Puerto Galera With Wife And 7 Year Old.

vambeechi
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone, first post so here goes...

I / we have been looking at a move overseas for as long as I can remember, but never had the nerve or cash to go ahead, now we have and are seriously looking at puerto galera, why? Because I have a cousin there for last 10 years and it's a start.

My question is, will we be welcome as an all white family from the sunny island of the uk, will my wife be welcomed and will my child be able to attend school there, he's 7 and male?

I will be working as a scuba instructor, we will have an income from the uk of £1500 per month on top of my earnings as an instructor, plus the rental of our house in the uk which will generate an extra £250 per month, will we have a nice life?

All comments and thoughts will be read and appreciated.

Best

Vambeechi

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Hi there , so much cash per month,

I have no ideas about what you are asking about schooling and being accepted others will give you a better idea, but surely you have asked your cousin all that is worrying you

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

You should do fine in Puerta Galera based on your budget. Consider home schooling for your 7 years old using the services of a school teacher. Ship with your household items two years of age appropriate school books. For socials, have him join a sports group like a soccer team or a local Boy Scout troop. Other activities include judo or karate.

• Like 5

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Your wife and little boy will be a huge novelty and will be welcome I am sure.

Beyond the home schooling point there are the Brent schools and various other international schools in the Philippines but if he is boarding in Philippines to attend them you may as well look at the Asian branches of the British public schools. At that point your budget goes pear shaped, of course. Still, that is a while away.

Taking up JJ Reyes' point the Internet makes home schooling much easier than it was - look into that before leaving Britain.

Budget - lean for an all British family because you wife wont be able to shop like a local, so spend some of that budget on a good maid and trust your wife to make friends. Don't let your wife be silly about not having a maid - 

"It is the business of the wealthy man*
To give employment to the artisan!"

* this means you,Mr Foreigner

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Have you ever visited Philippines?

• Like 2

vambeechi
Posted
Posted

Hi, thank you all for replying, we was looking into hiring a maid, we have not been to the Philippines but are going for three weeks this christmas and if all goes well and we think we can make a life there then the wife and child will be returning home for 1 month to pack up the house etc before rejoining me.

Realistically we want our son to be in a school environment for his social skills and well being, we have talked to him in depth about what we might be doing and he is not happy about the move but we feel it's for the best, the uk is not a good place for a child any longer, we don't want him to become a teenager here in the uk, too much alcohol and drugs, gangs of teenagers walking the streets at night getting into trouble etc...

We want a simple life where life is good but can we make it????? It's a world a way from what we are used to!

• Like 1

vambeechi
Posted
Posted

Also we have a pet dog and will be looking into bringing him too, we have just arrived back from a 2 week holiday to turkey and our son missed him so much, it will make the move a lot easier for him if his dog comes along with us, does anyone on here know how we can go about this and what is involved?

vambeechi
Posted
Posted

Hi there , so much cash per month,

I have no ideas about what you are asking about schooling and being accepted others will give you a better idea, but surely you have asked your cousin all that is worrying you

Hi, we have not mentioned to my cousin about our plans yet, we are going for 3 weeks at Xmas and will take it from there, (he might not even want us there intruding on his life long term) lol

stevewool
Posted
Posted

WOW so your cousin dont know yet then,

I would seriously look into this further if only for your young son and wife, my dream is to move over to the phils, Bohol is where i want to be i think, but we have been planning for a few years now,

The cash you have per month is a very good amount to have , is that guaranteed and if it goes wrong have to a plan to escape,

Remember going for 3 weeks is a holiday, ypu are looking at going there for a longer time, can you go alone to see the lie of the land and if its what you and your family wants then you will have more of a clue before you move lock stock and barrel, just a thought,

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You really need to visit.  It has been several years since I visited Puerta Galera but back then there did not seem to be much to do if you were not a diver, and it is a small place too.  You wife and child might be really bored.

• Like 3