Camiguin

RBM
Posted
Posted

On the down side, prices on par with Cebu which surprised me. Disappointed that we experienced so much cheating, restaurants over charging,

even our charming land lady tried to pad our bill. Most pools and water falls also tried to charge us twice so be sure to hang on to your tickets.

could you be more in depth or specific so we can learn what happen to you

so we can know these "tricks/scams" ,

in case we go to some resort we are "AWARE" of how to protect ourselves.

Sure but i would like to emphasis this in no way detracts from our nice time on this beautiful island, just bit disappointing.

When we moved into our new lovely clean room in Yumbing I spoke at length with the manager. She was fluent in English as had worked abroad as a nurse. No misunderstanding here. We reached agreement on P1100 a night including breakfast. I instantly paid her p5K as down payment and was given a receipt,. Unfortunately I did not ask our agreement in writing....A day before departure she informed my GF the room was separate from breakfast and we must pay additional. I immediately spoke to her, told her strongly what our agreement was and she knew this very well. With guilt all over her face she did not argue. She again attempted extra as we departed, to no avail.

My GF bought our tickets for the station of he cross walk. Nice walk, wonderful views, how ever ruined as when we went back to our bike the self same woman came to us accusing my GF of not paying....Fortunately she had our tickets so no problem. We were the only tourists there....

Eating at a restaurant had a first time experience.....lovely young waiter whom spoke excellent English.  My GF ordered and requested 2 glasses service water. The water came first with ice, nice....Suddenly said waiter arrived grabbed our glasses in haste, I had drunk half mine, left two bottles of mineral water and run away.....When he bought the food I asked him...hey whats going on.....he flatly refused to acknowledge my questions.....So we left the bottles unopened and were not charged.

CF wanted to buy T shirts at Ardent, looked and looked and looked.....finally decided, thank god, price agreed, we know how they love to bicker. After our soak we go to pick up shirts......my goodness price has suddenly shot up about 20%.....So end result no sale.

Guess I have rambled on enough, but many cases of bill padding......its all small change but disappointing.

On a side note found a very nice little semi resort, not on beach, self contained and extremely reasonable and kareoke free which is hard to find there. I am unsure of forum rules as do not wish to appear as an advert, perhaps can share in via PM if anybody interested. It is not on the beach though.

:AddEmoticons04230:    I  & others fully appreciate your response,     :AddEmoticons04230:

of how you dealt w/the situation,& how you was "scammed" or was tried to be.

as we know sometimes the little things can piss,,opps  give a bitter experience

Guess I have rambled on enough, but many cases of bill padding......its all small change but disappointing.

could give an example of "bill padding". again so that others can be aware.

Yup sure, but like emphasize it's all small change, just maybe me, I kinda take it as an insult. Be it a couple peso or couple of hundred.

Few times in restos we as always, have a few drinks, followed by sharing a appetizer and if we enjoy we have the main course. Often was a few more drinks on the bill, or the price suddenly changed from the menu to the bill, unfortunately not on our side.

One occasion in a lovely resto, just up from the volcano monitoring station we choose a sandwich each, from memory was p130 each. Apart from requesting them to turn down the TV which suddenly appeared full volume as some drama was showing was excellent. Views you would die for. Totally ruined by the account having all these extra charges not shown on menu. Service, tax and what ever. As was second to last day I had experienced enough, told the manager firmly no way.....If it's not written on menu no pay! So they start on the GF, I firmly explained you talk to me. I am paying not her. After understanding no way was I going to pay the add ons she just stood beside until we left...Glaring the whole time....

Still it's a great Island and remember it's just water of the proverbial ducks back.....

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Coming from the original Canadian tourist town (Niagara Falls) along with having traveled the world over a few times in the Air Force, I can honestly say that not much will surprise me anymore when somebody talks about hidden charges, unusual taxes, changing prices and dishonest service...  And you covered a lot of what the unseasoned traveler should know before leaving home!  Thank you!!!

:tiphat:

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Great post! We were thinking of going to Camiguin before I got us side tracked to Dinagat. My wife's former boss in Hong Kong has a large house there. Very rarely goes to it anymore so the care takers are living a good life.

Wife says a lot of "Guilo's" (White People) are there. Many German as mentioned. Funny how she says many are always drunk and then ride around town on their motorbikes. So that tells me one should be extra cautious when out on the roads.

For the most part she says it is a nice place and recommends it for the adventurous types.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Great post! We were thinking of going to Camiguin before I got us side tracked to Dinagat. My wife's former boss in Hong Kong has a large house there. Very rarely goes to it anymore so the care takers are living a good life.

Wife says a lot of "Guilo's" (White People) are there. Many German as mentioned. Funny how she says many are always drunk and then ride around town on their motorbikes. So that tells me one should be extra cautious when out on the roads.

For the most part she says it is a nice place and recommends it for the adventurous types.

Your wife certainly hit the nail on the head. Many Germans, often seen drinking early pm, also a nice little German delicatessen close to Ardent. Many German beers and foods available.

We found the traffic very light and easy to drive around, fortunately did not encounter and drunk drivers, although important to bring license as many checks and these military are with out any humor at all.

Don't forget the rain coats

• Like 1