"before You Propose, Be Sure To Meet Her Mother!"

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I'll do 3 generations.

Firstly SAO (Short Angry One - my girl)

SAO_zps0af66557.jpg

SAO the Younger (my 16yo step-daughter-to-be)

SAOtheyounger_zpse6c3f6c4.jpg

And the picture I love, SAOY and her Grane chilling on a stinking hot day, yep sneak shot on my part:

saoandgrane_zps2d774a14.jpg

Love 'em all and they all put up with me;  Momma treats my like a wayward but much-loved son  :whistling:

Funny thing is, they're getting taller by generation:  Momma about 4'10, SAO about 5'1 and SAOY 5'3  :89:

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Anyway, I think it is really good advice. Meet the family, and pay particular attention to her mother - your prospective mother in law.
:thumbsup:      Meeting the family early* is expected traditionaly in Phils anyway.

*Old tradition is even meet the family BEFORE start dating the daughter.

I would bear in mind that while the apple may not fall far from the tree, they can sometimes roll all the way down the hill.  Parents and offspring are not always alike. :tiphat:

Yes.

They can be damaged by spoilong, inconsistent parenting and such.

When parent(-s) are bad, drug adicts or such, then it's common the child become similar OR become "opposite".

(I have done genealogy research long time back concerning my ancestors.  Most are same - as e g not divorse and men took care of kids at least 70 years before that became common. But at the straight man line I have noticed a funny thing, which each generation is "opposite" concerning = Risk taking:

/Me   - Like to take calculated risks. E g after planning I left a well paid work and started own company as young, because I wanted to move from city. And prefer to be my own boss   :)

/F =Father -  No chance he would move to Phils  :lol:     When I were 15 we and my oldest cousin talked about starting business together. I started as soon as I could, while they stayed employed until retirement...    :)

/FF =Grandfather - He took some big risks without even thinking first   :mocking:

/FFF  -  Prefered a very calm life making custom made furniture.

/FF FF  - I don't know, but if asume he was risktaker, all generations suit..

/FF FF F  - tailor in a village.  I asume he didn't wanted to take risks   :lol:

/FF FF FF  - soldier. I asume risktaker    :)

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)

That is actually Old English advice, passed on to me by my grandmother, who was a genuine Victorian.

(One of her other observations, equally true, but surprising, was "Sex won't make a marriage, but it can break one" - I had no idea that young ladies born when Victoria was on the throne had ever heard of sex! Clearly, they had - but she was a farmer's daughter!)  

Anyway, I think it is really good advice. Meet the family, and pay particular attention to her mother - your prospective mother in law.

For one thing, you get to see what your wife will look like, and more important you will get a sense of how she has been brought up.

Here's mine:

598d8985-1044-4019-8c45-085a1b44671f_zps

Catalina is an absolute diamond - she has a very fine sense of right and wrong and whilst she is a gentle soul she makes quite sure that everybody knows where she stands on an issue. As a tiny example, I sent some flowers for her and her two daughters - the flowers were not to be opened and put in vases until Kor was there. 

(She has passed down some good genes, too...)

There are obviously Rules for meeting the prospective outlaws for the first time - "mano po" is often a good idea - and you must expect to be asked some serious questions, as well as being hauled off for a male bonding session involving beer or Emperador Light or in my father in law's case, unfortunately for me, Kulafu...

But be very sure to know what you are getting into.

Are there any "spare children" around? Any grandchildren dumped on Lola? Any of the siblings with step children? How does this family really work?

Which is actually your girl? Obviously I mean of the younger 2.

Edited by El Negrito
  • Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Which is actually your girl? Obviously I mean of the younger 2.

The one in the foreground.

67f81e34-7921-4f35-bde9-77498e42e8b4_zps

gallery_4318_276_31247.jpg

10534718_843593222325200_898313196531477

The other young lady is her niece and is all of 13, though, as is the nature of young women of her age, she strives to look much older! No doubt she will break a few hearts, presently.The small boy with the teddy bear is my stepson.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

You guys have no clue about the proper way to get married!

post-635-0-15082300-1407988780_thumb.jpg

Wife did not understand why I wanted the court bailiff in the photo. 

• Like 5

Coffeehound
Posted
Posted

Looks like an ole fashioned shotgun wedding! Love that pic.

• Like 4