Manila... Davao... Manila... Davao... Who's Got A Coin?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Time for the confusion to begin...  For the last couple years I have researched the snot out of Cebu and all the little places upon the island...  Heck, I can even tell you what streets are connected to what streets in Lutopan - and even which streets are misspelled on the street signs!  And now that the big dip in the pond is almost imminent, the future Inihan-inlaw has decided that she (and my Special Someone) should move back closer to family again.   :1 (103):   After all, it was just the 2 of them in Cebu and now that she is getting up there in (rhymes with rage if I use a number :1 (72):   - just kidding!) and her health is slipping away, well, that means either Manila or Davao!  Obviously (for those of you who know me) I am not going to enjoy Manila to an overly excited extent.   :boohoo:  And Davao looks like a fun town for planting firecrackers under parked cars!   :kidding:   Seriously, I already have my answers written inside my skull but it's possible somebody could come up with something I had not thought about...  Something that I hadn't thought about very thoroughly...  (Like I didn't think of what to write in this post!)  So...

Does anybody have a particularly valid reason (beyond the normal ones) in why I should pray for one location over the other?

:th_hu:  :rolleyes:  :mocking:  :10001:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Hi Bob,

Don't get stressed out over choosing where to live. There are many good places to live but each person has to find the one they are comfortable with after they get here.  You can come here and rent in any area you are interested in for a while and then try another area.  If you travel light then its very easy to travel from one location to another.

By the way where is your special girl from and where is she now?  And, when are you planning to arrive in the Philippines?  The more you can share the better forum members can try to help you.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Bob, I don't think I would give up so soon. Is there not one good hospital in Cebu? I try to remain flexible but I am not so quick to throw away long laid plans. Is there a really compelling reason, {there would have to be for me to live in Manila, I'm just not a megatropolis person}? I mean they might have just woke up with the idea that a change would be good or decide after being in Davao for a week that they liked what they had before better, the grass is always greener syndrome. I would ask why they were in Cebu to begin with and if the reasons are no longer operative? Why do they have to move, just because you are arriving? I believe Americano is right and I would not put down deep roots right away.

I have had someones come up with ideas and I'm sure they came up with ideas all the time which were never acted upon and a new idea evolved, there is a difference when you are added to the equation and the time lag between the idea and execution / fruition may be as short as a couple days and not months. Tell them you can change plans but you will be staying in Cebu for 2 to 3 months, before moving elsewhere. :tiphat:

As for which one to pick? Why pick one at all? If the driving force deciding where you will live is to please someone else, it only makes sense to have them choose the location, right? Either place will have their ups and downs and you can just roll with it either way. If someone is unhappy with the selection [ see grass is greener syndrome above ] then the selection was not your fault. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Does anybody have a particularly valid reason (beyond the normal ones) in why I should pray for one location over the other?

OK, let's eliminate the normal reasons first: (please add any items missed)

Extended family issues

Loud obnoxious neighbors, including roosters, dogs, etc

Peace and order situation of immediate or regional area

Proximity of clinics, hospitals, school, malls, consulate

Traffic or commuting nightmares

Personal safety, especially your wife or GF

Your hobbies and where to go (beaches, diving, tennis, etc)

Internet and wireless coverage and its stability

Power stability 

Areas of Typhoon, earthquakes, potential volcanic eruptions (like Mt Taal) 

Beyond the normal ones?  That's a hard one for me.  Unless something extraordinary happens within your subdivision,

condo or apartment like it's being overrun by NPA or any wannabe rebels or govt soldiers (they could be just as bad).

Americano and Robert made excellent suggestions about staying flexible, especially during the first few months there.  

Now, here's the kicker in my view -- remain flexible but also seek a compromise.  My wife Judy would probably live in

Makati (close to her sister) but I would die of respiratory ailments, noise, traffic and thousands of nuts-to-butts people.

You may enjoy that type of lifestyle, if you were a young stud still considering yourself non destructible.  

Me.....I much rather prefer cleaner, quieter surroundings during my golden years.  But sipping mango daiquiris in some

remote paradise may have some detrimental effects on your wife or GF.  Sure, an extended vacation at Bohol is nice

but Judy will definitely try to get back to Makati.  What are you gonna do?  Your boss (wife or GF) will throw a fit (tampo,

suplada, bolo knife, etc) if she doesn't get her way.  In that case, you have no choice or flexibility and no compromise.

Discussions about your future residence between the two of you must be communicated early in your relationship when

you're still in the honeymoon stage.  By the way, don't make any babies just yet.....he, he.   

Personally, due to many wonderful comments about Baguio and the former Subic Base, I would like to settle down in

either one of those locations.  They are somewhat westernized but I also like the comments from Markham about his

city of Davao.  The peace and order there is conducive of raising a young family.

As they said....es sup to you darling.  But make sure you make the right decision, otherwise you will definitely know

the meaning of tampo.......he, he.  Perhaps I should go into the dog house business, building customized and XXL

size doggie homes for the poor expats.

Good boy ako -- Jake 

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bob,

If your girl really cares about you and wants to have a life with you then she should be willing to live with you in other places besides Manila or Davao.  If you want to live for a while somewhere in Cebu province and she refuses then its my guess that your relationship will not last very long. If you only have to fulfill her wants and desires and yours do not matter then what kind of relationship is that?  Filipino women are taught to listen to and follow their husband's decisions and especially their religious beliefs.  Just tell her where you want to live and if she doesn't want to live there with you then there are more fish in the sea.  Millions of Filipinas are waiting for you so don't give up.

Edited by Americano
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

One of our retirement strategies is to get rid of material possessions. That includes ownership of a single family residence or condo. This gives us flexibility and the ability to change locations anytime one place is no longer suitable. Research is part of the fun, but trying to compare two places will drive you crazy. There is no perfect location. 

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

I'll take a different approach.  As I understood it, the choice is theirs, and you are happy to accommodate, but are just not sure which your preference would be. 

It will be a period of adjustment for all, but coming from Lutopan, Davao would probably be closer to their comfort zone than Manila would be. 

We like Manila (even contemplating building in Pasay or Eastwood, and very recently, purchasing my wife's relative's corner lot property in Makati), and if it were not for our strong preference to be living beachfront, would be comfortable in the metro.

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Simple solution. Convert a Jeepny into a motor-home! Now there is some flexibility to get around and feel out the whole country. Well, as long as there are roads and ferries you can access.

:dance:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the answers guys! MacBubba hit it bang on the head... I am willing to let them have the decision on which they wish to move to. Incidentally, my moving to the Philippines had nothing to do with the decision to move. A you know, just about every Filipino family is close and live that way... Close. Except for my Special Someone and her mother. All the family is odd the greater Metro area or in Davao. Mom is older now and if seeing her mortality living Av alone with no family but me. So she wants to move so she can (a) spend her few remaining years amongst family members; and (b) let Av learn about the family she never knew she had. Mom is in her 70s so I am not even going to consider saying "No". This move has nothing to do with me other than I will follow my Special Someone if need to. Who knows? There is a reason mom moved to Cebu all those years ago... Maybe it will still apply? :)

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Filipino women are taught to listen to and follow their husband's decisions

:hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:  :rolleyes:  OH! Boy, How come I  got the  Odd one out??

:tiphat: JP

• Like 5