Npa - What Is It?

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

WOW so much great info and knowledge on this forum. I knew I was better asking here than scrolling thru a websearch!

• Like 1

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

Long post and a bit of a rant

Everyone here goes on about what a great organization the NPA are.  But they are one of only two  proscribed terrorist organizations in the Philippines the other being Abu Sayyaf. So do we class Abu sayyaf in the same light as they provide policing and aid to the local communities where they operate. Their all purpose is to bring down the democratic elected government of the Philippines and replace it with a Maoist style government. As an ex member of HM Armed Forces during the so called Troubles, it's annoying to say the least, to see people implying that its ok those shot were were only security forces.  The examples I will quote are walking grenades through a checkpoint and acting as lookout for an interrogation.  Both are not low level support those are full blown terrorist activities.  Sorry about the rant its what I believe should be thought of terrorist organizations.  

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I see no rant.

And I did not suggest that my ex wife's activities were OK.

You and I both know how common those activities were in Northern Ireland and how hard they are to eradicate. If you drag everyone who does them off to jail as a terrorist you have no population left to run the place.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Long post and a bit of a rant

Everyone here goes on about what a great organization the NPA are.  But they are one of only two  proscribed terrorist organizations in the Philippines the other being Abu Sayyaf. So do we class Abu sayyaf in the same light as they provide policing and aid to the local communities where they operate. Their all purpose is to bring down the democratic elected government of the Philippines and replace it with a Maoist style government. As an ex member of HM Armed Forces during the so called Troubles, it's annoying to say the least, to see people implying that its ok those shot were were only security forces.  The examples I will quote are walking grenades through a checkpoint and acting as lookout for an interrogation.  Both are not low level support those are full blown terrorist activities.  Sorry about the rant its what I believe should be thought of terrorist organizations.  

Hey Malcolm,

I also see no rant......you were in the mud and the freezing blizzards patrolling the streets of northern Ireland.  I had to look

up Troubles so other members could understand your sacrifice and dedication to duty.  

From Wikipedia: "The Troubles" late 1960's refers to the three decades of violence between elements of Northern Ireland's

Irish nationalist community (mainly self-identified as Irish and/or Roman Catholic) and its unionist community (mainly self-

identified as British and/or Protestant).

Here in the Philippines, guerilla warfare started with the weak and the poor.  They needed an inspiration to arm themselves

and a leader(s) with false hopes and dreams.  Their ideology against oppression by govt troops could be justified when they

first started.  But now, I think it's for their other inspiration -- money.  It started out as a cottage industry down south and now

it's a lucrative business , KFR (kidnap for ransom).  They needed money to rearm, get more shabu and more provisions to

hide in the boonies.

post-686-0-59368600-1408201683_thumb.jpg

The British Footslogger: post-686-0-21692200-1408202150_thumb.jpg I salute you soldier!

Markham
Posted
Posted
Everyone here goes on about what a great organization the NPA are. But they are one of only two proscribed terrorist organizations in the Philippines the other being Abu Sayyaf. So do we class Abu sayyaf in the same light as they provide policing and aid to the local communities where they operate. Their all purpose is to bring down the democratic elected government of the Philippines and replace it with a Maoist style government.

This is a somewhat confused explanation. Abu Sayaf is a fundamentalist Muslim terror group affiliated to al Qaida however its tactics are more akin to Boku Harem and the IS irregular army, the latter of which al Qaida states is too extreme. Their aim is to incorporate much of the Philippines into a Southeast Asian Caliphate based in Indonesia and for that it may have tacit approval from the Sultan of Brunei who has recently instituted strict Sharia Law in his tiny - but immensely wealthy - country.

The NPA is a somewhat different organisation and is the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines - just as the IRA is/was the armed wing of Sein Fein. The NPA targets corrupt officials at all levels and arguably does the population a service by so doing. It is sponsored, equipped and armed by China and given that country's designs on the Philippines generally, is a fifth column that needs to be eradicated.

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

The NPA targets corrupt officials at all levels and arguably does the population a service by so doing. It is sponsored, equipped and armed by China and given that country's designs on the Philippines generally, is a fifth column that needs to be eradicated.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but those comments are ridiculous. Violence is never the answer.

Markham
Posted
Posted

The NPA targets corrupt officials at all levels and arguably does the population a service by so doing. It is sponsored, equipped and armed by China and given that country's designs on the Philippines generally, is a fifth column that needs to be eradicated.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but those comments are ridiculous. Violence is never the answer.

Don't shoot the messenger!

You may find it uncomfortable to know that for many ordinary Filipinos, the NPA is the only provider of anything vaguely resembling justice.

• Like 2

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

You may find it uncomfortable to know that for many ordinary Filipinos, the NPA is the only provider of anything vaguely resembling justice.

I know tons of hard working Filipinos, and none of them have that opinion of the NPA.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

Everyone here goes on about what a great organization the NPA are. But they are one of only two proscribed terrorist organizations in the Philippines the other being Abu Sayyaf. So do we class Abu sayyaf in the same light as they provide policing and aid to the local communities where they operate. Their all purpose is to bring down the democratic elected government of the Philippines and replace it with a Maoist style government.

This is a somewhat confused explanation. Abu Sayaf is a fundamentalist Muslim terror group affiliated to al Qaida however its tactics are more akin to Boku Harem and the IS irregular army, the latter of which al Qaida states is too extreme. Their aim is to incorporate much of the Philippines into a Southeast Asian Caliphate based in Indonesia and for that it may have tacit approval from the Sultan of Brunei who has recently instituted strict Sharia Law in his tiny - but immensely wealthy - country.

The NPA is a somewhat different organisation and is the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines - just as the IRA is/was the armed wing of Sein Fein. The NPA targets corrupt officials at all levels and arguably does the population a service by so doing. It is sponsored, equipped and armed by China and given that country's designs on the Philippines generally, is a fifth column that needs to be eradicated.

Mark,

I agree with everything you said until the last sentence.  I can't even imagine China giving money to any Filipinos, especially if they have almost no chance of being effective against the government at a national level after many years of trying.  And, if China was supporting them some of the NPA wouldn't be so poor that they beg for food. Also, my limited knowledge of the NPA doesn't indicate that they are a Communist organization since they believe in voting. Are Communist in China allowed to vote?  The government saying they are Communist since WWII was done to be sure other countries see them as the enemy. The real enemy are the Muslim terrorist groups, not the Christian Filipino people. A little known fact is some in government are NPA. NPA do not have enough members to elect all of their candidates but some still are elected into office.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Many Filipinos like to think that the NPA is Chinese funded and since relations with China have deteriorated over the South China Sea "nine dash line", a suggestion that the NPA is Chinese funded is a good way to bash them.

The only evidence for this that I have seen in recent times has been the recent use by the NPA of Kalashnikovs; unlike every other leftist guerilla group on the planet they have not usually had them., My ex wife's ability to strip an M16 indicates where the NPA get most of their weapons from - Uncle Sam gives them to the Government and "elements within" the Government sell or "lose" them to the NPA. A case of this was reported just a few days ago. The use of AK47s, not a weapon used by the Philippines Military, by some NPA units suggests that there have been supplies from outside the country, and many people suspect China as the most likely source.

The NPA IS the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines aka Marcos' greatest asset.

That's an in joke - because whenever he needed money he would just scare Uncle Sam with the Communist Threat. Worked every time.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2