Please Help Me. I'm Being Seduced !

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted (edited)

Been looking at Penang. A beautiful Island with lovely scenic countryside, and lovely old

heritage buildings.

It's closer to Perth therefore cheaper to commute and less traveling time.

It seems almost everything there is one third the price of almost everything in Australia.

To make life easier approx 300 Malaysian Ringits = 100 aud.

Food is great and cheap. People I know go there just for the food.

The Malaysian government is welcoming and gives an automatic 3 month visa on arrival.

Also the Malaysia My Second Home program (MM2H) offers (with conditions) a 10yr visa.

In short I would say that there is less crime, less poverty, less corruption and offers much better conditions

in which to enjoy an expat life.

NOW HELP ME !!!!!!!!

Edited by Classic Dry
  • Like 4

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Been looking at Penang. A beautiful Island with lovely scenic countryside, and lovely old

heritage buildings.

It seems almost everything there is one third the price of almost everything in Australia.

The Malaysian government is welcoming and gives an automatic 3 month visa on arrival.

Also the Malaysia My Second Home program (MM2H) offers (with conditions) a 10yr visa.

In short I would say that there is less crime, less poverty, less corruption and offers much better conditions

NOW HELP ME !!!!!!!!

I looked at Malaysia also, the government seems keen to have expats moving there and enjoying everything it has to offer, only one thing missing, beautiful filipina's to keep you company, as for corruption ????

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lot of beautiful ethnic Chinese there though Chris!  Love the food, great people, language barrier only a little bit higher than in PI, better infrastructure across the board.  I'd liken it to Singapore 25 years ago but rapidly catching up.  Downside: the corruption is there CD but it's less obvious but no less insidious, religious police in some states (depending on the local Sultan as to how strict they are), and don't be taken in by the photography of Georgetown proper.. Like so many once beautiful colonial cities it's pretty much the same same as many other Asian countries' former jewels; dirty and smells bad (I love the taste of durian but the the gag factor getting it the mouth is almost not worth it!).

Yep much closer to Perth and given all the above and more, well worth investigating.  Personally I love the place but not to live.  You may find it different  :cheersty:

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

I think you just have to man up and take it. Be sure to let us know how it goes. One of the nicest and extremely attractive women I have ever known was from Malaysia. Honest too, she found my mothers wallet with $1,400 in it and would not accept a reward for it's return until I pleaded with her to accept so my mother would not feel bad. She was in data entry in Malaysia but came to the US and was waiting tables.

• Like 5

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted
I looked at Malaysia also, the government seems keen to have expats moving there and enjoying everything it has to offer, only one thing missing, beautiful filipina's to keep you company, as for corruption ????

Yeah wasn't sure about the corruption bit myself but couldn't be as bad as the Phils could it ? I mean corruption

in the Philippines is rife from a local level right to the top. It's at the local level where it could most affect the expat.

I take your point about the beautiful filipinas ( Believe me I hadn't forgotten !) The Philippines is/are? 3 hours from KL

and costs about $250aud . Thailand is a 2 hour bus ride away from Penang.

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Lot of beautiful ethnic Chinese there though Chris!  Love the food, great people, language barrier only a little bit higher than in PI, better infrastructure across the board.  I'd liken it to Singapore 25 years ago but rapidly catching up.  Downside: the corruption is there CD but it's less obvious but no less insidious, religious police in some states (depending on the local Sultan as to how strict they are), and don't be taken in by the photography of Georgetown proper.. Like so many once beautiful colonial cities it's pretty much the same same as many other Asian countries' former jewels; dirty and smells bad (I love the taste of durian but the the gag factor getting it the mouth is almost not worth it!).

Yep much closer to Perth and given all the above and more, well worth investigating.  Personally I love the place but not to live.  You may find it different  :cheersty:

Well that was one of the things that put me off the place, religion. Never been involved with a chinese woman but from what I have learned they are not keen, them or there parents on older foreigners being involved with there families. Liked the food, the flight times, the people in general, just find I am more comfortable here, but to each his own.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you are willing to bring your prayer mat, convert to Islam, and support 4 wives then I am sure you will have a great time.  :mocking:  (religion, percent. Islam. 44.6%)

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

heritage buildings.

NOW HELP ME !!!!!!!!

post-686-0-43910700-1408678860_thumb.jpg  post-686-0-92236000-1408678879_thumb.jpg

Let's go Classic Dry!  You've got me seduced big time.....he, he.  

• Like 5

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah wasn't sure about the corruption bit myself but couldn't be as bad as the Phils could it ? I mean corruption

in the Philippines is rife from a local level right to the top. It's at the local level where it could most affect the expat.

I take your point about the beautiful filipinas ( Believe me I hadn't forgotten !) The Philippines is/are? 3 hours from KL

and costs about $250aud . Thailand is a 2 hour bus ride away from Penang.

I nearly moved to Bali, actually if it hadn't been for a mate I would be there now, corruption is rife in nearly all South East Asian countries from Indonesia to Vietnam, seems to be a common denominator with them all. I know there is corruption here, but to be honest I don't really see it, but then I don't go looking for it, CD  give Malaysia a whirl, nothing to loose, if you find you don't like it PI is just a short trip away, good luck with what ever you do.

Edited by frosty (chris)
  • Like 3

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Visited a few renovated shophouses when I was there. The government encourages and gives guidelines for their renovation.

Of course as a heritage site they don't have much choice. Can't knock em down.

Dirty and smells bad ??? My dear fellow that's atmosphere, ambiance   :no:

• Like 3