Where To Live In Cebu City On A Budget

russellmania
Posted
Posted

I understand the area is crowded, I hope the pollution is less than Manila, the resort fees for beaches on a weekend small getaway is ok to me usually when I have seen these in Subic they were around 400 peso for a day pass I have no idea what they are in Cebu.  Traffic is a problem everywhere I think and I am not in a hurry, I go to school and live life, I left my rush in America where it belongs it took me several months to get rid of the attitude here in manila for that but it works for me.  I really just want an area that is not polluted ocean everywhere you look I hope Cebu is not that.  When you walk next to the ocean and go to the resturants in manila all you sea is polluted water here.  I like Manila and the traffic sucks but its manageable but if I could hang out at a beach once or twice a week I would be extremely happy. so from what you guys say it I manila only a little cleaner a little cheaper, and same traffic with a few private beaches that are crowded but crowds are everywhere and I have grown used to that.

To find exactly what you are seeking its sounds like Thailand to me. Philippines is a 3rd world country and that is over crowded, traffic jams, beggars. pollution, bad roads and sidewalks, high rents in the cities, typhoons monthly, corruption, violence against westerners. Other then that, its great here!!

So many people moving from Thailand to the Philippines lately...  I wonder why?

:mocking:

A very large percentage of guys moving here, I can describe in one word...Women! Thats the top reason for most single guys moving here to this sh&thole. I would be in Thailand in a heartbeat if it was english spoken there fluently.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I understand the area is crowded, I hope the pollution is less than Manila, the resort fees for beaches on a weekend small getaway is ok to me usually when I have seen these in Subic they were around 400 peso for a day pass I have no idea what they are in Cebu.  Traffic is a problem everywhere I think and I am not in a hurry, I go to school and live life, I left my rush in America where it belongs it took me several months to get rid of the attitude here in manila for that but it works for me.  I really just want an area that is not polluted ocean everywhere you look I hope Cebu is not that.  When you walk next to the ocean and go to the resturants in manila all you sea is polluted water here.  I like Manila and the traffic sucks but its manageable but if I could hang out at a beach once or twice a week I would be extremely happy. so from what you guys say it I manila only a little cleaner a little cheaper, and same traffic with a few private beaches that are crowded but crowds are everywhere and I have grown used to that.

To find exactly what you are seeking its sounds like Thailand to me. Philippines is a 3rd world country and that is over crowded, traffic jams, beggars. pollution, bad roads and sidewalks, high rents in the cities, typhoons monthly, corruption, violence against westerners. Other then that, its great here!!

A very large percentage of guys moving here, I can describe in one word...Women! Thats the top reason for most single guys moving here to this sh&thole. I would be in Thailand in a heartbeat if it was english spoken there fluently.

I still don't understand...  If you think it's so bad here, why are  you in the Philippines?  You can't learn the language so you won't move to Thailand?  You can move to Thailand and speak English if you want - you just have to stick to the main cities.  Usually the tourist areas.  That's going to be expensive, isn't it?  Isn't that the real problem with your living in Thailand?  So why do you come to a forum favoring the Philippines and call it a s@@thole?   Manila is not a 3rd world city...  Nor Cebu...  And many of other towns and cities aren't too bad either.  Sure, if you get out in the country / province, it may not be so modern but no worse than it is in a similar situation in Thailand.  Personally, I have spent quite a bit of time in Thailand and I really could say some bad things about it.  But I figure - why insult the people who like it there?  Sound familiar?  Oh, just a little bit to add...  Many people are leaving Thailand and moving to the Philippines because Thailand isn't the same Thailand it was a few years ago.  For example, just love their newly proposed semi-permanent Tourist Bracelets you aren't allowed to take off until after you leave the country...  

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
So why do you come to a forum favoring the Philippines and call it a s@@thole?   Manila is not a 3rd world city...  Nor Cebu...  And many of other towns and cities aren't too bad either.

I have 2 comments. This is not a forum "favoring" the Philippines it is a forum "about" the Philippines - good and bad. We welcome all comments within the rules of the forum.

Secondly, Manila and Cebu certainly ARE 3rd world cities - in every sense of the word. 

