Best Island For Good Stable Land-Line Internet?

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Guys I am curious about getting a good stable land-line, not wireless or cell, internet connection there. Reason is in the future I may come for a short term stay and maybe even to live eventually. Are there any islands in PI that have Internet service providers that have good stable internet connections.

I understand no provider is perfect and they may go out at times but I would need something that doesn't go out more than once or twice every month or couple months. Is there such a thing in PI? If so what island, city and provider?

Americano
Posted
Posted

How do you expect us to answer this question when most of us have only lived on one or two islands?  Kinda of joking but its also true. Anyway, I have been living in Carcar City which is about 1 1/2 hours drive South of Cebu City where my Internet comes from for almost 4 years. I have a Globe landline connection which is about 3 mbps download speed. It very rarely goes off for more than a few minutes. The most has been about 3 days a few times when someone stole the Globe Internet cables on the poles and they had to be replaced. The 1st year I lived in downtown Cebu and had Sky Broadband, my service never when off then. If 3 mbps is fast enough for you then you should be fine here.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Try Forbes Park or maybe Urdaneta Village, Makati, Luzon.

And I am not even sure about those.

Joke only, lang!

Less "respectably" and less mega-expensively, I recollect that Angeles City has quite good speeds, largely because of the number  of ladies of negotiable affection who make some part of their living by taking their clothes off in front of a webcam who live there, but also because several companies have located IT operations there.

You make your living from the Internet - assume that your living will become correspondingly precarious!

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
How do you expect us to answer this question when most of us have only lived on one or two islands?  Kinda of joking but its also true

Well I personally expected you to island hop around 7000 times and then report back!  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:

All kidding aside actually your information is very helpful. 3mbps is enough, more would be nice but that is good. I am just hoping, through combined group comments, to get a general idea of the Internet situation. I had a feeling that places like Cebu, Davao, Manila, possibly Dumaguete and maybe others had good service.

Do you think it is possible to get a line over 3mbps or have heard of it being offered elsewhere? Thanks for the quick reply and good chuckle!  :mocking:

Try Forbes Park or maybe Urdaneta Village, Makati, Luzon.

And I am not even sure about those.

Will check those out too. Thanks!  :thumbsup:

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Joke only, lang!   Less "respectably" and less mega-expensively, I recollect that Angeles City has quite good speeds, largely because of the number  of ladies of negotiable affection who make some part of their living by taking their clothes off in front of a webcam who live there, but also because several companies have located IT operations there.   You make your living from the Internet - assume that your living will become correspondingly precarious!

Hahaha!  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:

You got me man! I make my living online but trust me no one would pay to see me!  :mocking: No I just teach English and do customer service.

robert k
Posted
Posted

The suggestions above that say go to where the IT companies set up is a good idea in my opinion, they go there because they find the speed and reliability acceptable, they would not go there and complain and wait a year for the provider to improve service while their business dies.

I have been on 4 islands, only on one, and in one place long enough, to have an opinion on the internet quality and that place is not for everyone, the carabao stare at you.

If you need reliable, I would not dismiss the broadband out of hand, like any other service in the Philippines, I was advised that you need a backup plan. The backup may be as simple as a pocket wifi that you could buy service for on short notice, if your landline internet goes down.

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
I was advised that you need a backup plan. The backup may be as simple as a pocket wifi that you could buy service for on short notice, if your landline internet goes down.

Another great suggestion. Even here in Mexico or back in the US and Canada, many who work online have a back up company. Thanks man!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I was advised that you need a backup plan. The backup may be as simple as a pocket wifi that you could buy service for on short notice, if your landline internet goes down.

Another great suggestion. Even here in Mexico or back in the US and Canada, many who work online have a back up company. Thanks man!

Seeing that you have Canadian roots, you might recognize my back up plan... Tim Hortons! Wifi with a double-double!

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted
Seeing that you have Canadian roots, you might recognize my back up plan... Tim Hortons! Wifi with a double-double!

Hahaha!! I left 8 years ago and there was no free WiFi then but I get you! Also don't forget the Everything Bagel toasted with cream cheese and butter and if you are really hungry the chili bread bowl!!! Wife was partial to the cappuccino but I am a double double man like you! Gotta love Timmy's!

PS A friend just sent me a HUGE tin of Timmy's fine grind. Had a few heavenly cups and saving the rest for special guests!  :thumbsup:

Malcolm Graham
Posted
Posted

PLDT now do Home fibre in certain locations upto 100Mbs.   Here's the webpage that shows where its provided and the cost.  

http://pldthome.com/fibr.   

• Like 1