Camiguin

RBM
Posted
Posted

Mods please move this to correct place if wrong....

Just back from a week here so thought jot down our experiences.

Cebu Pacific have cheap fares if your flexible on dates, we paid around P3500 return for two. Just be careful to delete all the add on extras. Further flight leaves Cebu at 6am Och...

After arriving we strolled into Mambajao, about 15 minutes, had breakfast at rooftop. After negotiated with some guys we rented an xrm costing P1500 for 6 days.

Spent first day and night at D@A sea side cottages in Catarman, following morning moved into Marianita cottage in Yumbing. Lovely large room, cable tv air con hot shower for p1100, included a nice breakfast.

Lots to do and see here, around 4 nice big water falls, hot pools close by (Ardent) Never bog to the Eco zoo here, sad experience. Camiguin is wonderful, so green and lush, really a paradise for hikers. We were busy every day, next to no traffic makes cruising around very relaxed. Understand a large number of Germans living here, found one German Deli selling real coffee and German beer.

On the down side, prices on par with Cebu which surprised me. Disappointed that we experienced so much cheating, restaurants over charging, even our charming land lady tried to pad our bill. Most pools and water falls also tried to charge us twice so be sure to hang on to your tickets.

Fantastic restaurant was Casa Roca in Yumbing, reasonable prices, great wines and wonderful foods. We went back again and again.

In short, great Island, wonderful stay and a joy for hikers. Just watch the charges and remember bring a rain coat.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Cebu Pacific have cheap fares if your flexible on dates, we paid around P3500 return for two. Just be careful to delete all the add on extras. Further flight leaves Cebu at 6am Och...

After arriving we strolled into Mambajao, about 15 minutes, had breakfast at rooftop. After negotiated with some guys we rented an xrm costing P1500 for 6 days.

Spent first day and night at D@A sea side cottages in Catarman, following morning moved into Marianita cottage in Yumbing. Lovely large room, cable tv air con hot shower for p1100, included a nice breakfast.

Lots to do and see here, around 4 nice big water falls, hot pools close by (Ardent) Never bog to the Eco zoo here, sad experience. Camiguin is wonderful, so green and lush, really a paradise for hikers. We were busy every day, next to no traffic makes cruising around very relaxed. Understand a large number of Germans living here, found one German Deli selling real coffee and German beer.

On the down side, prices on par with Cebu which surprised me. Disappointed that we experienced so much cheating, restaurants over charging, even our charming land lady tried to pad our bill. Most pools and water falls also tried to charge us twice so be sure to hang on to your tickets.

Fantastic restaurant was Casa Roca in Yumbing, reasonable prices, great wines and wonderful foods. We went back again and again.

In short, great Island, wonderful stay and a joy for hikers. Just watch the charges and remember bring a rain coat.

Thank you LBM for another fine boots on the ground report about that island paradise.  I believe we have-had

a member name Patsada, who was the owner of one of the finer beach resorts there.  

I can easily imagine myself sipping mango daiquiris at 6AM while waiting for a magnificent sunrise, that will cast

a beautiful orange glow onto your private white sanded beach cove.  You're the man LBM!

Respectfully -- Jake 

Edited by Jake

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Cebu Pacific and Tiger Airlines love to nickel and dime you.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Mods please move this to correct place if wrong....Just back from a week here so thought jot down our experiences.Cebu Pacific have cheap fares if your flexible on dates, we paid around P3500 return for two. Just be careful to delete all the add on extras. Further flight leaves Cebu at 6am Och...After arriving we strolled into Mambajao, about 15 minutes, had breakfast at rooftop. After negotiated with some guys we rented an xrm costing P1500 for 6 days.Spent first day and night at D@A sea side cottages in Catarman, following morning moved into Marianita cottage in Yumbing. Lovely large room, cable tv air con hot shower for p1100, included a nice breakfast.Lots to do and see here, around 4 nice big water falls, hot pools close by (Ardent) Never bog to the Eco zoo here, sad experience. Camiguin is wonderful, so green and lush, really a paradise for hikers. We were busy every day, next to no traffic makes cruising around very relaxed. Understand a large number of Germans living here, found one German Deli selling real coffee and German beer.On the down side, prices on par with Cebu which surprised me. Disappointed that we experienced so much cheating, restaurants over charging, even our charming land lady tried to pad our bill. Most pools and water falls also tried to charge us twice so be sure to hang on to your tickets.Fantastic restaurant was Casa Roca in Yumbing, reasonable prices, great wines and wonderful foods. We went back again and again.In short, great Island, wonderful stay and a joy for hikers. Just watch the charges and remember bring a rain coat.

Cebu Pacific and Tiger Airlines love to nickel and dime you.

One has to go real slowly booking on line. Personally I have the GF do it as she has more patience than me. Remember to remove the seats already booked, the insurance and the luggage.

Last time I was in Camiguin around 5 years ago experienced no problems, WOW has this changed, seems almost every place we visited was trying cheat us. Blatantly, even the person whom sold us the entrance ticket would come again as we exited and accuse us of not paying......

But if aware no problem,, we plan to visit frequently in future.

• Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
On the down side, prices on par with Cebu which surprised me. Disappointed that we experienced so much cheating, restaurants over charging,

even our charming land lady tried to pad our bill. Most pools and water falls also tried to charge us twice so be sure to hang on to your tickets.

could you be more in depth or specific so we can learn what happen to you

so we can know these "tricks/scams" ,

in case we go to some resort we are "AWARE" of how to protect ourselves.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

On the down side, prices on par with Cebu which surprised me. Disappointed that we experienced so much cheating, restaurants over charging,

even our charming land lady tried to pad our bill. Most pools and water falls also tried to charge us twice so be sure to hang on to your tickets.

Sure but i would like to emphasis this in no way detracts from our nice time on this beautiful island, just bit disappointing.

When we moved into our new lovely clean room in Yumbing I spoke at length with the manager. She was fluent in English as had worked abroad as a nurse. No misunderstanding here. We reached agreement on P1100 a night including breakfast. I instantly paid her p5K as down payment and was given a receipt,. Unfortunately I did not ask our agreement in writing....A day before departure she informed my GF the room was separate from breakfast and we must pay additional. I immediately spoke to her, told her strongly what our agreement was and she knew this very well. With guilt all over her face she did not argue. She again attempted extra as we departed, to no avail.

My GF bought our tickets for the station of he cross walk. Nice walk, wonderful views, how ever ruined as when we went back to our bike the self same woman came to us accusing my GF of not paying....Fortunately she had our tickets so no problem. We were the only tourists there....

Eating at a restaurant had a first time experience.....lovely young waiter whom spoke excellent English.  My GF ordered and requested 2 glasses service water. The water came first with ice, nice....Suddenly said waiter arrived grabbed our glasses in haste, I had drunk half mine, left two bottles of mineral water and run away.....When he bought the food I asked him...hey whats going on.....he flatly refused to acknowledge my questions.....So we left the bottles unopened and were not charged.

CF wanted to buy T shirts at Ardent, looked and looked and looked.....finally decided, thank god, price agreed, we know how they love to bicker. After our soak we go to pick up shirts......my goodness price has suddenly shot up about 20%.....So end result no sale.

Guess I have rambled on enough, but many cases of bill padding......its all small change but disappointing.

On a side note found a very nice little semi resort, not on beach, self contained and extremely reasonable and kareoke free which is hard to find there. I am unsure of forum rules as do not wish to appear as an advert, perhaps can share in via PM if anybody interested. It is not on the beach though.

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
On a side note found a very nice little semi resort, not on beach, self contained and extremely reasonable and kareoke free which is hard to find there. I am unsure of forum rules as do not wish to appear as an advert

No problem putting the link, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

RBM
Posted
Posted

On a side note found a very nice little semi resort, not on beach, self contained and extremely reasonable and kareoke free which is hard to find there. I am unsure of forum rules as do not wish to appear as an advert

No problem putting the link, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

http://www.camiguinmountainviewcottages.com/

Of course rates can be negotiable...........

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Sure but i would like to emphasis this in no way detracts from our nice time on this beautiful island, just bit disappointing.

Guess I have rambled on enough, but many cases of bill padding......its all small change but disappointing.

On a side note found a very nice little semi resort, not on beach, self contained and extremely reasonable and kareoke free which is hard to find there.

G'Day RBM, 

I hope you don't mind......I kind of dissected your post to bring out the highlights.  You gave some excellent

advice about being a safe and happy tourist.  I must commend you for taking the time so that others can

enjoy their vacation with minimum hassle.  Even the local Filipinos should follow your advice.

I believe your overall theme of your post........you don't sweat the small chit and having a good time with

friends and family is much more important.  You're on vacation, why get all pissed off.  

I use to be like that -- the family kill joy.

On behave of my fellow members, we thank you sir! 

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

When we moved into our new lovely clean room in Yumbing I spoke at length with the manager. She was fluent in English as had worked abroad as a nurse. No misunderstanding here. We reached agreement on P1100 a night including breakfast. I instantly paid her p5K as down payment and was given a receipt,. Unfortunately I did not ask our agreement in writing....A day before departure she informed my GF the room was separate from breakfast and we must pay additional. I immediately spoke to her, told her strongly what our agreement was and she knew this very well. With guilt all over her face she did not argue. She again attempted extra as we departed, to no avail.

My GF bought our tickets for the station of he cross walk. Nice walk, wonderful views, how ever ruined as when we went back to our bike the self same woman came to us accusing my GF of not paying....Fortunately she had our tickets so no problem. We were the only tourists there....

Eating at a restaurant had a first time experience.....lovely young waiter whom spoke excellent English.  My GF ordered and requested 2 glasses service water. The water came first with ice, nice....Suddenly said waiter arrived grabbed our glasses in haste, I had drunk half mine, left two bottles of mineral water and run away.....When he bought the food I asked him...hey whats going on.....he flatly refused to acknowledge my questions.....So we left the bottles unopened and were not charged.

CF wanted to buy T shirts at Ardent, looked and looked and looked.....finally decided, thank god, price agreed, we know how they love to bicker. After our soak we go to pick up shirts......my goodness price has suddenly shot up about 20%.....So end result no sale.

On a side note found a very nice little semi resort, not on beach, self contained and extremely reasonable and kareoke free which is hard to find there. I am unsure of forum rules as do not wish to appear as an advert, perhaps can share in via PM if anybody interested. It is not on the beach though.

:AddEmoticons04230:    I  & others fully appreciate your response,     :AddEmoticons04230:

of how you dealt w/the situation,& how you was "scammed" or was tried to be.

as we know sometimes the little things can piss,,opps  give a bitter experience

could give an example of "bill padding". again so that others can be aware.

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn