Where Are The Filipino Canteens In Cebu City?

the_whipster
Posted
Posted

yes I would expect there to be reasonable eateries wherever there is a profusion of call centers also quite a lot of delivery places operating at all hours too. Even very late at night. Call center workers can tend to eat at their desks.

decent eateries being near workplaces is not some immutable law though. In Balamban the best eateries are not in Balamban town itself but by the shipyard 4km south of town, in Buanoy. However in Danao the eateries by the Mizumi factory are not particularly good. But they open and close so fast. So it is a bit silly to recommend one when it might not even be there next month.

• 3 months later...
UnCheckedOther
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know this OP is asking about the local eateries in Cebu but whenever you're in town of Manila, please take

note of the following news article (Tondo, metro Manila):

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/30/world/asia/philippines-pagpag-slums/ excerpts (May 2012):

(CNN) -- Felipa Fabon waits outside a local fried chicken restaurant in Manila. Crouching near to feral cats and rubbish bins,

she isn't there to meet friends for dinner but to search through the diner's trash bags.  "I'm sorting the garbage, looking for

'pagpag'," she says.  In Tagalog "pagpag" means the dust you shake off your clothing or carpet, but in Fabon's poverty

stricken world, it means chicken pulled from the trash.  Pagpag is the product of a hidden food system for the urban poor

that exists on the leftovers of the city's middle class.

Personally, the food from canteens or the street is OK with me.  From the street, it's much more exciting --

anywhere from soda poured into a recycled plastic bag with recycled straw, to freshly cut mangos, even

though the street vendor just returned peeing from the nearest wall to my favorite mystery meat on a stick

with a fly or two.  Just as long I can chase it down with some cold San Magoo, I'm good to go......

Dang, that was nasty......are farts suppose to be lumpy?

Man, Jake. You've gotten me nostalgic for the plastic bag and recycled straw soda. I remember those from childhood visits in the Philippines, as well as the avocado and red bean plastic bag icicle. My faves would have to be the kilingkiling bell sorbetes cart (cheese, avocado, and ube!) and the fish ball cart (brown sauce plus tusok...fun). My lola is a bit of a germaphobe and would not allow me to eat street food, but I'd offer to go with her to mass every Sunday and would sneak out during communion :) She said it was "gaba" from God because my stomach would go "butod" after.

As far as canteens go, the other posters are right: Chong Hua is a good bet. There's Larsian nearby. Actually, your other best bets would be to go to unis; there are tons of good but cheap eats to cater to students. My cousins attended USC-TC and they took us to this place between there and Santo Nino Village. I forgot the name but this place made excellent ngohiong. Ngohiong is like lumpia/eggroll except spicier and the skin looks wrinkled like Benny Button. I don't know if the place is still open or where it is exactly, but my grandfather used to have suits made at Le Baron and there was a carenderia type place that our driver would hang out at while grandfather was getting fitted. He raved about the food so much that my dad and I joined him one time. It's inside a multi-purpose building. There was an M. Lhuillier in front of it, and the side entrance of it had people selling Filipino love story xomics thingies.

Edited by Jake
Moved Unchecked quotations outside my box
  • Like 1

akcebu
Posted
Posted

There are OK canteens in the UP vicinity, just follow the students :) there's one called white gate formerly know as brown gate, when facing the oblation statue, that's on the left side of the school entrance gate, near the store with the photocopy machine, just follow that narrow side street :)

There's also a cafeteria in Ayala, yes inside the mall, go to the fourth level, and near fitness first and I think the island grill restaurant, there's a door that leads to a fire exit stairs to the rooftop, they serve cheap eats there with lower price for staff, but they also serve non staff :)

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

would anyone have photos to post of these "canteens"

so that others would know what they look like and what to expect when eating there?

not every member has  arrived or visited yet.

• Like 1