Living Costs For Young Guy In The Phils...

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

Hey,

I'm thinking of moving to the Phils (undecided where as of yet - never actually been to the country yet).

Was living in Bangkok for 1 year until recently and loved it. Came home to visit family and Thailand went crazy with their visa rules so looks like going back there could be a hassle.

I have funds from abroad around £1,300 / $2,190 USD / 95,700 PHP per month and will have around 4-6 months back up funds in the bank.

Looking for somewhere reasonably priced I can go for a long stay (let's say 6 months to a year for now) and need to know what sort of prices I'd be looking at.

For reference in Bangkok I spent around £600 / 32,000 THB / $1000 USD / 44,000 PHP on average a month and it wasn't a hardship - nothing fancy but not penny pinching either.

Had an OK apartment close to transport links in centre of town. Had free wifi and cable TV. Pool and gym on site + restaurants, laundry and grocery store. 

Ate out every night usually just cheap Thai local restaurant food. Sometime street food and sometimes Western / junk food. Happy to eat the local stuff 90% of the time.

Drink beer often. Like to go out and socialize, eat, drink and date. Maybe 2-4 times a week,

I don't spend money on p4p but I don't mind picking up the tab on a date if need be. 

Spend my days at coffee shops online.

To live a similar lifestyle how much would I be looking at per month?

I don't mind about not having a pool or gym as I rarely used them anyway.

Thanks

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I'd say it will be about the same but you will have to work to cut down the longnose tax.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'd say it will be about the same but you will have to work to cut down the longnose tax.

There's a reason SAO goes shopping at local markets without me....

Edit:  Many find this link very handy.  It is slightly skewed in some respects but is a great general guide: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

Edited by BrettGC

robert k
Posted
Posted

There must be some but I never found any coffee shops that had free wifi that was better than paying for my own internet. Exception was Why Not ? in Dumaguete where you get the use of an actual functioning computer for an hour with purchase of the grande expresso. :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

I will obviously need WiFi in my apartment but being stuck in an apartment all day isn't much fun. I like to head out to coffee shops for a few hours, 

Is the internet generally bad in the Phils? 

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

I will obviously need WiFi in my apartment but being stuck in an apartment all day isn't much fun. I like to head out to coffee shops for a few hours, 

Is the internet generally bad in the Phils?

It depends, I find the WIFI at the hotel I stay at is pretty good, also SM and Ayala is also pretty good, but roaming around Cebu I have found it pretty poor and slow.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey,

I'm thinking of moving to the Phils (undecided where as of yet - never actually been to the country yet).

Was living in Bangkok for 1 year until recently and loved it. Came home to visit family and Thailand went crazy with their visa rules so looks like going back there could be a hassle.

I have funds from abroad around £1,300 / $2,190 USD / 95,700 PHP per month and will have around 4-6 months back up funds in the bank.

Looking for somewhere reasonably priced I can go for a long stay (let's say 6 months to a year for now) and need to know what sort of prices I'd be looking at.

For reference in Bangkok I spent around £600 / 32,000 THB / $1000 USD / 44,000 PHP on average a month and it wasn't a hardship - nothing fancy but not penny pinching either.

Had an OK apartment close to transport links in centre of town. Had free wifi and cable TV. Pool and gym on site + restaurants, laundry and grocery store. 

Ate out every night usually just cheap Thai local restaurant food. Sometime street food and sometimes Western / junk food. Happy to eat the local stuff 90% of the time.

Drink beer often. Like to go out and socialize, eat, drink and date. Maybe 2-4 times a week,

I don't spend money on p4p but I don't mind picking up the tab on a date if need be. 

Spend my days at coffee shops online.

To live a similar lifestyle how much would I be looking at per month?

I don't mind about not having a pool or gym as I rarely used them anyway.

Thanks

This sounds like a pretty significant amount of cash for a single person in the Philippines. Of course there are caveats. Manila and even Cebu City are more expensive than smaller cities or towns. Everyone has different notion as to what are acceptable accommodations, but in general older guys like me want a more comfortable or safe environment. A younger guy can live in a decent apartment and doesn't require a gated fortress.

Your 2-4 times a week entertainment can go either way. San Miguel is cheap and decent beer. But if you require your Western liquor and food, you will pay for it. Of course, I am guessing the same can be said of Thailand where you successfully managed to spend less than your budget. 

Go for it and have fun. Let us know when the wedding is :) IOW, Filipinas are quite compelling.

Edited by davewe

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

Yeah I would have to live in a city for sure. I'm not a fan of island, beach or small town life and need the big city buzz. 

I wouldn't need a gated fortress but do apartments in Phils generally come with security / swipe card entry / CCTV cameras as is the norm in Bangkok for anywhere half decent?

You don't need to pay much in BKK for this to be standard. 

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah I would have to live in a city for sure. I'm not a fan of island, beach or small town life and need the big city buzz. 

I wouldn't need a gated fortress but do apartments in Phils generally come with security / swipe card entry / CCTV cameras as is the norm in Bangkok for anywhere half decent?

You don't need to pay much in BKK for this to be standard.

I can only speak for Cebu, but there are several gated communities that come with a guard, etc etc, also smaller apartment buildings which also come with the same, however...at night I often see them sleeping...lol

Edited by Medic Mike

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

The guards are only there because the property insurers require them; they get paid around 18000 a month, less stoppages. Guards are held in contempt by just about everyone. Don't expect them to actually stop a thief, let alone a killer.