California Refugee Seeking Employment

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I'm looking to relocate to the Philippines to escape the high cost of living in California.  I've come to the realization that I would like to retire before I die.  So I'm actively seeking out expat employment with companies located around Cebu IT Park.

While on my sabbatical leave, I scouted out the Pasay/Makati area back in April and wasn't too impressed.  I'll be in Cebu City between June 14-30th and will be looking for potential places to live nearby while I'm there. 

Any advice or assistance with job opportunities, places to live, etc, would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Andy

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the Forum, Andy. I moved your post from Introductions since you are asking a specific question. Keep in mind salaries are very low in the Philippines compared to the US, even for upper-level IT professionals. 

• Like 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Hi MikeB,

Thanks for the reply!

So far the scope of my employment search has been limited to US based companies with opportunities in the Phils.  I wasn't sure how the pay differential applies to expats relocating there for US based employers. 

Any ideas on salary ranges for opportunities there?  That would help me determine the salary to cost of living ratios I need to make a decision.

Thanks!

Andy

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Your best bet is a US company that allows you to relocate either as an employee or a contractor. Salaries here are generally presented as monthly, I don't think you will see above the equivalent of $20k per year from a local company. Most are much less. There's also the issue of work permits.  

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

I've heard that it is posible to e-commute in Fil.  I have an acquaintance who does medical transcription from two docs in US.  Another does programing.   

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hi Andy,

I've found the following websites useful in the past:

This one is PI salaries, not sure how accurate it is but from what little I know it's not too far off the mark:

http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=171&loctype=1

This one is a cost of living comparisons between cities anywhere in the world.  From experience it is reasonably accurate:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

Hope it helps a little.

Brett

• Like 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

MikeB, Gerald, Brett,

It's definitely helps having people who are knowledgeable and have been through the process of relocating there.

I've also read through some of the other forums to get an idea on the cost of living there.  I'll look into the home-based opportunities as well.  I have quite a bit of experience with technical documentation, software development and testing, all of which can be done remotely.

One thing stopping me from relocating now is my current savings situation.  I only have about $15k cash in savings, which is only 6 months living expenses without any income. Until I can secure at least $3k/month in income ($2k living/ $1k savings), I won't be able to relocate.

Thanks for your help!

Andy

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Hi Andy and welcome. You might also want to look into the Alabang/Filinvest area which is south of Manila but still in the Metro Manila area. I see a lot of westerners there dressed in business casual (unlike shorts like us retired guys) it is a growing area that the locals are referring to as Makati south.

As to your questions so far, having gone through the re-location jitters myself, I know you are probably looking for some concrete information to determine if a relocation is feasible or not. There is a lot more to consider though. Your age? How long before you are eligible for social security and therefore a steady source of income. Can't help but notice the young lady in your picture, Wife? Is she Filipina? If so is she an American citizen? Filipino citizen? Dual Citizen? The answer to those will affect the type of visa you will need just to live here let alone work here. What ever type might also add to  your cost of living here. Children? Educational expenses?

Its not that we are being Nosey...but since we live in the Philippines we do thrive on Chismis (gossip heh heh) which is a Filipino staple. So the more information, the more detailed responses.

Also there is a treasure trove of information going back years on the forum. If you don't get the responses you are looking for try the search function as a last resort.

Again welcome and good luck

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Hi Scott H,

Thanks for the welcome!

I'll be turning 50 next month, so I won't be eligible for SS for another 17 years.  That is if it is still around then or they haven't raised the retirement age again.  If I wanted to retire, I do qualify for about $2100/mo SS disability income.  Had a bad head injury from a car accident a few years ago.

It's funny that you mention business casual and shorts.  As living in California and being in the tech industry (Intel), most of us wear shorts and t-shirts to work.

The young lady in the picture is my fiance who is a Filipina citizen, so once we're married I'll be able to get resident visa.  She is from Hilongos, Leyte, but is currently staying family in Quezon City since Typhoon Haiyan hit last year.  She went to university at Cebu Institute of Technology, so she is very familiar with the area and speaks Visayan dialects.

I'm hoping by building my social networks there and with a little bit of luck, I'll be able to find a good job so that we could live comfortably.

Andy

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Andy, is there some type of Tech job skill you have that could be done as a subcontractor something done from home? If so perhaps you could do so located in Philippines. Reliable high speed internet and electrical power can be difficult in many areas over there but its an option.