Where Are The Filipino Canteens In Cebu City?

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

I'm staying in Cebu city, walking distance from Ayala and can't find a good canteen. There's one but they put the food in wide open containers so it goes cold v quickly and it's behind glass too.

I want a place with big pots you can lift the lid of yourself. In the area I was staying before in Mandaue there's a lot of good canteens.

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

Don't know of anything by Alyala, but SM is not too far and NEAR SM you could find SuToKil (Sugba, Tola, Kilaw). There you would find a lot of good, fresh fish choices.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

Manila is where you will find the best caranderias in the Philippines. The people there are pickier and won't put up with just any old garbage like in the province. Cebu is hit and miss, and frankly mostly miss. There are some good ones around the hospitals like Chong Hua in the Fuente area, one or two are even airconditioned but not expensive. I think it is because the hospital staff are again, picky compared to most.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

R&R calendaria on vrama ask a cabbie and larsian by choing hua

• Like 1

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

R&R calendaria on vrama ask a cabbie and larsian by choing hua

Could you be generous enough to look up which intersection (cross street) R&R is on ?

Whip.Don't totally agree. There's a great canteen near the bottom of Hernan cortes street. It's a bit far from where I'm staying now though.

• Like 1

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

the better caranderias are often situated close by to hospitals, you can see it in other cities too. You would have seen that in Iligan, when you were staying at Famous Pension right by the sanitarium. The standard goes up just a notch, either or both because the customers are pickier or when there is more competition, then that is supposed to usually improve standards.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know this OP is asking about the local eateries in Cebu but whenever you're in town of Manila, please take

note of the following news article (Tondo, metro Manila):

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/30/world/asia/philippines-pagpag-slums/ excerpts (May 2012):

(CNN) -- Felipa Fabon waits outside a local fried chicken restaurant in Manila. Crouching near to feral cats and rubbish bins,

she isn't there to meet friends for dinner but to search through the diner's trash bags.  "I'm sorting the garbage, looking for

'pagpag'," she says.  In Tagalog "pagpag" means the dust you shake off your clothing or carpet, but in Fabon's poverty

stricken world, it means chicken pulled from the trash.  Pagpag is the product of a hidden food system for the urban poor

that exists on the leftovers of the city's middle class.

Personally, the food from canteens or the street is OK with me.  From the street, it's much more exciting --

anywhere from soda poured into a recycled plastic bag with recycled straw, to freshly cut mangos, even

though the street vendor just returned peeing from the nearest wall to my favorite mystery meat on a stick

with a fly or two.  Just as long I can chase it down with some cold San Magoo, I'm good to go......

Dang, that was nasty......are farts suppose to be lumpy?

Edited by Jake
fart check
  • Like 2

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

it is always an idea, if you want to eat good off the street in the Philippines, to do it close by to major workplaces. Like shipyards, factories, and hospitals but not colleges and universities so much. Those consumers, have got jobs and that means they are getting a wage. That makes them picky. They won't put up, with any old garbage to eat.

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

R&r is in front of the crown regency on vrama no idea on a side street

• Like 1

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted (edited)

R&r is in front of the crown regency on vrama no idea on a side street

A bit far. I'm staying near UP - University Philippines. Maybe that's my mistake haha. Right whip? Still I noticed a good selection of places south of IT Park. All those call Centre workers ;)

Actually following Whip's logic there should be good canteens near JY. There are some call centres there.

Edited by sandwichmaker
  • Like 1