Face, What Is It?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

What it boils down to is they know their politicians are corrupt and not worth a pile of s**t. It's just they don't want to hear it from the mouth of a foreigner. Why? Filipino Pride! They will stand tall and say they are good while their boat has 3" holes and sinking from under them.

Quick Edit: Typo

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Why? Filipino Pride! They will stand tall and say they are good while their boat has 3" holes and sinking from under them.

That Steve, just about, sums it all up.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Filipino Pride!
means having a country run like hell by filipinos  . . .

“I prefer a government run like hell by Filipinos to a government run like heaven by Americans....Because, however bad a Filipino government might be, we can always change it.” [President Manuel Luis Quezon].

Mind you, changing it every 6 or 8 years always seems to give the same result.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

That's a very well known quote from Quezon; it is worth keeping in mind that in adapting the US Constitution to the Philippines in 1937 the powers of the Executive were (further) weakened because everyone was afraid that Quezon would become a dictator. Marcos declared martial law to overcome the restrictions on him, and the 87 Constitution weakens the Executive even further, to prevent another Marcos!   

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

A point to keep in mind; when you are poor, you have nothing but your self respect, so your self respect matters correspondingly more. This is even more true if you have had to compromise with your self respect.

Every Filipino and Filipina  knows that his or her country is a mess, and that nobody but the Filipinos are to blame for having gone from the second richest nation in Asia in 1947 to one of the poorest, but they do not want to be told this - its like looking at a beggar and saying, " Why don't you polish your shoes and iron your shirt better!"    

The other day, I found that my father in law had really gone out of his way to help me with something. I had no idea that he thought of me at all, other than as "another bloody foreigner wanting to screw one of his daughters" (K's eldest sister is married to a Brit).

I was wrong; he said nothing to me but he really went out of his way to help me. Because I "gave him face" when we first met.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Is it just me? If the country were run like heaven by Americans, or anyone else for that matter, why would you WANT to change it? Rhetorec is catchy, but does it stand up to logic? Not that I am in any way in favor of the Philippines becoming the 51st state. :tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I "gave him face" when we first met.

:omg:   Wonder what he meant by that 

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I "gave him face" when we first met.

:omg:   Wonder what he meant by that 

I showed him proper respect.  Sorry; I was using Chinglish. What he actually said was "Iyang gipakita kanako ang tukma nga pagtahod!"

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

What it boils down to is they know their politicians are corrupt and not worth a pile of s**t. It's just they don't want to hear it from the mouth of a foreigner. Why? Filipino Pride! They will stand tall and say they are good while their boat has 3" holes and sinking from under them.

Quick Edit: Typo

Many Filipinos agree when I say it through Internet, but they don't want me to say it so OTHERS hear it when I'm in Phils   - at least not when they are close to me     :)

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

My wife is always talking about how corrupt and f..ed up her country is.  Saving face means nothing to her.  Sounds like to me that Filipinos don't have a face to save.  Their country is screwed up beyond repair.

• Like 1