Can A Landlord Do This!?

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

A landlord in Greater Manila is renting a small condo to 3 young female professionals in Mandaluyong, near Makati.

They pay 9k each per month. One of them has just left. The other 2 are willing to pay the difference until another 3rd renter is found, but the landlord spoke/communicated to them about them moving out, then he very recently sprung that they should move out on the 15th Aug. In the past they have sometimes paid rent a few days late. 

The landlord's request seems unreasonable and of course the young ladies are very concerned and frightened. 

What are the rules about notice and what can be done? In UK, a renter can continue to live in a property if there is a dispute, until the landlord gets a court order. The renter has the right to quiet enjoyment of the property and has the right to change the locks. A court order can take months. What are the rules in the Philippines/ NCR?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well do they have a lease I think is the first thing?

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

A landlord in Greater Manila is renting a small condo to 3 young female professionals in Mandaluyong, near Makati.

They pay 9k each per month. One of them has just left. The other 2 are willing to pay the difference until another 3rd renter is found, but the landlord spoke/communicated to them about them moving out, then he very recently sprung that they should move out on the 15th Aug. In the past they have sometimes paid rent a few days late. 

The landlord's request seems unreasonable and of course the young ladies are very concerned and frightened. 

What are the rules about notice and what can be done? In UK, a renter can continue to live in a property if there is a dispute, until the landlord gets a court order. The renter has the right to quiet enjoyment of the property and has the right to change the locks. A court order can take months. What are the rules in the Philippines/ NCR?

The landlords in the Philippines are always doing unreasonable things. I have heard from my pinay friends a few times of them being locked out of their boarding house for only being a few days late with rent. Was so bad, that a couple had to street outside their boarding house or with friends until they could get the rent together.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

As long as they have all payments current, the landlord cannot force them out. He can change the locks when they aren't home though. First thing the girls should do is change the locks themselves.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Worth keeping in mind that you should not expect your deposit back, because the landlord will have spent it!

• Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
Be friendly with your landlord.
Asolutely. I have an excellent relationship with ours.

On the other hand there are some real sc*mb*gs around Beijing that will rip you off for every penny.

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

As long as they have all payments current, the landlord cannot force them out. He can change the locks when they aren't home though. First thing the girls should do is change the locks themselves.

Is this allowed and accepted? The Girls changing the locks i mean.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

this should be taken to the local barangay and discussed,

in previous articles in the DEAR PAO column(manila times.net) she has discuss situations similar to this,

the BARANGAY in some areas (of personal life problems... i.e, neighbors,stray dogs, debts)can assist,

i am speaking of what I have seen & noticed over the years, (not my personal experience ) as i am 1 of the ones who likes to know what they do and ask questions in case i have a problem,,,,,

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

When I hear that Word, MANILA, my mind always goes back many years. I was in a Hotel between Flights, I was talking to the Receptionist,

A problem broke out in the bar and the Manager was called. I asked (as you do) Why no Police called. HA! she said ( The receptionist)

with a name like he's got (as in family name) they won't attend.This, I think, will have big bearings on many things

Being a member of certain Families, seems to give, extra Rights and Leeways, to many unscrupulous Businessmen [ If you can call, Landlords  Businessmen?]

Apart from just being here, and living with the dubious rules  The better connected you are the more, you can be Unscrupulous 

Not just, in Manila but anywhere IMHO

:tiphat:  :morning1:  Morning All. 

• Like 1