More Baggage For Retired Canadian And American Military

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

For those who don't know, Air Canada has changed their baggage policy. For current and retired military - both Canadian and American - we can now pack 3 suitcases at 70lbs each plus our 2 carry-on items. And, to make it a little easier, any partnered airline will honor the baggage. For example my flight on Air Canada goes as far as Hong Kong, about 4 hours layover and then of to Cebu on Cathay Pacific. No overweight baggage fee. So, once again, 3 suitcases to 70lbs, a carry-on at 20 something lbs and a laptop in a separate bag. (My carry-on already has 3 laptops inside... Hehe!)

Edited by I am bob
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Bob, it sounds like you could start your own air freight! :hystery:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

For those who don't know, Air Canada has changed their baggage policy. For current and retired military - both Canadian and American - we can now pack 3 suitcases at 70lbs each plus our 2 carry-on items. And, to make it a little easier, any partnered airline will honor the baggage. For example my flight on Air Canada goes as far as Hong Kong, about 4 hours layover and then of to Cebu on Cathay Pacific. No overweight baggage fee. So, once again, 3 suitcases to 70lbs, a carry-on at 20 something lbs and a laptop in a separate bag. (My carry-on already has 3 laptops inside... Hehe!)

Sounds too good to be true Bob.  Just to offset Murphy's Law, please bring a hard copy document about

partnered airlines to honor that baggage policy of Air Canada.  And make sure it's 70lbs and not 700lbs,

like last time, OK? post-686-0-74557300-1408038724_thumb.jpg  Gotta love them Canadians......

• Like 5

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

So are you really coming to the Phils ?

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Boots down 2 November 2014.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sorry Jake... Only have my phone with me and it's at 3% charge remaining... Google "air Canada baggage military" and it will bring up an Air Canada memo with this info. I called customer service and they told me that any other star member will honor this. Went on Cathay Pacific website which, when you check baggage allotments for other carriers from USA and Canada, the other carrier limit holds true. I'll put the references up hopefully later tonight.

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

I would be very surprised if each case can be 70lb for flights to SE Asia. If you fly from Europe, you would be restricted to 23kgs per case regardless of destination - for Health and Safety reasons,

Edited by Markham

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

70 lbs is the limit for 1st class luggage so it looks like the upgrade is in place

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Sorry Jake... Only have my phone with me and it's at 3% charge remaining... Google "air Canada baggage military" and it will bring up an Air Canada memo with this info. I called customer service and they told me that any other star member will honor this. Went on Cathay Pacific website which, when you check baggage allotments for other carriers from USA and Canada, the other carrier limit holds true. I'll put the references up hopefully later tonight.

Hey Bob,

I took the liberty while you allowed yourself to be on fumes at 3% critical.  What kind of naval aviator are you?

You better be fully charged (like 3 C batteries long) upon arrival there.  Your fellow members have got you

lined up with some exciting blind dates.  Anyway, here's the new policy.  

post-686-0-99012600-1408105828_thumb.jpg

I think it's a good promotion and really helps the military community on boths side.  If each and every passenger

was military, then Air Canada would probably not promote it.  What would be the percentage of military using

Air Canada for international travel?  

post-686-0-38824800-1408106250_thumb.jpg

i am bob
Posted
Posted

An FYI:  Anything written here in green is my comment.  The rest is from the source quoted.  Ok, so here are the references and info:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/140529.html

logo_air_canada.png

What's New!

New checked baggage policy for military personnel

May 29, 2014

Effective immediately, members of the Canadian and U.S. military will benefit from an enhanced baggage allowance whenever they travel on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge or Air Canada Express. Eligible active and retired members of the Canadian and U.S. military are entitled to up to three pieces of checked baggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) each.

After completing their check-in, eligible customers are invited to see an airport agent to have their baggage fee waived, upon presentation of military identification.

