Texas Rex Bbq

robert k
Posted
Posted

$20-$30 per kilo is about what i would expect to pay for a decent, not even great cut of steak here in Texas in the US. Factors being the drought and the federal mandate for alcohol in gasoline driving the price of corn up so less and more expensive feed for fattening cattle. Prices in the Philippines do not sound too bad to me.

Because of the hormones the cattle raisers are giving the cattle to make them put on more lean weight, if I go out for a steak, I go someplace where I can select my own steak, to avoid getting a shoeleather one. :tiphat: 

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

Bring a new comer, I listened to my gf and bought T-Bone steak from SM. It was expensive relative to the other meats so I assumed it was one of the best!

She cooked it for lunch and boy. It was the worst experience I had. It was like eating an old slipper :)

She was on the other hand, extremely happy coz it was her first time thinking she was eating a steak!

Never again ... listen to her :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Most local beef is tough as shoe leather because most of it is from old cows some of which died from old age and some from disease, plus Filipinos do not hang beef to allow it to stretch out before selling it.  The only place I have found tender local beef is in Pagadian City in Mindanao where adult male and female cows are used for breeding and only young cow meat is sold.

S&R in Cebu has some very good Australian Marbled Beef. Its named MELTIQUE and is in the frozen section in a red, white and black box.  Five Ribeye Steaks which cost about P1,500. weigh about 1kg.  P1,500. divided by 5 = P300. each.  Maybe a little expensive but you get what you pay for, at least its very tender and tasty not like the local beef that's so tough that I can't chew it half of the time.

S&R also has some imported beef which was about P300 for 3 steaks which was wrapped in plastic wrap and in the cooler but not frozen.  Don't know which country it came from but it was tender too.

I recommend if you cook local beef you should buy a pressure cooker and cook it at 15PSI for at least 20 minutes.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Thanks Americano, I will be looking for that Australian beef I am sure. Most likely I will eat more pork but it's good to know that there is something available when you just have to have steak. :tiphat: 

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Thanks Americano, I will be looking for that Australian beef I am sure. Most likely I will eat more pork but it's good to know that there is something available when you just have to have steak. :tiphat: 

SM Bacolod has frozen Australian and Angus beef steaks.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Bring a new comer, I listened to my gf and bought T-Bone steak from SM. It was expensive relative to the other meats so I assumed it was one of the best!

She cooked it for lunch and boy. It was the worst experience I had. It was like eating an old slipper :)

She was on the other hand, extremely happy coz it was her first time thinking she was eating a steak!

Never again ... listen to her :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife would never eat beef in the PI and even on her first trip to Canada, she was reluctant to even try it but now, she loves it. We BBQ ribeyes ourselves and eat at steakhouses. She still overcooks her steak. Her diet completely changes in Canada with rice only twice a month. She loves king oyster mushrooms.

PS: I bought some sharp cheddar cheese from Wisconsin last week at SM.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
S&R in Cebu has some very good Australian Marbled Beef. Its named MELTIQUE

It probably is good eating but the marble is not natural its infused into the meat.

Meltique Beefs unique technique uses a highly developed method of inserting soluble oil into lean meat cuts to baste the meat internally through the cooking process.

This ensures that all the natural juices are retained so the full flavour profile and tenderness of Australian beef is consistently delivered.
Our method perfects the traditional French ‘larding’ process and applies it successfully to a range of primal frozen beef products at very competitive prices.     http://www.meltiquebeef.com.au/

• 2 weeks later...
russellmania
Posted
Posted

Theres construction going on along A.S Fortuna st and it always looks as Tex Rex is closed. Past by tonight around 8pm and it was as dark as a crypt.

philosophery
Posted
Posted

Forgive my ignorance but what is S&R?

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

I think they are closed on monday