How Not To Drive In The Rain!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yesterday afternoon we were planning a trip out and waited until a thunderstorm passed.  It stopped raining so we headed out and found the road blocked by a fire truck due to an accident.  I'm not sure if it happened during the heavy storm or afterward, but they certainly did not know how to drive very well.  I doubt that there were any major injuries (if they had seat belts on) and the driver was already gone when we arrived.  Luckily no other cars were involved.  We have several black Fortuners in the area.  I have seen a Korean lady driving a black Fortuner, and she has no confidence (5 kph down this hill) and should not be driving, but I don't think this is her, because I think her Fortuner is brand new.

This morning I headed down the hill for a bike ride and took these pictures.  They just left the car there and did not put any signs up to let people know that the situation was taken care of.  Just the cones.  When I was pulled over to take a picture a guy in a truck quickly pulled over, jumped out, and asked "is anybody in there?".  I told him no and that it happened yesterday.

That will be a hell of a tow truck job!  It is in a very awkward position!

Note the tire that could use a lot more tread!

Downhill view:

post-1784-0-76922400-1401151002_thumb.jp

Uphill views:

post-1784-0-49832000-1401151088_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-15448500-1401151175_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-37280400-1401151282_thumb.jp

post-1784-0-86214600-1401151328_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

is this on (inside)Subic proper? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This is inside Subic Bay Freeport Zone, on the road up to our neighborhood.

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
Other than the "easter egg" smooth tire, how in the world did that happen? Wonder if they were texting while driving see that a lot here in Lapu Lapu its a wonder that there aren't more accidents. :1 (103):
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

This is inside Subic Bay Freeport Zone, on the road up to our neighborhood.

Correct me if I'm wrong OMW but I believe that road is called Argonaut Highway leading up to the formal

US Navy officer's housing units.  It was one of my stompin' grounds going up to the teen club there (1966).  

That road is pretty steep with a lot of sharp turns.  Going downhill when you hit the brakes hard will make

you hydroplane instantly with those semi bald tires.  Good thing the driver survived and walked away for

fear of losing face.......he, he.  

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Yesterday afternoon we were planning a trip out and waited until a thunderstorm passed.

Other than the "easter egg" smooth tire, how in the world did that happen? Wonder if they were texting while driving see that a lot here in Lapu Lapu its a wonder that there aren't more accidents. :1 (103):

With such smooth tires, not much water is needed to get water planning  :)    (Or isn't such expression in English?)  It's extra sensitive for water on the road when going downhill.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yesterday when I went down the hill (yes Jake, that is Argonaut) they were pulling it out.  They had flipped in upright, probably after clearing some bamboo out of the way.  Then they put some tree stumps in the ditch and were pulling it out using a long steel tow bar.

The right side that was down in the pictures was really a mess.  The car would definitely be totaled in the US.  Here, I'm sure it will be for sale as a low mileage Fortuner soon!    :)

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Yesterday when I went down the hill (yes Jake, that is Argonaut) they were pulling it out.  They had flipped in upright, probably after clearing some bamboo out of the way.  Then they put some tree stumps in the ditch and were pulling it out using a long steel tow bar.

The right side that was down in the pictures was really a mess.  The car would definitely be totaled in the US.  Here, I'm sure it will be for sale as a low mileage Fortuner soon!    :)

Yeah, I could just imagine their sales pitch:

Low mileage, minor blemishes on the side, alignment feels solid pulling to the right

Tires are purposely shaven to decrease weight and promotes power sliding around corners

Car doesn't drive too well during texting or putting on make up -- a manufacturer's defect, 

Car only lost face once, don't mind about the smell -- someone had a sudden movement

of the turd kind.

Selling 50% off from the original 250% markup....... 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Selling 50% off from the original 250% markup....... 

Buyer provides the tow Truck  :hystery:  :hystery:       post-2148-0-02328000-1401240149.jpg

:tiphat:  :cheers:

(Never too early for a beer) [i'm Retired]

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

I have actually seen at least 3 similar accidents in the last 2 years on the hill approaching the SCTEX as you leave the Freeport. That road is notoriously slippery when wet due to the overloaded, poorly maintained large haulers dripping oil.