Puerto Galera With Wife And 7 Year Old.

vambeechi
Posted
Posted

WOW so your cousin dont know yet then,

I would seriously look into this further if only for your young son and wife, my dream is to move over to the phils, Bohol is where i want to be i think, but we have been planning for a few years now,

The cash you have per month is a very good amount to have , is that guaranteed and if it goes wrong have to a plan to escape,

Remember going for 3 weeks is a holiday, ypu are looking at going there for a longer time, can you go alone to see the lie of the land and if its what you and your family wants then you will have more of a clue before you move lock stock and barrel, just a thought,

Hi, my cousin knows we are going to visit for 3 weeks and I will be busy with the dive centre completing a course so it will be a working holiday for us, my wife is looking at groups and activities she and our son can get involved in and possibly a part time job somewhere too, I will be talking in depth to my cousin whilst we are there and we will weigh up our options towards the end of the 3 weeks, he is a course director now and is well established so hopefully he will be able to point us in the right direction, we won't be relying on him too much but it obviously helps to have a relative there to kick start us off to a new chapter of our life.....

• Like 1

vambeechi
Posted
Posted

WOW so your cousin dont know yet then,

I would seriously look into this further if only for your young son and wife, my dream is to move over to the phils, Bohol is where i want to be i think, but we have been planning for a few years now,

The cash you have per month is a very good amount to have , is that guaranteed and if it goes wrong have to a plan to escape,

Remember going for 3 weeks is a holiday, ypu are looking at going there for a longer time, can you go alone to see the lie of the land and if its what you and your family wants then you will have more of a clue before you move lock stock and barrel, just a thought,

We will probably get our feet under the table for a year in P.G then move onto somewhere with a mall etc...

• Like 2

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, there is quite a lot here to discuss.

First, Jake is right PG is a very small place, mostly tourists for diving, and subsequently, the club scene is busy. Mostly owned by Koreans now, which is why you will find quite a few Korean tourists now compared to a few years ago.

There are a number of Ex-Pats there from the UK, Australia, Austria, The Netherlands etc. but not many that have families with small children.

Not far is White Beach, which at least has a beach, which PG does not.

But better still is Tamaraw Beach, which is within walking distance of White Beach, and only has two resorts on it, which are both very well presented, and not expensive. Tamaraw Beach Resort, and Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort. These are much quieter, and more pleasant than anything in White Beach which as I remember Nikko's bar goes all night sometimes and can be quite noisy and loud, but great fun! (Owned by a well known Lady Boy, and most of the staff are also Lady Boys, with fire dances at night on the beach etc.)

Tamaraw Falls is a great day out, but no one there to watch your son, so you will need to keep your eyes on him, as the water flow is quite fast in places, however if you take your drinks and food, you can cook there and have a great day.

English Language schools around PG are non existent to my knowledge, however I am sure it will be easy to find out once you are there. Calapan City has English Language schools for younger students, but that is way too far from PG. Even the High Schools and Universities are not well rated when it comes to English Language abilities in the students.

Wish I had more to offer, but it has been a few years since we were there. Having said that Ellie and I spent almost 3 months there (White Beach, Lenleys Cottages) the last time we were there, and I we always enjoyed our time there, but then we did not have Chiya our daughter then, so it would be considerably different.

Papa Carl

• Like 1

vambeechi
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum.

Wow, there is quite a lot here to discuss.

First, Jake is right PG is a very small place, mostly tourists for diving, and subsequently, the club scene is busy. Mostly owned by Koreans now, which is why you will find quite a few Korean tourists now compared to a few years ago.

There are a number of Ex-Pats there from the UK, Australia, Austria, The Netherlands etc. but not many that have families with small children.

Not far is White Beach, which at least has a beach, which PG does not.

But better still is Tamaraw Beach, which is within walking distance of White Beach, and only has two resorts on it, which are both very well presented, and not expensive. Tamaraw Beach Resort, and Sunset at Aninuan Beach Resort. These are much quieter, and more pleasant than anything in White Beach which as I remember Nikko's bar goes all night sometimes and can be quite noisy and loud, but great fun! (Owned by a well known Lady Boy, and most of the staff are also Lady Boys, with fire dances at night on the beach etc.)

