Getting Home Internet Set Up, No Joke.

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

Hi Folks,

I tend to go for independent women who are financially self-sufficient, but I never asked a lady to get internet at home.

I am in my second relationship with a filipina now, and the first had huge difficulties getting internet in Angeles City... it took literally months before the company could sort it out. There were problems with the cables, not reaching the house. And problems with the reliability of engineers.

Now, my new and current girlfriend is in Manila, and recently told me she plans to get internet at home. Today was the scheduled appointment for the internet man to set it up, and no shock here... he didn't turn up....

Based on your experience getting home internet set up, would you recommend doing so in the philippines? It just seems like a huge waste of time and stress in my view. I don't know if mobile data is reliable, but my advice to her would be to get a smartphone with 3G or 4G and go that route. What do yous think?

MikeB
Posted
Posted

If the internet is critical to you then you need at least 2 sources, one for a backup. When the DSL goes down it doesn't much bother me because I use the unlimited data plan on the phone. Both are Globe but I don't recall having them both down at the same time but it's certainly possible. From my experience mobile data has few or no outages but I'm very close to a tower, 3g unfortunately.

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

I don't live with her - it's so we can keep in touch. Looks like we might be back to just texting....

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Get a cheap smart phone in Manila should be no problem for internet on a phone 

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

Get a cheap smart phone in Manila should be no problem for internet on a phone 

She's a luddite. I'm trying to convince her.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I don't live with her - it's so we can keep in touch. Looks like we might be back to just texting....

No one seems to be mentioning, Globe tattoo or Smart bro, usb sticks!  :unsure:

We use Smart bro when our Connection goes down.

JP

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

Wow, I must admit I find this surprising. I have lived in 4 different areas of Manila, (one being Bagong Silang, which most taxi drivers do not want to go to for fear of their safety) and I have had no difficulty getting internet, that includes Makati, Pasig, and Ortigas.

Additionally I have lived in three different areas of Angeles, and had no problem getting internet in our house. In most cases, ordered it, and it was installed the next day. In my current home, we ordered it on a Saturday, and they installed in the next day! Yes that is right on a Sunday!

Papa Carl

• Like 2

sandwichmaker
Posted
Posted

Wow, I must admit I find this surprising. I have lived in 4 different areas of Manila, (one being Bagong Silang, which most taxi drivers do not want to go to for fear of their safety) and I have had no difficulty getting internet, that includes Makati, Pasig, and Ortigas.

Additionally I have lived in three different areas of Angeles, and had no problem getting internet in our house. In most cases, ordered it, and it was installed the next day. In my current home, we ordered it on a Saturday, and they installed in the next day! Yes that is right on a Sunday!

Papa Carl

Thanks Papa Carl. Can you tell me how long the contracts were?

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

24 months in all cases. PLDT, or Comclark in all areas. Also, I was able to transfer my 24 month contract to different locations. 

However when I first moved up to Angeles and wanted to transfer my PLDT, it was not available on my street, and therefore I did not have to pay out the remainder of my contract, because it was not available and therefore not my fault. Fortunately I was able to then order the service from Comclark.

Papa Carl

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree with Papa Carl. I have never heard of anyone who couldn't get Internet service in Manila, Cebu City or any other large city. This sounds fishy to me. When you are in the Philippines you should go to the Internet provider with her to see what's really going on.

This reminds me of the story were a foreigner's girlfriend said she was trying to get a Passport for over 2 years while he's in another country working. There has to be more to the stories than what you and he knows.

Edited by Americano