Foreigner Price In Camotes, For Real This Time

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted (edited)

(Quick Update, i checked the international ATM in poro town today, it was closed. same as last night)

So back on topic. I sent a text responding to an advert in poro town. How much for motor rental?

The reply was 

"International tourist, 500, local tourist 350 per day"

Honestly I don't want to argue with people who think this is justified. For me and my budget, I can't afford 500 per day, and I have already struggled with many motor rental people who won't give me a good price. I finally bit the bullet and got ripped off for 1.5 days, because i wanted the freedom, but in the end it wasn't worth it, in fact I felt it was especially a bad deal, on this island where personal transport is vital. And the bike had not the best brakes, which stressed me out on the steep/ twisty roads. Anyway...

I have settled to stick with hiring a driver, since I know a good one here, but the situation has really pissed me off, and I wouldn't come back to camotes without a motorbike or a girl who can act as the renter. 

For those who feel my pain, thanks. For everyone, regardless: just a bit of inside info for you. (Not looking for more stress, if you disagree, start your own topic about it, thanks)

Edited by sandwichmaker
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I can sympathize with being on a budget, I'm on a bit of a roller coaster in my budget myself. I do believe that I would not post if I did not want people to comment whether it be agreement or disagreement. Once I put it out there, it's fair game and grist for the mill.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Far as I am concerned, this is as good a place as any to vent your stress.  It also frustrates me when I know others can rent a motorbike for 300 and yet they charge me 500.

So what was the highlight of your trip to Camotes?  Best place to visit?  Best accommodation you found?

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't bother if the MOST poor try to make me pay a higher price for something cheap as e g a fruit    (but when I settle, I plan to print a t-shirt with some suiting text, which I can point at - smiling  - to show I understand they charge me to much, but I will pay - this time    :)

But I DON'T agree to such as the 350 > 500 GENERAL  difference

and I don't agree if they try to rip me off, when it's something expensive, then it's first haggling as Filipins do, and if they go on with different pricing, then I just don't buy from them...

• Like 2

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

Dave, the cave with underground freshwater, tidal pool was good, actually I was amazed! My first time to see such a thing. Bohu rock was a blast if you enjoy jumping into the sea from high places. Entry to both was 20 pesos/head.

Santiago beach, is the busiest beach on the islands, but still not too busy. My first night there was a Saturday night, definite highlight. Me and my companion made friends with a Fil-Canadian couple. Exchanging stories with him about travel and girls was fantastic.

Nena's grill on the said beach is impressive. 75 for a chicken curry. Lots of veg in it. And rice for 10 pesos! They were so busy it took 30 minutes. But on a beautiful beach, who cares ;)

Whippy recommended me Big Z pension house, which only had 1 other guest, out of 5 rooms. The family who run this are my favourite hospitality in the Philippines so far. And 350 pesos for a basic double fan room, with good swimming in the sea! Amazing! Its in the nice port town of Poro.

Also in Poro, JP Bistro, French American restaurant was unusually classy and still affordable. Pork ribs, fish soup with potato+shallots, and the half chicken were all good! I had a right laugh with the 2 girls working there, and taught one of them how to chop garlic properly! Price 125 to 150 main courses. Ice cream 30.

Camotes is 100% worth a visit. Shame I couldn't get Bantayan island rates to rent a motorbike (200 per day, or less). Still you can't have it all. Bantayan island sucks for cheap accommodation and food. Restaurants cost 220 / main minimum, hotels, 1200 minimum. But most of all, Bantayan is boring.

Poro town and San Francisco town both have good eateries.

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

best place for Dave to stay on the Camotes has got to be the Sunset Vista. It really is quite an impressive place, for the money. But I tend to move around even on islands. So last time I was on Camotes I stayed at Sunset at first because of the setting of the resort itself, its proximity to my favorite beach Esperanza, and because it is good for nearby snorkelling, and the Lake. But after maybe 5 days, I moved to the Big Z in Poro to save money and because Poro is the better of the two islands to drive around. Siquijor I stayed at a cheapie 350 guesthouse then moved to a more expensive beach bungalow with off shore snorkelling. It is so much better to wake up and just go swimming, than have to drive 15km first. Even when it is free. Camiguin, I started out at Laguna lodge, because I like it and it is close to snorkelling then moved to a more expensive place in Yumbing that is better placed for the Hot Springs, the falls and Mambajao.

Camotes only real weakness is that the motorbike hire scene is not satisfactory. But when you bring a bike over, that weakness disappears. People used to complain that Camotes was just too dead, and boring with no nightlife. The Bantayan crowd who are always trying to talk up Bantayan often say that. But that is not true like it used to be. All those places like the Bistro, the Bar and Grill, and Cindy's  that have opened up in Poro and San Fran weren't there 5 years ago.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was all set to follow that bit of advice, and then my sweet young thing said :  "No . . that area is Bumfvck Boring . . we need to be in Santiago where my parents are."

Seems it is a big deal that when you are living with a sweet young thing for 6 months then it is customary to go visit the parents.  I thought they lived in San Jose, near Esperanza but I was misinformed.  So any recommendations for Santiago area?

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was all set to follow that bit of advice, and then my sweet young thing said :  "No . . that area is Bumfvck Boring . . we need to be in Santiago where my parents are."

Seems it is a big deal that when you are living with a sweet young thing for 6 months then it is customary to go visit the parents.  I thought they lived in San Jose, near Esperanza but I was misinformed.  So any recommendations for Santiago area?

You know Dave, you're worse than a sailor -- you have a GF in every island, for christ sake!  And your latest

one has got some spunky attitude with this: No . . that area is Bumfvck Boring.....

That was a total classic, busted my hernia laughing !!

Edited by Jake
spil chek

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

And your latest one has got some spunky attitude with this: No . . that area is Bumfvck Boring.....

And here she is, the Sweet Young Spunky Thang  :-kiss:

post-41-0-18367200-1400076587_thumb.jpg

And yes, she speaks her mind, which at times has me doing a *face palm*  :bonk:

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

It's customary to visit the parents BEFORE start living with her  :)

• Like 1