New Here With A Few Questions

Vanostran
Posted
Posted

Hello, new to the forum. I'm a younger guy thinking about making a trip to the Cebu City area. Anyone have any thoughts or comments on what to do and what to expect in terms of culture shock coming from Minnesota? I appreciate the help! Thanks!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hello, new to the forum. I'm a younger guy thinking about making a trip to the Cebu City area. Anyone have any thoughts or comments on what to do and what to expect in terms of culture shock coming from Minnesota? I appreciate the help! Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum

I moved your topic where you will get more replies as not many read the introductions.  :thumbsup:

Vanostran
Posted
Posted

Thanks for looking out jolly good fellow!

robert k
Posted
Posted

The search function is your friend. I don't know where to start to answer your question, it's like how long is a piece of string, but more subjective. Welcome.

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Vanostran. I stayed in Cebu City for a couple of days at the end of June on my way back to Manila, so I formed an initial impression of the City which I would be happy to share. There are other members here who can give a more in depth view of where to go and what to do.

A few questions that might help people focus more on the areas that you are interested in.

1) Is this your first visit to the Philippines, and if so why did you choose Cebu City?

2) Are you meeting someone you have been corresponding with? If so, this answers the second part of Q1.

3) If not 2 what are your reasons for visiting the Philippines? (Don't be shy).

4) If you haven't been to the Philippines before have you been anywhere else in Asia?

Sorry to reply to a question with questions but I hope this will help people to scope their answers.

Cheers Terry

PS as Robert K says there is a wealth of info on the site already.

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 1

Vanostran
Posted
Posted

Hi Vanostran. I stayed in Cebu City for a couple of days at the end of June on my way back to Manila, so I formed an initial impression of the City which I would be happy to share. There are other members here who can give a more in depth view of where to go and what to do.

A couple of questions that might help people focus more on the areas that you are asking.

1) Is this your first visit to the Philippines, and if so why did you choose Cebu City.

2) Are you meeting someone you have been corresponding with? If so, this answers the second part of Q1.

3) If not 2 what are your reasons for visiting the Philippines. (Don't be shy).

4) If you haven't been to the Philippines before have you been anywhere else in Asia?

Sorry to reply to a question with questins but I hope this will help people to scope their answers.

Cheers Terry

Thanks for the thought out repsonse. Yes, first visit. I have corresponded with some friends there. But I guess my initial post was a bit inaccurate. I am not really going for city life. I guess I would like to find smaller communities and natural beauty and spots to meet other expats for general good times. What am I looking for, you know? I have gone to Japan twice a decade ago, so I understand that culture shock is a factor. How can get the best tourist experience, while being exposed to a significant cultural experience, while also not being bombarded by culture shock?

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
. How can get the best tourist experience, while being exposed to a significant cultural experience, while also not being bombarded by culture shock?

The best tourist experience is different for everyone.  It sounds like you are asking people to tell you how to have fun.  Only you know that.  I would say you have two choices.  Either come here and see if you like it, or decide what you like and then look for a place to find that.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

How can get the best tourist experience, while being exposed to a significant cultural experience, while also not being bombarded by culture shock?

:)  if it is anything like my first visit all those years ago, when you first arrive, between, the Airport and the Hotel, keep your eyes closed and wear ear plugs. When you go out, in the morning, Open your eyes slowly and as the morning wears on, you will gradually get used, to the Culture Shock.  :hystery:  All joking aside though, be prepared. This place can be one big shock, to the feint hearted, First time around. Day 2 comes and you will be ready, for a few SMB's, Day 3 comes and you will Need those SMB's  :mocking:  day 4 arrives and the ATM don't Accept your card. A few more :dance: No a lot more post-2148-0-42449500-1407142401_thumb.jp  and there you go, you are now one of us!!

Enjoy!

:tiphat:

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

How can get the best tourist experience, while being exposed to a significant cultural experience, while also not being bombarded by culture shock?

:)  if it is anything like my first visit all those years ago, when you first arrive, between, the Airport and the Hotel, keep your eyes closed and wear ear plugs. When you go out, in the morning, Open your eyes slowly and as the morning wears on, you will gradually get used, to the Culture Shock.  :hystery:  All joking aside though, be prepared. This place can be one big shock, to the feint hearted, First time around. Day 2 comes and you will be ready, for a few SMB's, Day 3 comes and you will Need those SMB's  :mocking:  day 4 arrives and the ATM don't Accept your card. A few more :dance: No a lot more attachicon.gifSMB.jpg  and there you go, you are now one of us!!

Enjoy!

:tiphat:

Although I suspect first few sentences said in jest a lot of truth in them.

I lived over 3 years in Cebu and never been happier since I left. We are of course all different, how ever I feel so much offering in Philippines outside of Cebu.

My considered opinion and advice would be do not commit yourself to a long term rental until you spend a few weeks there. The pollution, traffic and squalor can sure wear one down.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

Plan ahead (obvious I know) and always have a plan B. The Internet is a great rsource but I think a good guide-book is essential. I like the "Rough Guide" series since they cater for most classes of traveller. A guide book still works when there is no internet connection and I carry mine with me everywhere.

If you are staying with friends no doubt they'll meet you at the airport. If not I would plan to stay for a few days in a good resort hotel that can arrange the transfer from the airport by hotel bus or by private car. This will give you a chance to get a feel for the country and help you get settled in for the more adventurous part of your programme.

Of course in the Philippines even the best laid plans can "gang aft agley" so if they fail to meet you switch to plan B. You have made sure that you have a roaming service on your mobile phone (one that is cmpatable with the Phils), you phone the Waterfront Airport Hotel and use your trusty credit card to make an instant booking. A two minute walk and you are in the hotel.

Your first impression of Cebu City wil undoubtedly be as an earlier poster said "The pollution, traffic and squalor....".

Foregive me if I am preaching to the converted but in the USA and Japan you have travelled in the first world. As Monty Python said "And now for something different". Once you have accepted the difference then you will start to appreciate what a lot the country has to offer.

BTW when are you planning to go? At the moment the Philippines are in the middle of the rainy season and can expect the odd typhoon.

Cheers Terry

Edited by not so old china hand