Marrying A Filipina In The Philippines.

ksome1
Posted
Posted

Hi, I am not sure if this topic has been discussed yet, I tied to search but could not find anything related to it. I am a US expat living and working in the Philippines. I have been here about 7 months now and as much as I tried to resist tying myself down I found an amazing woman that I would consider to Marry. My question is what better to do? wait and try to go through the paperwork hell for a US visa and marry back in the US, or just get married here? I have heard the stories, don't get married in the Philippines because there is no divorce.. I don't plan on divorcing, I am 50 raising a 7 year old girl on my own. We moved here 7 months ago and I have her currently in an international school. The person I met has a 3 year old son that is half American and took responsibility and sees him every weekend via court order and also took his last name. I may only be here two years, but can stay longer if things go well. I want to be able to take them to the US for the holidays after we marry, but I am sure this is a long process and just want to see what feedback I get from this forum?

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Hi, I am not sure if this topic has been discussed yet, I tied to search but could not find anything related to it. I am a US expat living and working in the Philippines. I have been here about 7 months now and as much as I tried to resist tying myself down I found an amazing woman that I would consider to Marry. My question is what better to do? wait and try to go through the paperwork hell for a US visa and marry back in the US, or just get married here? I have heard the stories, don't get married in the Philippines because there is no divorce.. I don't plan on divorcing, I am 50 raising a 7 year old girl on my own. We moved here 7 months ago and I have her currently in an international school. The person I met has a 3 year old son that is half American and took responsibility and sees him every weekend via court order and also took his last name. I may only be here two years, but can stay longer if things go well. I want to be able to take them to the US for the holidays after we marry, but I am sure this is a long process and just want to see what feedback I get from this forum?

Thank you in advance.

You have been here 7 months and ready to tie the knot!

Slow down, some deep breaths, think for a bit. I am sure this lady is all you say how ever no point in rushing anything.

Off the top of my head can think of quite a few whom have married here after a relatively short period and regretted there after.

Not trying sound overly negative how ever my take is do nothing at this stage of your relationship.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

As above, long engagement is a good thing.

Now on to the important part! You don't have to get married in the US. Pick another country in SE Asia.

ksome1
Posted
Posted

Thank you for your concern RBM, however that was not my question. I have lived all over the world and managed to stay single. My question was IF I decide to marry here in the Philippines, is there any dis advantages or concerns I should consider?

• Like 1

ksome1
Posted
Posted

Thank you, haha why is everyone concerned on how fast I marry? I am 50, divorced for 5 years, have and am raising a child and lived around the world.. I don't make rash decisions. in 7 months you meet a lot of people here. Just happens that one I seem to like. I just wanted some feedback on and if I marry what is the best country to do so? 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

You can get married anywhere you like, there will be more BS doing it in the Philippines. The US is tough to get a visa for. Asian countries are alot easier. Wherever you marry you could always get a divorce in the US, your ex would be able to re-marry after she gets a Philippine courts recognition of the US divorce decree. Good luck.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

The only disadvantage to marrying her prior to going to the US is the drawn out Spouse Visa process. It can take typically 12 months or more and if you somehow get denied, you will have to make some choices. For you, you could always return to the US and divorce her from there. I also wonder if the boy's father has any legal say in her leaving country?

If you want to take her on vacation to the US it is not completely impossible. From my observations, it looks like the Tourist Visa approval rate is on par with the Embassy statistics (80%). The hardest part is her being able to impart why she WILL return to the Philippines after the trip. Does she have a job? It would also help that if her son has a US Passport. 

You did not state that she has had an annulment or not. I am not sure how she could get a court order for support without being married. I would also research on whether she is really single or not (go to the NSO and get a Certificate of No Marriage = CENOMAR http://nso.citizenservices.com.ph/cenomar). You do not want to get caught up in some drama should she still be married and the estranged father wants to file charges of adultery for her (she can end up in jail on this charge). 

• Like 2

pokermike
Posted
Posted

Hello forum members i am visiting my wife right now. They have fianlly finished our paperwork but want her to bring a copy of my last three years tax returns. it seems they are doing an audit on me , even IRS accepts my forms. I have made the same amount for the last 3 years $197,000. I thought making good money would make it easier but i think its made it worse. We applied for the marraige visa. our marraige  was November 29,2012 in Manila. I filed all the needed paperwork and our filing date was logged as December 7,2012. So we have been waiting for her interview for 20 months now. Much better go finace visa and get married in the US much faster.

I dont know how you are going to get the kid over , it sounds like you are facing a huge obstacle. Get your NBI check first to see if she is divorced, if not that takes forever and about $5,000. If she is married she can not go to the US with you for any reason , it will not be approved. Better to marry her in US and then submit forms to bring child once you have an official adoption.     later Poker Mike

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Get your NBI check first to see if she is divorced

The CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage) is issued by the NSO.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

At the end of the day, you basically have no choice but to marry her in the Philippines since that will be your home for the next 2 yrs minimum. Mike's advice is certainly one you should take initially (NBI and CENOMAR). That lays the ground work to proceed with the marriage.  Also if you were to take her to the US on a tourist visa, you will need to prove you have an established domicile there.

Keep in mind that, while you can file for a K-1, whereas you fill out the I-129, etc and mail that paperwork to a contact in the US to file on US soil (required by the USCIS), once she is approved to travel to the US on a K-1 and you go back to the US, you need to stay there because you then have to file right away for a temp green card. She cannot leave the US at that point for any extended period of time to go back to the Philippines. She would also at that point have a problem getting a tourist visa down the road if she did happen to go back.

Good for you meeting your special someone-that's terrific!. I hope it all goes better than expected-and with a Filipina, it usually does.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 1