Boots On The Ground Or Electronic Surveillance Part 2-The Pitfalls

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think in the part 1 thread I posted it was a clear choice that "Boots on the Ground" clearly is the best, but not only, choice.

We touched on some pitfalls of both methods but now I would like to get deep. I would like to hear more reasons why and your personal experiences both good and bad so that I and others can see the pitfalls of both methods very clearly.

With that objective in mind here are some observations and questions.

Online does have some benefits but they are so few in comparison to boots on the ground real life experience. That being said one can use it to start to make friends and connections. Give people over there a preview into who you are and lay the ground work for boots on the ground.

Does that mean you won't marry a girl you meet online? Nope. Happened to me. OK I didn't just meet her online. My dad was living here in Mexico for a few years and introduced me to my wife. We emailed, chatted online, video chatted, exchanged pics (even before Facebook was popular, wow I am so old! LOL) I visited and asked her out after meeting her mom, she visited Canada (where I lived at the time) and met my family, my friends (mostly American) came to visit her, then I finally decided to move there.

No illusions, it wasn't a perfect marriage but I loved her more than life itself and she was a good wife (not perfect but very good). I lost her. I thought I would never want another but here I am considering it after another 23 year old Mexican girl and I had a brief relationship, in which I got hurt deeply because she was too immature and unfortunately too influenced by western standards for things to continue.

What else is good or maybe even needed from online relationships or connections.

Boots on the ground however takes some careful planning. Having a plan, saving of money, making connections prior to just showing up and then taking your time when you get there. I am in the planning, saving and connections phase.

I have an online job so if I can find a city with a good stable internet connection I could live there if I wanted and I know people who do that. However I have a well established life here in Mexico and know my way around the culture, language etc. So I am not sure what to plan, go there for a few months and live and work, go there and just live and see and if I find someone fine and if not OK too.

Living there would allow me to make many connections and meet people the way I prefer and think is best. But it is a whole new experience from Mexico, despite the many similarities.

Bottom line is what are the pitfalls to look out for either way? The good, bad and ugly? Give me your thoughts.

WOW! That got long and out of hand fast! OK the rest is up to you guys and gals.

Edited by El Negrito

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

A word of warning:

The Philippines has lousy Internet connectivity. A very old friend of mine runs a business making computer based systems and training materials for the maritime and offshore businesses in Subic Bay. Obviously he is on the very best "deal" available from Subictel. It's lousy; so lousy that he often loses Internet access entirely from his premises, where he employs sixty-odd developers. 

There is a story that a subsea cable was damaged and not repaired; could be true, but at all events be extremely careful about running a web-based business from the Philippines.

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
There is a story that a subsea cable was damaged and not repaired; could be true, but at all events be extremely careful about running a web-based business from the Philippines.

Thanks. I have another option and thought of living in Taiwan, where one company I worked for is, and then making trips to PI. As a single guy I am sure that would work out but married I am not so sure even though I could afford the flights. Could it be a bit of a beneficial twist on the 2 island rule?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

You could simply move to Taiwan and not bother with flying to the Philippines!

Taiwan is heaving with clever, well educated, lovely young women who are not at all averse to marrying foreigners!

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Taiwan is heaving with clever, well educated, lovely young women who are not at all averse to marrying foreigners!

I honestly did not know but something about the PI appeals to me now. I have taught English online to many Taiwanese girls but PI girls seem more desiring of a marriage. In Taiwan they seem a bit more westernized.

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Online is good if you cant spend a lot of time in the Philippines. The more time spent being here the better chance of finding the one. From what I have seen you will have no problems finding the right one for you.

As for living in the Philippines its not for every one. Here are the negatives I have noticed.       The constant heat and humidity.     Hit or miss internet, { this last 6 month stay I had good internet }.     Service on average is poor here.     Inferior products with little or no warranty.     Out of stock is a regular phrase here.    What they say is not always what they mean.

Now the positives,    There are a lot of beautiful friendly girls here and a lot would love to meet you. ( But you will still have to pick out the good from the bad ).       People here for the most part are easy going and friendly ( quite a few are very shy ).        My stress level is way down when I am here.         Beer is cheap.           My family takes very good care of me.         Maids are cheap.         They have some beautiful beaches here and waterfalls.             They are behind the times here and to me that is a good thing. Life can be very stressful in !st world countries these days.           Laws are not in forced that much here ( can be a good thing if you make a boo boo. }.         Did I mention there are a lot of friendly pretty girls here. ( that one alone can cross out many of the negatives. }     If you need an ego boost you have come to the right place.   Nothing in this world is perfect ( except maybe my wife, she might read this ) so you need to enjoy the good this place has to offer and disregard the bad as best you can.

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I've done both El, met my first girl online, and the one I recently split with was friends of the family (long story).  I've been half-heartedly on all the usual dating sites (FC, CB etc) in the last week or so but finding it a little too much hard work now.  Yep there's still an amazing amount of interest in me and I've been chatting to some ladies but I don't know, whilst it is very encouraging and flattering there seems to be a lot more pressure this time around.  I think this time around I'll just spend a month or so in Jan/Feb bumming around Dumaguete, Cebu and Bohol with no set time in any place and see what happens.  Some fellow ex-military (Aust, US and UK - the joys of UKUSA international training and serving with various nations throughout my career) friends of mine are planning a reunion in Bohol for 4-5 days over that period anyway.  

Methergate's quote in another thread, "Build it and they will come..." has really made me consider the "boots on ground" option a lot more seriously than in the past.  If I like Bohol, I might end up there for a while and see what happens; it's a beautiful place from what some of the guys on here have posted and the research I've done, and caters to all my water oriented hobbies very well.  I'm still only 45, so there's no hurry.  Either way, much like you, The Philippines has really gotten under my skin.  

• Like 4

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Help me I'm being seduced !!!

Did I mention there are a lot of friendly pretty girls here. ( that one alone can cross out many of the negatives. }      

Nope, nope, Back to the Philippines. You guys are making decisions very difficult for me.

• Like 2

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Service on average is poor here.     Inferior products with little or no warranty.     Out of stock is a regular phrase here.    What they say is not always what they mean.            People here for the most part are easy going and friendly.        My stress level is way down when I am here.         Beer is cheap.           My family takes very good care of me.         Maids are cheap.         They have some beautiful beaches here and waterfalls.             They are behind the times here and to me that is a good thing. Life can be very stressful in !st world countries these days.           Laws are not in forced that much here ( can be a good thing if you make a boo boo. }.

Sounds similar to Mexico but I am thinking they are a bit ahead of the times but not much.

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)
I'm still only 45, so there's no hurry.  Either way, much like you, The Philippines has really gotten under my skin.  

Yeah I just turned 44 so sounds like we are in the same boat mate. Cheers.  :cheersty:

Edited by El Negrito
  • Like 1