Will I Qualify For Health Insurance In The Philippines?

Michealusa
Posted
Posted

I have been reading the comments here about health insurance and I am still a little confused about it.

Here in the States I am self employed so due to Obama Care I had to drop my health insurance or give up eating.

I have been healthy most of my life with almost no medical problems at all but seeing I'm getting a little older I do want to have coverage when I move to the Philippines.

Just in case.

My question is can I get Insuance on myself there?

I've been to the Phil-Care & Tricare Websites but it looks to me like I wouldn't qualfy under their plans.

I know I probably overlooked a post relating to this so I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Blue cross of the Philippines(not connected w/blue cross usa) may be the best for you

the American association Philippines is try to get enough members so they can offer a GROUP RATE w/Blue cross Philippines

try to email them(not blue cross) they may have updated info

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

If your a 20 year retired vet, either active or reserve, or service connected disability retired, you will qualify for tri care

RBM
Posted
Posted

Blue cross of the Philippines(not connected w/blue cross usa) may be the best for you

the American association Philippines is try to get enough members so they can offer a GROUP RATE w/Blue cross Philippines

try to email them(not blue cross) they may have updated info

I have a friend whom was recently hospitalized, he  was covered by Blue Cross. Their service was outstanding, even went to visit him on several occasions. He was totally satisfied, yes he is a foreigner. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Alby
Posted
Posted

I am in your same sinking boat :) Still healthy but getting old do I better watch it!

I had dismissed philhealth since it seems I have to a Filipino or married to one. So, the next choice would be BC of Philippines or others.

This subject was discussed previously and I think links to BC plans and others are in the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I am in your same sinking boat :) Still healthy but getting old do I better watch it!

I had dismissed philhealth since it seems I have to a Filipino or married to one. So, the next choice would be BC of Philippines or others.

This subject was discussed previously and I think links to BC plans and others are in the forum.

Why do you think you can't get PhilHealth?

Best you go back and read all our older posts on this one.  There is a ton of info in there that would be very pertinent for you!

Alby
Posted
Posted

The reason, I think, Philhealth is for Filipinos or for those who married to one (13-a visa) and I am neither.

Sure. They subscribe you and take your money but when is time to collect you would hear it's the law!

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The reason, I think, Philhealth is for Filipinos or for those who married to one (13-a visa) and I am neither. Sure. They subscribe you and take your money but when is time to collect you would hear it's the law!

After dealing with some of the hospitals here that would not surprise me one bit. There is so much misinformation about this and Philhealth's own website doesn't mention foreigners except as Dependents. I do not know of anyone who is single and here on a tourist visa who has used it. We have used it twice, once for my wife and once for our child but, obviously, they are not tourists. Then there's the issue of Philhealth policy and the hospital's interpretation of the policy. Either way, unless you are a Filipino citizen AND classified indigent it is not comprehensive. You get a discount on the bill, what that is varies widely. I think I've let our's lapse but we have comprehensive private coverage. I wouldn't go a day w/o it.

Alby
Posted
Posted

MikeB said:

"You get a discount on the bill, what that is varies widely. "

Since 'widely' would depend on a Filipino interpretation, how much do you think a tourist would get? Nada!

Would anybody take the chance of paying for it and not be paid later? Not me.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

There are specific amounts on what they pay depending on medical procedure. The Philhealth benefit is typically deducted from the bill before you pay and before any other insurance is applied.