Manila... Davao... Manila... Davao... Who's Got A Coin?

jon1
Posted
Posted

Filipino women are taught to listen to and follow their husband's decisions

:hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:  :rolleyes:  OH! Boy, How come I  got the  Odd one out??

:tiphat: JP

Mine is aweful hard headed sometimes I think that she is letting me think I get my way ;) :D

Back on topic; If it is Manila or Davao, definitely Davao. Manila is congested, polluted, corrupted and a major PITA to live in. The pollution is so bad that annual respiratory checkups are advisable. Davao may be in Mindanao but from my experience it is probably the most secure place for a foreigner to live in Mindanao. It is a large metro area and congested traffic comes with it. The winds keep the pollution down and you are below the Typhoon belt. The mayor's familly run the place like Dirty Harry which is not a bad thing. I would look up the medical facilities to see if they fit your needs. To me, Cebu is just barely above Davao. I do not like metros which is why I chose the Subic Freeport.

• Like 5

kenn
Posted
Posted

It will be Davao for me too based on the Dirty Harry Mayor rule that keeps the crime down. I am going there next week to pick a place.

• Like 3

Alby
Posted
Posted

I had chosen Davao after visiting it and the PI before.

I moved to it 5 months ago and made it my temp home. I say temp coz I had a list of other cities after it.

I checked Dumaguete just last month to get it out of my system. It was a dump for me and it canceled other places like Bacolod and Palawan.

I found out that I won't enjoy a place if I drive or away from conciliation much.

In Davao I found the following ...

1- Dirty Harry has kept it under control! People don't abuse much. All taxis use metered WITHOUT asking and it starts at 40 P.

2- Has several big and advanced malls. Never mind the mediocre products and

prices (it's all over the PI)

3- immigration is very accessible and in town

4- Has an international airport

5- one can choose where to live depending on budget

6- Still has it's tradition

Bad things ...

1- Weather is humid!

2- getting slowly spoiled but not all. I'd be dead when it does :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Coffeehound
Posted
Posted

Davao strikes me as feeling like a big small town. It's geographically large enough to not feel congested like most big cities do. There seems to be a sense of community too, also something a lot of metro areas lack. Perhaps the biggest plus is it is absolutely a law and order kind of town - with polite law enforcement... And yes the DDS is for real (bless them).

The only potential downside is being so big you'll really need to have a car - or you will wish you did. Place feels a lot like Houston in the spring or fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Well, thanks for all the answers but things have changed again.

The reason for the big move is that Mom is pretty sick.  At present Mom is living in Lutopan while my Special Someone is working on her Masters in Cebu and then she comes home to mom on weekends.  Now mom wants to spend the rest of her life more of her family and there seems to be a big rush on.  The couple family members that were living in Davao are pulling up stakes and moving towards the family homestead.  My Special Someone is willing to pass on the rest of the year regarding her degree and go back next year as Mom won't move without her - looking out for her youngest daughter.  So it looks like I will be moving to a little bit north of where I thought I would be but not Manila...  hehe!  The family is spread throughout the Pampanga area...  Could be Angeles...  Could be San Fernando...  I know of one brother who lives by the dyke and had minor damage to his house during the last typhoon.  So...  Anybody know of any good townhouses/apartments/tent camping in the area?  hehe!  And then, if all works out, back to Cebu next summer for that Master's degree again.

:1 (103):  :rolleyes:  :mocking:  :tiphat:

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Hi Bob,

I could put you in touch with my ex-if you like (we're still friends).  She and her partner live in a gated compound with 24 hour security in Angeles, about 3 minutes trike away from Nepo Mall and not far from the Holy Angel University.  I know her landlady (how do you say cougar player with a great sense of fun in tagalog?) always has one or two vacant properties.  Arlyn and Heath pay about 12k PHP a month for a 2 bedroom furnished townhouse exactly the same design as the video Papa Carl posted last year - if you remember that at all.  I know that said landlady owns a couple of these in the same area.  Papa Carl could probably point you in the right direction too, I believe he lives at Clarke.  

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Tensan+Steet,+Angeles,+Philippines/@15.1318357,120.588907,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x3396f2546ec4ad67:0xf69fe1dfee475b83

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hi Bob,

I could put you in touch with my ex-if you like (we're still friends).  She and her partner live in a gated compound with 24 hour security in Angeles, about 3 minutes trike away from Nepo Mall and not far from the Holy Angel University.  I know her landlady (how do you say cougar player with a great sense of fun in tagalog?) always has one or two vacant properties.  Arlyn and Heath pay about 12k PHP a month for a 2 bedroom furnished townhouse exactly the same design as the video Papa Carl posted last year - if you remember that at all.  I know that said landlady owns a couple of these in the same area.  Papa Carl could probably point you in the right direction too, I believe he lives at Clarke.  

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Tensan+Steet,+Angeles,+Philippines/@15.1318357,120.588907,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x3396f2546ec4ad67:0xf69fe1dfee475b83

Thanks Brett! I'm still not sure where I am going to end up but if it's even close to Angeles, I'll be calling! Those townhouses are nice and furnished is great if I'm heading back to Cebu after a year.

• Like 1