Helmets In Bohol

Americano
Posted
Posted

It seems the local government here is at war with poor people and their ability to get around. Motorbike transport is crucial here in Bohol because it is an affordable form of transport, especially when you put 4 on a motorbike, which is very common here. Who can really carry around 4 helmets?

They obviously know it's not reasonable that's why they hardly enforce it. I won't be wearing one but I will pray I don't get fined. Someone here said the fine is P3,000. Anyone know if that's true? 

http://www.theboholstandard.com/fpage.php?issue=279&s1=4775

It seems weird when you consider many US states have no helmet requirement. Yet here they do.

"I won't be wearing one"  referring to a helmet.  Admitting that you will willing be violating Philippine law is not a good thing and could even get you deported. I wouldn't say it too loud if I was you.  As a guest in this country you are expected to obey the laws.  Saying you will not obey a law could mean you are an undesirable alien and therefore eligible to be deported.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Extra important with helmet when being in a country with

not subsidiced medical care

and crazy traffic...      :)

Edit:   If not aiming at "suicide" if get hit    :)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For gawd's sake, people!  Wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle!  Who cares if it's the law?  It's the smart thing to do!!!

Both Mike B and I (and I don't know how many others on this forum) are walking examples of being alive today because we wore our helmets!  Don't be a dead ass...  I mean, dumb ass!

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

If you are not wearing a helmet please get on the donners list

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
If you are not wearing a helmet please get on the donners list

Not too sure, there will be a call, for squashed heads BUT Point taken

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Filipino friends tell me that laws in the Philippines are merely suggestions because they are difficult to enforce. Place a "No Parking" sign and that's an invitation for motorists to park. The reasoning is the limited space for parking in the city. They have no other choice. The traffic problem is partially attributed to car owners attending meetings or functions  while their drivers slowly circle several blocks waiting.

While I agree that a helmet is a very good safety equipment, the question is, "How do you enforce the law?" The police may engage in temporary campaigns that include the media to document the event with the chief of police wearing his best uniform. They can't do it in a consistent manner. Violators might be harassed by traffic cops, but they are let go in exchange for "merienda" or snack money and a severe verbal reprimand. Rather than laws, suggestions or informational campaigns might be a better approach. 

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Usually when my wife and I see a cop riding a motorcycle in Carcar he is not wearing a helmet either. Shouldn't they be setting an example for others to follow?

Last year I counted motorcyclists riding past my apartment who were wearing a helmet. Only 2 out of every 100 riders was wearing a helmet.  LTO and PNP claim they don't have enough money to enforce the traffic laws. If they started writing tickets for all of the violators then they would have more than enough money.

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

When I got in my motorcycle accident a taxi cut me off. I wiped out and landed up against a truck. My head hit the wheel of the truck pretty hard. I was wearing a helmet thank god. But I got a lot of road scraping on a lot of my body. When I came to lying by the truck. The owner of the truck was trying to show me a piece of plastic that my head had knocked off his truck. It was about 2 iches long and he wanted money before the ambulance came to get me. I was in shock and just laughed at him. I know in this heat is hard to wear long pants and long sleave tshirts and a helmet while on a bike but if you ever get into an accident you will wish you had

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
earthdome
Posted
Posted

Usually when my wife and I see a cop riding a motorcycle in Carcar he is not wearing a helmet either. Shouldn't they be setting an example for others to follow?

Last year I counted motorcyclists riding past my apartment who were wearing a helmet. Only 2 out of every 100 riders was wearing a helmet.  LTO and PNP claim they don't have enough money to enforce the traffic laws. If they started writing tickets for all of the violators then they would have more than enough money.

Today I counted motor bike/cycle riders in Baguio who were not wearing a helmet and came up with a big fat zero. I saw hundreds of riders and every single one was wearing a helmet.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Today I counted motor bike/cycle riders in Baguio who were not wearing a helmet and came up with a big fat zero. I saw hundreds of riders and every single one was wearing a helmet.

So the helmet law is being enforced in Baguio but in most places in the Philippines the law is not being enforced.  This week I was in Dumaguete where very few were wearing a helmet.