• Like 2

russellmania
Posted
Posted

I still don't understand...  If you think it's so bad here, why are  you in the Philippines?  You can't learn the language so you won't move to Thailand?  You can move to Thailand and speak English if you want - you just have to stick to the main cities.  Usually the tourist areas.  That's going to be expensive, isn't it?  Isn't that the real problem with your living in Thailand?  So why do you come to a forum favoring the Philippines and call it a s@@thole?   Manila is not a 3rd world city...  Nor Cebu...  And many of other towns and cities aren't too bad either.  Sure, if you get out in the country / province, it may not be so modern but no worse than it is in a similar situation in Thailand.  Personally, I have spent quite a bit of time in Thailand and I really could say some bad things about it.  But I figure - why insult the people who like it there?  Sound familiar?  Oh, just a little bit to add...  Many people are leaving Thailand and moving to the Philippines because Thailand isn't the same Thailand it was a few years ago.  For example, just love their newly proposed semi-permanent Tourist Bracelets you aren't allowed to take off until after you leave the country...  

Most countries that are considered 3rd world are just crappy, it is what it is. Since you didn get my meaning then I will repeat it for you. I come here for the ladies that are willing and able to have good times with me. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings by calling the Philippines a sh&thole, then I take it back ok? Most filipinas I know that are married and moved abroad dont want to set foot back in the Philippines if not for family here. I wonder why?

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

So why do you come to a forum favoring the Philippines and call it a s@@thole? Manila is not a 3rd world city... Nor Cebu... And many of other towns and cities aren't too bad either.

I have 2 comments. This is not a forum "favoring" the Philippines it is a forum "about" the Philippines - good and bad. We welcome all comments within the rules of the forum.

Secondly, Manila and Cebu certainly ARE 3rd world cities - in every sense of the word.

First, I did not say he could not post here, I asked why he did if he thought the Philippines was so bad. To say this forum "favors" the Philippines means this is a forum about the Philippines. As to whether Manila is 3rd world or not? I have only heard people say that it is 3rd world... Any government organization, economic agency, developemental group I have seen all list Manila as, to borrow the common catch phrase, a first class city in a developing country.

So, back to my question. Why would somebody refuse to move to a place they think is superior while telling everyone else that they live in a s@@thole?

• Like 2

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

lol Manila is the epitome of a sh&thole  and the whole country is 3rd world make no mistake about that .And nobody really says Manila is a first class city that has every visited it  . well maybe a small part of Makati could be considered kinda first class but boots on the ground will change your perspective . 

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am always fascinated by the expats that move to the Philippines and hate it but stay. I have met more than several and the conversations are invariably the same. I think it would make an interesting topic, but not the topic the OP asked about.

For me the obvious answer is that since the OP lives in Manila, he hop on a dirt cheap Cebu Pacific flight and check out Cebu for a few days and see where he likes and what the rents are. While it is true that the congestion and air quality is better than Manila's, that's not saying too much.

I like Cebu better than Manila but would never live there. I know myself well enough to know that both are too large for my tastes. That's not just about being 3rd world, that's just about large metro areas period. Not my style. But I intend to live in a place convenient enough to get to Cebu when we want to for shopping/restaurants, etc.

I would consider Mactan, where I have friends with modest-priced apartments. Granted it's maybe 30 minutes to Ayala Mall, but that's not too terrible. As to beaches, metro Cebu is not the best place for great beaches, but Mactan has a few. If you're really a beach guy, traveling south out of the city is a better bet. Again, Cebu City's not for me but I can see why some like it.

BTW, fast ferry from Cebu to Bohol is about 90 minutes and that's something I would do occasionally if I lived in Cebu City.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I am always fascinated by the expats that move to the Philippines and hate it but stay.

No one in this thread has said they hate the Philippines. Back to the topic of Cebu City - you would have to pay me to live there, it's the most unlivable place I've ever been - and I did live there for almost a year. That includes south from Minglanilla to Mandaue and east through the fab beaches of Mactan.  

davewe
Posted
Posted

I am always fascinated by the expats that move to the Philippines and hate it but stay.

No one in this thread has said they hate the Philippines. Back to the topic of Cebu City - you would have to pay me to live there, it's the most unlivable place I've ever been - and I did live there for almost a year. That includes south from Minglanilla to Mandaue and east through the fab beaches of Mactan.  

Usually when the words third world & sh&thole are thrown around in a sentence - well I assume that's a negative. Good to know it's not :)

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Usually when the words third world & sh&thole are thrown around in a sentence - well I assume that's a negative. Good to know it's not

It usually is but you were the only one who used the word "hate". I've noticed that the people who get most offended by negative opinions don't live here. Wonder why that is?

• Like 1