Will I Qualify For Health Insurance In The Philippines?

Alby
Posted
Posted

MikeB, so the verdict is still out on Philhealth on a tourist ACR.

Which is what I had thought and frankly it's how it should be. Coz why should the Philippines take care of tourists health expenses? Besides, if they don't do it now I am sure they will address this generosity when you need it?

One should always act as if no one is going to help him. It's the American way after all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

In my opinion if you have a paid up Philhealth membership with a valid ID card any reputable hospital should allow whatever Philhealth benefits apply regardless of what visa you have. But you are asking if ALL Filipino hospitals will abide, it's not possible to give a categorical answer. First and foremost, protect yourselves and your love ones by making sure you carry plastic with enough credit for a deposit should you need to be admitted to a private hospital. I had private insurance in 2011 but they couldn't or wouldn't verify coverage so I had to come up with p30k in the ER or I would not have been admitted. The card probably saved my life.     

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

MikeB, I understand and it's my opinion too but the interpretation of law is up in the air here.

To do it one would best be protected if he gets private health insurance but adding the extra iffy Philhealth cost may not make much sense would it?

This, I guess, depends on how sick the person is and how deep his pocket is.

Luckily, philhealth costs only 2,400 Pesos/year ... for now :)

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If you have a pre-existing condition the private insurer may deny the claim, the Philhealth benefit could help offset the costs. There are also some things that private insurance doesn't typically cover like maternity benefits. Only the top Blue Cross policy even covers it and there's a 12 month waiting period so you can't get pregnant and run down and buy insurance. We used Philhealth for the maternity bill, after 40% went to the dr the remaining was applied to the bill, about 12% off. It helped.

Alby
Posted
Posted

Thanks MikeB!!

I guess it won't hurt getting the philhealth then. At least for my gf ... Incase I screw up ;)

• 2 months later...
Prince Nosh Retiro
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you are looking for a health insurance here in the Philippines, Blue Cross Philippines will be the best (not related to blue cross blue shield of US): 

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
do not put email or phone numbers in first post or you will be banned as a spammer

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I have life insurance too but have never used it.

What?! Have you never used your life insurance???!!!    :)

You're not going to get a definitive answer as to what ALL Filipino hospitals will do.
Corect. But the main is what PHILHEALTH will do, I suppouse. If a hospital don't deduct the PhilHealth part, then I suppouse PhilHealth will adjust that later.
MikeB, so the verdict is still out on Philhealth on a tourist ACR. Which is what I had thought and frankly it's how it should be. Coz why should the Philippines take care of tourists health expenses?
But it's an INSURANCE. Common insurances's costs are suppoused to be covered by the insurances fees.  

(Some suggestion/law in parlament is some very poor Filipins will get support, although they can't pay the fees.) 

But you are asking if ALL Filipino hospitals will abide, it's not possible to give a categorical answer.
I don't know if it's true, but I have heared some rumours that SOME hospitals don't do it for Filipins either.

I guess it won't hurt getting the philhealth then. At least for my gf ... Incase I screw up ;)

If you are married, you can "conect"  yourself, and in any case you can "conect" her parents, and her kids too if she has any.

(I believe the fee will be higher than for a single person, but much than if geting one each.)