Just Who Has The Cultural Gap?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was reading another post and saw this come up...  The poster was stating that there is a very large cultural gap between 'Kanos and Filipinas...  (or all Filipinos in general could be given).  But just who has that cultural gap?  Is it the Filipino trying to assimilate a Westerner into their way of life?  Or is it the Westerner trying to slip into a society foreign to his own?  I have my ideas which I will put down later but I am really interested in what others have to say about this...  So?

:unsure:  :no:  :rolleyes:  :mocking:

• Like 1

fred
Posted
Posted

Thats a tough one!!

In the UK I have known many Filipino`s either married to other Filipino`s or to a Brit and if we were ever invited to a Birthday party etc we were usually served the obligatory sweet spaghetti with a scoop of ice cream on top.  

I think it all depends on the individual..No matter if they are from a Western culture or an Asian one.

It is what it is!

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Bob, I have come to the conclusion that there is no cultural gap between me and any other region or nation.  If a person just listens to me and agrees with me, all is well.  If they don't they must be female. Now I am not a stubborn person, so if something can be shown to be correct I can change therefore no 'gap'.  As to the female.........what is it that she would like to hear. Gentlemen say anything....reduce the gap....come closer and embrace another culture.  Then say "See you in the morning" and run to the pub for stimulating discussion on the difference n culture with your multination buds. Have one on me.

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Just to add to the complexity...I have observed cultural gaps among Filipinos.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Just to add to the complexity...I have observed cultural gaps among Filipinos.

That's just crazy talk. :th_thbestpost:

• Like 1

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I was reading another post and saw this come up...  The poster was stating that there is a very large cultural gap between 'Kanos and Filipinas...  (or all Filipinos in general could be given).  But just who has that cultural gap?  Is it the Filipino trying to assimilate a Westerner into their way of life?  Or is it the Westerner trying to slip into a society foreign to his own?  I have my ideas which I will put down later but I am really interested in what others have to say about this...  So?

:unsure:  :no:  :rolleyes:  :mocking:

It is both.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree with Jack.

If I may add a thought, the Have Nots  assume that foreigners are like the Haves.

That explains the excessive deference with which we foreigners are treated and the real fear with which the Have Nots treat us

We must be like the Haves because the Haves have what we have and do what look from the outside like the same things.

From our point of view the Haves are vulgar and greedy and often cruel, treating their servants badly, running after money and status and with no taste. But from the point of view of the Have Nots we look like the Haves.

Until a Filipino or a Filipina has lived amongst foreigners outside the Philippines, he or she cannot understand the difference.

There is a reason why one of the greatest Filipino novels is called "The Pretenders" 

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

There is a reason why one of the greatest Filipino novels is called "The Pretenders" 

Many, Filipinos call other Filipinos,  the Plastics. Now we have some answers for you Bob, new found money from wherever, can and is causing some problems. A bit like a Poor man winning the "Lottery' never coming to terms with it and not understanding it's Implications.  I don't believe it is all our (The Foreigners) fault. I will Admit, we do not help at times but that is what we are. we are just trying to Adapt our old lifestyle, into this emerging place. To me, it is the new money, that the OSW is bringing in that seems to bring the gap. Some rising too far above a station, they never knew existed before.

I have heard one Visiting OSW actually call her niece a Pleb, now where, in the Filipino language did that come from.

To answer one of your parts to the Question Bob, I firmly believe in most cases it is the many Filipinos that are trying to emulate us (The Foreigner) and making a bad job of it. All i can say now, on the Subject, is what My, niece told my Daughter, "Be careful what you ask for" and please Remember, One day you will, need us. I do hope that many will learn lessons, that we have all learned before ourselves, "You Never need to look up to anyone but never look down on anyone also"

A wonderful Race of people, that could be ruined by money! We know, do we not, "Money is the Root of all evil"

JP :tiphat:

• Like 5