And now for what Cathay Pacific says about the baggage?  (I'm going to skip over all the parts for Asia and Europe and head straight to the pertinent info for this thread)  :

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_CA/travel-information/baggage/check-in-baggage/most-significant-carrier-msc-for-multi-carrier-journey.html

IATA has divided the world into three Tariff Areas but within a Tariff Area there are a few sub areas:

IATA Tariff Areas Sub areas North America, Central and South America, Hawaii USA, Canada, Mexico Caribbean Central America South America Europe, Middle East Europe Middle East Africa
Asia, Guam, Southwest Pacific Japan, Korea Southeast Asia South Asian Subcontinent Southwest Pacific

The US DOT defines international journeys to/from the US as travel that contains more than one country (international travel) withthe origin, destination or furthest checked point being in the US. Exceptions imposed by the Department of Transportation of the US Government will be in place.

The US, for the purposes of baggage selection criteria, consists of the continental United States and US Territories - Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Wake Islands and Kiribati, including Canton and Gilbert Island.

1. For journeys to/from the US, the rules of the first marketing carrier on the journey apply, provided that the first marketing carrier is specified on ATPCO’s (Airline Tariff Publishing Company) published list of US DOT Carriers (defined as carriers where general rules tariffs to/from the US have been filed).

2. If the first marketing carrier is not specified on ATPCO’s published list of US DOT Carriers, then the rules of the very next marketing carrier on the journey that is specified on ATPCO’s list of US DOT Carriers apply.

3. Once the first marketing carrier is identified (through steps 1 and 2 above), it is the first marketing carrier’s policy to opt for the rules of the Most Significant marketing Carrier (MSC) for the journey or retain the first marketing carrier’s own baggage policy. (Cathay Pacific opts for the rules of the MSC.)

For instance:

Boston - Los Angeles - Hong Kong - Los Angeles - Boston Exception applies Hong Kong - Vancouver - New York City - Hong Kong

Exce

ption applies

Hong Kong - Los Angeles - Toronto - Hong Kong Exception does NOT apply

If the exception applies:

1. The MSC must be the Marketing Carrier for codeshare flights.
    Example: Los Angeles - Hong Kong travel with tickets bought from American Airlines but the flight is operated by Cathay Pacific.
    American Airlines is the Most Significant Carrier.
  2. The whole journey should be taken into account when determining the MSC even if the traveller checks out their baggage at one point during the journey.

If anybody wants a little bit more info from Air Canada, here's a copy of the memo they sent out:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/agents_na/policies/documents/military_baggage_policy.pdf

BAGGAGE POLICY FOR MEMBERS OF MILITARY TRAVELLING ON AIR CANADA 
Effective immediately, members of the Canadian and U.S. military benefit from an enhanced baggage 
allowance whenever they travel on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada rouge™ or 
Air Canada Express™. 
Eligible active and retired members of the Canadian and U.S. military are now entitled to check up to three 
pieces of checked baggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb) each. The allowance is applicable to the 
member of the military and is valid for both personal and duty travel. 
Airport Handling 
As eligibility is confirmed only after a valid military ID has been presented to one of our Customer Sales and 
Service Agents at the airport, self-service check-in will not automatically apply the increased baggage 
allowance. 
Eligible members of the military must continue to use self-service (kiosk, web, mobile) however to initiate 
check-in; baggage tags according to the standard ticket allowance must be printed at an airport kiosk, if 
available. To obtain baggage tags for any additional baggage over and above the standard ticket allowance 
up to three pieces, eligible members must proceed to Check-in Assistance at kiosk-equipped stations or 
Economy Class at non-kiosk stations and present a valid military identification card. 
If members are eligible for Priority Check-in, they may proceed directly to Priority Check-in, where the 
additional allowance will be applied by an agent after presentation of a valid military identification card. 
Acceptable form of Canadian military identification 
 DND ID card for National Defence (NDI 20) 
 Record of Service Card (NDI 75) 
 Any Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Benefit Card 
 Discharge Certificate from any branch of the Canadian Military 
 Statement of Service from any branch of the Canadian Military 
 Certificate of Service (CF 54 or CF 75) from any branch of the Canadian Military 
 Valid DND Temporary ID card (NDI 10) 
 Canadian Forces or Former member CFOne card (with photo ID) 

So, if you are military or retired military from the Canadian or US Forces and flying to the Philippines, book through Air Canada.  If you are flying back from the Philippines?  Book through Air Canada again and you will still get your baggage allotment.

• Like 1