Internet Speeds

robert k
Posted
Posted

Bob, I was just looking at a Nexus 5 vs OnePlus One reveiw this morning. The Nexus 5 is a great phone and while the reveiwer tried to be honest he could not hide the fact that he preferred the Nexus 5 because of it's size, even though it was supposed to be a hardware challenge. He even went so far as to omit that the 1+1 could film slow motion at 720P at 120 frames per second. On all the things that both phones cameras could do, I would call it a split decision, just like comparing two high quality cameras from different manufacturers, both are going to have their bias and both will usually be acceptable all rounders where they are not great. Both are a crapload of technology that one can hold with two fingers.

The Nexus 4 is a decent phone, fast enough if not blazing, 318 dpi screen resolution is better than I can appreciate. The 5 is faster, has slightly more screen real estate, resolution and the camera would be the greatest upgrade. If what I am reading is true, the North America version will work with Smart 2100 band only for LTE the international version will work with both Globe and Smart for LTE 1800/2100. I would get the international version. Of course quad band 2G and penta band 3G has you covered whichever provider.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Just as an aside; are LG still manufacturing the Nexus range?  I love Nexus and LG phones, their "Flagship" phones are nearly 50% cheaper than say, HTC, Samsung etc with better performance than the current crop at their time of release.  

Can any of you guys explain to me why I can only get receive data on HSDPA and not 3G on with my provider here in Aust?  They don't have 4G yet even though my last two phones have been capable of it.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

3673934855.png

robert k
Posted
Posted

Brett, I believe HSDPA is 3G, with a maximum of 14.4 Mbp/s download while HSPA+ maximum is 168 Mbp/s. This is of course when all the planets align. LTE is 326 Mbp/s [ Bands 1 and 3 for Smart and Globe ] and the usual wifi 802.11 is 600 Mbp/s. This from Wikipedia with a little bit of cross checking. In the real world, I would probably expect 1/10th of these maximums.

The quickest thing I can suggest you try is to reboot your phone as sometimes they lock on to a signal and then you move some distance and the phone ignores a stronger signal in favor of the one it has already locked on.

It could be your antenna, from what I have been reading the manufacturers pay more for advertising than they do to build the phones, supposedly that is why the Google nexus phones are so reasonably priced, when it comes to advertising, they own the store.

• Like 1