Tamaraw Falls is a great day out, but no one there to watch your son, so you will need to keep your eyes on him, as the water flow is quite fast in places, however if you take your drinks and food, you can cook there and have a great day.

English Language schools around PG are non existent to my knowledge, however I am sure it will be easy to find out once you are there. Calapan City has English Language schools for younger students, but that is way too far from PG. Even the High Schools and Universities are not well rated when it comes to English Language abilities in the students.

Wish I had more to offer, but it has been a few years since we were there. Having said that Ellie and I spent almost 3 months there (White Beach, Lenleys Cottages) the last time we were there, and I we always enjoyed our time there, but then we did not have Chiya our daughter then, so it would be considerably different.

Papa Carl

Thank you papa Carl, this is all useful information, ye I know it's a small place, my cousin does have a daughter in PG who we have met 3 times on there visits to the uk so we should be able to mix straight away with there friends etc, he actually lives in Sabang which I believe is where white beach is?? We could go off once a month somewhere different to the shops / malls etc to keep the OH happy lol...

Anyway thanks for your input.

Best

Vambeechi

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Children are quick to adapt to a new environment -- probably much faster than their parents. The secret is for him to make one or two friends quickly. This is easily accomplished because he would have ten times more toys than the local kids. When we traveled with our then two young sons, we had purchased the latest electronic gadget called, "Speak & Spell." Every kid (and adults) within 100 feet wanted a chance to play. Friendships were almost instantaneous. I am sure you son already has something similar.

• Like 3

vambeechi
Posted
Posted

Children are quick to adapt to a new environment -- probably much faster than their parents. The secret is for him to make one or two friends quickly. This is easily accomplished because he would have ten times more toys than the local kids. When we traveled with our then two young sons, we had purchased the latest electronic gadget called, "Speak & Spell." Every kid (and adults) within 100 feet wanted a chance to play. Friendships were almost instantaneous. I am sure you son already has something similar.

Hi thanks for your reply.... Well where to start, he has an iPad, kindle, Nintendo ds, playstation, ifone......... Spoilt isn't the word.... But we want to stop all that, we want an easy life, to be honest if we do make the move then I will probably be deleting my face book account too :-)

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
i thanks for your reply.... Well where to start, he has an iPad, kindle, Nintendo ds, playstation, ifone......... Spoilt isn't the word.... But we want to stop all that, we want an easy life, to be honest if we do make the move then I will probably be deleting my face book account too :-)

That would be madness!

You will very soon find two things; first most Filipinos are very heavy users of social media; second that you will be needing a means of communicating easily with the outside world. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
Hi thanks for your reply.... Well where to start, he has an iPad, kindle, Nintendo ds, playstation, ifone......... Spoilt isn't the word.... But we want to stop all that, we want an easy life, to be honest if we do make the move then I will probably be deleting my face book account too :-)

Despite being a self-confessed nerd, I'm pretty happy my now grown-up kids didn't grow up with the social media madness:

phones_zpsdd1a6bff.jpg

And as a result, my youngest daughter now has a scholarship with the Australian Ballet in Melbourne:

404295_479721348717729_1601843137_n_zps4

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Perfect. In exchange, the kids he will meet will teach your son how to text message with one hand and phone under the table and at the same time eating with a spoon. Yes. The preferred utensil is a spoon rather than a fork.

• Like 2

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

I can't wait for the stories. Can you post back again after you've been there a while?

By the way, sabang is where the nightlife and girly bars are. It's 20 minutes by road or sea to white beach, which is where I have been. Boats from mainland Luzon go to sabang first, and provide a transfer (road or boat) to white beach. You will be fine with your money, even if you had to stop working for some reason. Just don't expect things to always work, budget for failures along the way... And if you live low cost, you might find the contingencies are also lower in cost. The beach is great. Bit boring for weeks and constant influx of touists, especially on weekends.

British summer is typhoon season. In fact, northern Philippines has pretty high levels of rain and cloud. Sea air will help life though. Local filipinos will see you as a money sign perhaps. Get to know locals and remember being nice is more important than tipping. Complaining in a serious way is often a bad idea. You can complain, just always do it with a smile, and make sure the staff don't get their pride hurt, or they will seek revenge if possible.