California Refugee Seeking Employment

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Hi Old55,

I have a lot of experience with writing technical docs, software development and testing which all can be done remotely.  So I've started looking into home-based businesses.  I've done business-continuity / disaster recovery planning, so I can put those skills to use if I setup a home-based business :)

Thanks!

Andy

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
I'll be turning 50 next month, so I won't be eligible for SS for another 17 years.

You can collect Social Security benefits at age 62 although the amount will be much smaller.

My suggestion is to establish good business contacts while in California for IT work you can do in the Philippines. You are paid in US dollars and your living expenses is Philippine pesos. Start-up costs are minimal. More important is getting good Internet connection in Cebu. 

Another possibility is to broker IT work between companies in the United States and service providers in the Philippines. The American companies know it is cheaper to get the work done overseas. Their problem is trust and confidence that the work will get done. An American in the Philippines supervising the work might be a solution.for such companies.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Their problem is trust and confidence that the work will get done. An American in the Philippines supervising the work might be a solution.for such companies.

There my friend, could well be, your answer.

Go sell yourself :thumbsup:

:tiphat:

• Like 1

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Thanks JJReyes!

You got me sold! 

:cheersty:

Andy

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I've also read through some of the other forums to get an idea on the cost of living there. I'll look into the home-based opportunities as well. I have quite a bit of experience with technical documentation, software development and testing, all of which can be done remotely.
Besides them who have retired, some expats live of:

/having own Internet business

/do some assignments, which can be handled through Internet, for foreign customers*

/some work elsewhere some months per year and live of that in Phils the rest of the year

/some have employments in Phils, because they have some special skill e g English as first language. I don't know your skill levels, but Call Centers employ many, I DON'T mean them who talk there, but perhaps they need support of their equipment and have problem to find skilled enough such.

/some start own business. Few of them earn from it   :)

*I have a part time such, which I hope I can keep living in Phils, hope payer not become grumpy if they notice I have left Sweden :)

(Almost never needed, but it's possible they want a meeting fast. I can be hard if living more than 24 hours away   :)

But I will start some own business in Phils too anyway.

I'll be turning 50 next month, so I won't be eligible for SS for another 17 years. That is if it is still around then or they haven't raised the retirement age again. If I wanted to retire, I do qualify for about $2100/mo SS disability income.
Then you can have enough by that, if you don't get to many kids or to expensive extended family    :)
  • Like 1

gmb8585
Posted
Posted

$2100us is an adequete amount to live in the philippines and live well. I'd consider taking it and then finding a job over there to supplement that amount. 100000p per month and you can live the life and you most certainly will not find a job offering anywhere near that amount anywhere in the Phils. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 4

deevey
Posted
Posted

You could start out freelancing on freelancer.com or Odesk.

Once you have a few jobs under your belt you can start to build a team and simply be the middleman, being an ex-pat and being able to actually talk to clients makes a huge difference when it comes to getting hired for jobs. 

I know there are certain locations where internet plain sucks, but thankfully in Manila I've only had maybe 10 major internet outages in the past 5 years and have a smartbro stick as backup anyhow. 

I know quite a few ex-pats earning pretty damn good money in the IT / BPO area though if you want a "job" and normally includes housing / transport etc... 

• Like 2

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Hi Deevy,

Thanks for the reference, I'll check them out!

Regards,

Andy