Living Costs For Young Guy In The Phils...

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

What about apartment prices?

I don't need luxury but I don't want to slum it either.

If it fit the following criteria it'd be great....

• Clean
  • 40sqm minimum
  • aircon
  • kitchen not essential but would be a bonus
  • safe (security guards and keycard entry would be nice but don't need a gated community)
  • central and close to transport
  • walking distance to some restaurants, bars, shops and supermarkets etc (though wouldn't want to live in the hear of the night life district)
  • maid service and laundry available for a small fee would be good but not a deal breaker
  • Wifi a must

Are there any sites online worth checking prices on? The ones I've looked at so far seem a bit confusing and all over the place.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't rate Chiang Mai much. Find it quite boring.

I don't need an exact replica of Bangkok but I would like somewhere that is vibrant, busy, happening, good nightlife lots going on and plenty to do.

I of course will have to come check these places out before I make the move. Stupid not to.

Is Manila and Cebu the only real options then?

Scot, with those 2 cities (Cebu City & Manila), your only real option in my opinion are these that would fit your lifestyle. The rising cost of rentals in these areas being what they are, you may want to keep a close eye on your finances vs what you spend-even with what your fairly healthy monthly income shows.

I always follow the simple rule of economics 101-that being...""If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall""..but then again, I look at things in the most simplistic way possible.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 1

Scotsman
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...
russellmania
Posted
Posted

Scotsman if you have never been here, get ready for a shock Bro! Thailand and the Phils are like night and day as far as infrastructure. You must have infinite patience to live here full time. Blackouts are common,typhoons all most weekly, pollution, bad streets and sidewalks, traffic has gotten ridiculous, if you are into eating healthy its damn near non existent here. If you are they kind of happy go lucky type, then you probably can handle living here. If not lots have guys have gotten the hell out.

deevey
Posted
Posted (edited)

If it fit the following criteria it'd be great....

• Clean
  • 40sqm minimum
  • aircon
  • kitchen not essential but would be a bonus
  • safe (security guards and keycard entry would be nice but don't need a gated community)
  • central and close to transport
  • walking distance to some restaurants, bars, shops and supermarkets etc (though wouldn't want to live in the hear of the night life district)
  • maid service and laundry available for a small fee would be good but not a deal breaker
  • Wifi a must

Eastwood City in Quezon City should get you a pretty nice place in one of the older condos, Lafayette or Orchard for around $400-500 per month on 6 month contracts ($ up front), although short term fully furnished rentals you can expect that to double.

It'd definitely tick all boxes and will be cheaper than anything similar in Makati (although within a 15 min cab ride). Supermarkets / bars / malls / restaurants etc are all within the "mini city" and you can hitch a jeep to Cubao which will get you a train or bus pretty much anywhere in the country. 

Only had a real brownout once within the past 4 years with Typhoon Glenda, zero flooding and as its a call center hub the electric and internet is highly prioritized and most buildings have generators. All the major malls / nightlife areas are within a $4 taxi ride.

Laundry, water delivery, cleaners etc .. are all available. 

There are some "bargains" to be had around Ortigas and Makati for around $300 in older buildings but seriously an extra $100 on your budget is night and day with regards to comfort and safety and some will not include maintenance fees, so make sure any prices you get are all inclusive and factor in $100 p/m for Aircon on lower floored buildings around the metro - on higher floors you can get away without it at night which is a big saving. 

Regarding wifi, you are better off with a Smart USB LTE stick around manila IMHO, it'll set you back around a $1.25 per day and is pretty reliable around the metro even when it drops to 3g speeds sometimes. 

Also bear in mind that you will only pick up something reasonable with cash or postdated checks, I managed to pick up a place in Makati for 13K excluding electric / water / internet on rolling contract with only a month deposit when I first landed but that was really the exception and while location was great, safe  and high floor the building was Manky and in the redlight area of burgos and only 29 sqm ! - Until we had a checkbook it was the only option. 

Edited by deevey
  • Like 1