travel guide, or website. You cannot and never have been able to rely on ferry companies websites. Not to even an elementary level. Of course you can use travel agents to get up to date info on ferry routes too, and as I said, I do use them sometimes myself. But 9 times out of 10, you can just turn up at the port to get any ferry.

Tabuelan - Escalante

is that a decent route? it would be nice to stay out of cebu city.

I mean in terms of bus connections, for my purpose. ?

I can deal with Cebu city if need be.

the best surface route is the one you outlined yourself in the OP. Tabuelan is well to the north, maybe 70km north of Toledo. But you could bus to Toledo, stay there, then up the west side, 18km to Balamban, stay there, and then 50km to Tuburan where you could stay at the marvellous province 600 peso Viar Family Resort. When you get over to Negros, to Escalante, it is maybe 2 or 3 hours, to Bacolod by bus. From where you are now, Camotes, you could do directly to Tabuelan by going over the northern Sogod-Tabuelan pass - IF YOU HAD YOUR OWN BIKE. That is not so far from Danao, only about 55km and drops you right down in Tabuelan. This would be an awkward way to go by public transport though. Best way even to bus it to Tuburan, which is quite far north, is go to the south bus station,

What are you suggesting would be done with the bike at tuburan? Take on ferry or leave..... At the guest house?

Maybe one day I will take your advice when I see how it could all work out. If it's possible to hire a driver, I'll always take that preference. I don't mind paying for reasonable private transport.

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

there is no, or next to no public transport in deep province after dark, like Camotes, or Tuburan. From Danao, it is plentiful. You are in orbit of the city.

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

What are you suggesting would be done with the bike at tuburan? Take on ferry or leave..... At the guest house?

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

it is tricky because you always have to return the bike to the renter. You can rent a bike in Toledo and then drive it up to Balamban and Tuburan. But then you have to bring it back. Or pay them to get a Filipino to come and pick it up, which is bus fare and gas plus a days wages for them so really that is at least 400 if they were to get a bus up to Tuburan, pick up the bike and drive it back to Toledo themselves, Tuburan is just too sleepy for any kind of public transport at all after dark and you would have a job on even finding a motor or habel habel. There is just hardly any passing traffic at all, even motorbikes. There is always the Date In Asia motorbike hire option. Go on the website and ask around Tuburan girls if they have a relative willing to rent out a motor to a foreigner. That has worked a couple of times for me. But other times, it hasn't worked. 

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

going to a travel agent to do this kind of totally straightforward itinerary is the silliest idea ever. The best itinerary is probably the most obvious one, in the OP, crossing over into Negros by the Toledo-San Carlos ferry. But there are many ways you can cross over to Negros island from Cebu island by ferry.

these are the ones I know of

Bantayan - Cadiz

Tabuelan - Escalante

Toledo - San Carlos

Dumanjug - Guihulgan

Bato - Dumaguete

Santander - Dumaguete

I think there may be another port too south of Dumanjug, but north of Bato, where you can get a ferry over to Negros as well.

Hey Whippy,

Since Sandwichmaker revised his preference: I don't have any special or urgent need to get to Iloilo, hence the

preference to see things along the way. One will have way more memorable experiences on a sea+land trip, so

that's my reason.  

I would like to show my gratitude to you for this valuable boots on the ground report about ferry departures and

connections from the west coast of Cebu.  Thank you for sharing your travel experiences.

Respectfully -- Jake

You're welcome Jake!

Geeze -- what's a sailor has to do to get a beer around here.........

Edited by Jake
answering myself
  • Like 1