Best Island For Good Stable Land-Line Internet?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Big E....... here is another one for ya to put in the idea hopper. It might also depend on your neighborhood. Here in a suburb of metro manila we wanted PLDT. Contacted the local provider and was told that their were no more lines available, so we settled for globe. Just a heads up..........................you are not moving to Kansas (bad play on words) :unsure:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I had a Globe wireless modem at my last house.  It was too far from the city for wired connection... yes, 16 kilometers is considered far here...  It was very unreliable.  When it worked the speed would fluctuate a lot also.  Some days I could stream Netflix, some days I could not even load a Facebook page.  But down the street a friend ran a net cafe on the same wireless modem setup I had. 

At my new place, in the the city (Iloilo - Panay island) I have wired DSL from Globe.  For the first few months it would drop off a lot.  After about 5 service tech visits one of them finally found something wrong in the wire and it works great now.  "something wrong in the wire" was the best answer I could get from his broken English and my nonexistent Ilongo. 

Most of my subdivision uses PLDT and says it is great - but when they came out to hook it up they said their wires don't go past the basketball court... about 100 meters from my house ha ha.

No matter where you go it seems to hit & miss.  But in the larger cities it seems to be the best chances... and... your mileage may vary...  :tiphat:

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

PLDT now do Home fibre in certain locations upto 100Mbs.   Here's the webpage that shows where its provided and the cost.  

http://pldthome.com/fibr.   

Thanks! Exactly what I am looking for! Actually the internet connection would dictate if and where I move.

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

Big E....... here is another one for ya to put in the idea hopper. It might also depend on your neighborhood. Here in a suburb of metro manila we wanted PLDT. Contacted the local provider and was told that their were no more lines available, so we settled for globe. Just a heads up..........................you are not moving to Kansas (bad play on words) :unsure:

I am accustomed to those kinds of dealings, here in Mexico the situation can be pretty much the same. Have lived here for 8 years and you either do your research ahead and move where what you want is or settle for whatever they have in an area if you don't research it. Thanks!

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

I had a Globe wireless modem at my last house.  It was too far from the city for wired connection... yes, 16 kilometers is considered far here...  It was very unreliable.  When it worked the speed would fluctuate a lot also.  Some days I could stream Netflix, some days I could not even load a Facebook page.  But down the street a friend ran a net cafe on the same wireless modem setup I had. 

At my new place, in the the city (Iloilo - Panay island) I have wired DSL from Globe.  For the first few months it would drop off a lot.  After about 5 service tech visits one of them finally found something wrong in the wire and it works great now.  "something wrong in the wire" was the best answer I could get from his broken English and my nonexistent Ilongo. 

Most of my subdivision uses PLDT and says it is great - but when they came out to hook it up they said their wires don't go past the basketball court... about 100 meters from my house ha ha.

No matter where you go it seems to hit & miss.  But in the larger cities it seems to be the best chances... and... your mileage may vary...  :tiphat:

All very familiar scenarios. So it sounds like I can get what I want if I move to the right area. Thanks guys. I am guessing that maybe the right area is more expensive for rent too right? On the Globe wireless thing I am wondering if that internet cafe had a way of eating all the bandwidth in the area and you suffered? I am not a tech though so who knows. LOL

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The good Internet is more available in the high rent districts.  If it is important to you then you have to first throw out everything you may have read on the 'living under $1,000 a month' thread.

You can get pretty dependable Internet in some areas of Cebu, Davao, Manila, and even Dumaguete.  Of course these are the high density areas where rents and property values are higher than the surrounding areas.

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)
You can get pretty dependable Internet in some areas of Cebu, Davao, Manila, and even Dumaguete.  Of course these are the high density areas where rents and property values are higher than the surrounding areas.

Thanks very much. Any ideas on rents for a studio in these areas?

Edited by El Negrito

jon1
Posted
Posted

In the Subic Freeport you can get the Fiber (10MB) or DSL (3MB). I have the DSL now for 3 years with only a few minor outages (usually caused by typhoon damage locally). There are small studio apartments in Cubi Point (Crowne Peak) for 5-6000p /mo. I think that most do not have a kitchenette in them so you would have to look around. Also, I know of another unit that has regular size condos going for 20K per month. 2-3 bedroom houses start at 25K/mo up to 45K/mo, depending on location and unit. The freeport is pretty wide spread so owning a vehicle is recommended for convenience.

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

In the Subic Freeport you can get the Fiber (10MB) or DSL (3MB). I have the DSL now for 3 years with only a few minor outages (usually caused by typhoon damage locally). There are small studio apartments in Cubi Point (Crowne Peak) for 5-6000p /mo. I think that most do not have a kitchenette in them so you would have to look around. Also, I know of another unit that has regular size condos going for 20K per month. 2-3 bedroom houses start at 25K/mo up to 45K/mo, depending on location and unit. The freeport is pretty wide spread so owning a vehicle is recommended for convenience.

Great info mate!

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I am only speculating, but I would surmise that you could get the good Internet service you want near IT park in Cebu.  Here is a link to a studio in that area and the rent is 25K a month on a one year lease.

http://homes.trovit.ph/index.php/cod.frame/url.http%253A%252F%252Fwww.sheryna.ph%252FCondo-Studio-at-Asia-Premier-Residences-IT-Park-For-Rent-Cebu-City-262202/id_ad.1a161p15cl82/what_d.it%20park%20cebu/type.2/origin.2/section.1/section_type.1/pop.1