Own Property?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
Is there any real possibility that this could come about? I understand that we are to be only spectators in Philippine politics, but is there any legal way that we can help to pass such a resolution?

Apologies from me also, I inferred a rhetorical question, aimed at generating discussion.

I would say Yes, it is possible and No, there is no legal way to help pass the resolution.  To say more than that would put us back on the citizenship issue which is relevant and appropriate to the questions but is an area you do not wish to discuss.

Edit:  Please keep in mind that readers infer as much from the title as from the body of content so perhaps the title of this thread does not suggest the kind of replies you would like  If you want the title changed, please ask.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

jon1
Posted
Posted

I doubt that this attempt will ever come through. Unless it is in the interest of the Powers that be. I personally think that the elite purposefully are against this as they fear the competition of big foreign companies coming in and taking their slice of pie.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This is what you said in the first post

Of course, one way to gain permission to own Philippine property is to become a citizen. But, I've read somewhere that applying for Philippine citizenship would be taken by the US State Department as a renunciation of my US citizenship, and all the benefits (e.g., SS payments) of that citizenship.

Jon

It strikes me as odd that not a single posting addresses my two original questions. I included the second paragraph so that I wouldn't be told to become a citizen, instead nearly all the responses focused on citizenship or the need for investment.

Its not odd at all, you wrote about to own property is to become a citizen therefor its no wonder you have posts relating to citizenship.

Anyway as for your question lets look at it a different way. If all the Filipinos in the USA were trying to change the constitution of America do you think it would greeted with open arms?

I don't think its right or a sensible thing to do to get involved in a host countries policy's. One day changes may come to favor foreign ownership but it will only happen by the Philippines people and their representatives; not by any outside influence. If and when it happens I believe it will be more business and investment orientated well before land ownership for housing.

• Like 3

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

Good point, I'll just observe. Though I do recall that Filipinos did infuence the long overdue payments for their service during WWII, getting a paltry $10,000 for their efforts.

fred
Posted
Posted

Good point, I'll just observe. Though I do recall that Filipinos did infuence the long overdue payments for their service during WWII, getting a paltry $10,000 for their efforts.

There services where Jon? The Philippines?

• 2 weeks later...
Gary Plant
Posted
Posted

I recommend the story

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2014/08/18/1358822/44-pinoys-want-economic-cha-cha-poll

I live in constant fear that the owner of "my" property (for which I have a 25-year lease) will find a smarter lawyer than mine and find a way to kick me out. So the thought of having my name on the title is intriguing. Is there any real possibility that this could come about? I understand that we are to be only spectators in Philippine politics, but is there any legal way that we can help to pass such a resolution?

Of course, one way to gain permission to own Philippine property is to become a citizen. But, I've read somewhere that applying for Philippine citizenship would be taken by the US State Department as a renunciation of my US citizenship, and all the benefits (e.g., SS payments) of that citizenship.

Jon

simply buy it put it n your girls name and do a reverse lease

robert k
Posted
Posted

I hope she really "love you long time" for the gift of land. If you split and it isn't amicable, allegations that would get you deported may ensue and there is always two helmeted men on a motorcycle with tinted visors as a last resort. Why buy it in your girls name and lease it from her, when you can lease it from a stranger? and then if you and your girl split, you are less likely to be homeless?

It all comes back to money, I wouldn't buy a woman land unless I was ready to marry her, then I would have no need to lease it from her, right? If the OP were really rolling in dough, he would not need to try combining a roof over his head with an investment. There are plenty of investments out there where you have control, free gift of the purchase price of land to your girl gives you no more control than you have over your girl, who may not think she needs you, now that she is a landowner. Oh, it would also be free gift of the price of the land plus possibly Philippines gift tax, unless the girl does not file taxes and if she doesn't file taxes or report the gift she is a tax cheat. I wonder if the BIR offers a reward for reporting tax cheats?

I think the safest and cheapest possible way to live is to not try to get around any laws. The benefits are not worth the risks. The OP is interested in security is what I glean from his posts. Minimizing risks is the best path to security in my humble opinion. All the running around, spending alot of money, placing yourself in dependence on others makes you no more secure in the end than just getting a lease in the first place, don't outsmart yourself. :tiphat:

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
A person wishing to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship must voluntarily and with intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship: appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer, in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate); and sign an oath of renunciation

Just heard in the news today that the fee to renounce your US citizenship has been raised to $2,000.  I guess they really want to make sure that it is what a person wants to do!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
don't outsmart yourself.

Very Wise Words, if you look at the majority of Foreigner killings over the Last 2/3 years, you will see a pattern emerging, where there is a story involved. Many times we( the Foreigner) try and Circumnavigate things. It really is just not worth it. I think Roberts Post, says it all.

JP :tiphat:

RBM
Posted
Posted

Find this topic particularly interesting as seriously considering using my funds to purchase a house in the foreseeable future.

Why do it, many advise invest the funds, keep control, rent a place, stay mobile in case the dreaded video k moves in next door. Yes sensible. For myself am tired of some unreasonable land lords, continuios struggle over security deposits, usually paying for repairs or waiting for ever. Our good land lords have been few.

My considered opinion is regardless how one ties up the property legally, if the other party really want the property one is history. Have witnessed this first hand when a wife's family decided they wanted the daughters property. The English guy was basically removed by scare threats.

It's often said, never invest more than 35% of ones assets here! I endorse this, and abide by it.

So why purchase a home.

For myself, partly tired of land lords, feel would like to do what I want in my place (opps GFs place) when I want. Plus something for a currently nice GF when I pass over. Having said this, if the relationship turns to sh&t soon after a property is purchased, would it effect me to much financially? Yes but not drastically so.

What to do during purchase, maybe power of attorney, 25 year lease.

How ever to reiterate....if my current GF really wants me out it's not difficult.

• Like 4