Mail Forwarding Services - Latest And Greatest

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Over two years ago I asked about mail forwarding services from the U.S. and got some great feedback.  At that time, I signed up for the USA BOX free service but I never activated their pay services.  The reason was that I decided to use my sister's California address for my mailing address. 

Using my sister's address has not worked out too well so it is time to bite the bullet and use a pay service.  Before I make a final decision, I thought I would poll y'all and see what you like and dislike about your service.  I think it would be valuable to everyone to have an updated thread, as questions about services come up often.

If you could list the following, it would be great!

Name of service:

Address is in which state:

State income tax rate:

Base monthly service rate:

Inclusions in base rate:

Online viewing of envelopes:  (yes/no)

Cost to scan contents and post online:

Forwarding options:  (company names like DHL, FEDEX, etc)

Forwarding costs:

Overall pros:

Overall cons:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Name of service: Earth Class Mail
Address is in which state: Fl
State income tax rate: None
Base monthly service rate:$19.95
Inclusions in base rate: Not much
Online viewing of envelopes: yes, front and back.
Cost to scan contents and post online:$1.50 B/W, not sure about color maybe $2
Forwarding options: USPS or FedEx, FedEx Int'l
Forwarding costs: Varies on carrier/options
Overall pros: Customer service was very good in setting up but I haven't needed them for about a year. After almost 4 years the mail has tricked down to almost nothing, a good thing. Amazing the amount of junk mail in the US. One of the very bad things the Phils doesn't have. 
Overall cons: So far, only the costs. There are some storage charges after x amount of days but no reason to pay those. Recycle!

Adding: The cost of the street address is extra, runs from $14.95 to $29.95 for more expensive cities like NY, LA. PO Boxes are $2.95 per month. The US street address is a necessity (imo).

There are cheaper ones but customer service and reliability was important in the beginning so I went with them. Not so important anymore.

You'll probably go with something cheaper but if you decide on this one I'll do a referral and you get 1 month free, $15 credit to me.

• Like 2

Alby
Posted
Posted

Good idea!

I don't have or want anybody in the US to do it for me hence I opted for a mail forwarding company. After some research I found a few cheap ones and good reviewed service. One of them was USA Box above and signed up for the free service they were having. However, I was coerced to upgrade coz they first allowed me to discard mail but then removed that option from me and asked me to sign up for the premium $10 USD service and I did.

Later I found out they charge $10 USD for any scanning even if it's just one page. No check depositing for you too. So, I cancelled them and went with the below:

Name of service: USMailGlobal.com

Address is in which state: Texas

State income tax rate: No

Base monthly service rate: $15

Inclusions in base rate: online view

Online viewing of envelopes: (yes/no) Yes

Cost to scan contents and post online: I think it's 3.50 first page then 0.5 the rest

Forwarding options: (company names like DHL, FEDEX, etc) haven't tried it

Forwarding costs: no idea

Overall pros: usual mail online view, check deposit, scanning, shopping, no tax state

Overall cons: nothing yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

Name: Mailboxes USA

State: FL

State Income tax: none

Base Rate: $11.00 per month (based on annual payment) for medium sized box

Inclusions: not sure what you mean - is just place to use for mail delivery n maintain res address

Online view of envelopes: yes

Cost to scan: 1st page $1.50 and $0.50 there after (1st page includes back if applicable); PDF format

Forwarding Options: USPS, DHL, FedEx, UPS

Forwarding Cost: depends on weight, delivery options, destination and service; $1.00 add on by them

Pros: good and prompt service, will hold mail in separate large envelope if box gets full at no extra charge

Cons: none

I've been using same location for over 10 years and am friends with the owner so he usually doesn't charge me to scan n send anything. But then again I usually buy him lunch & few beers whenever I'm in town, so it all works out in the end. Any obvious junk mail he tosses into the recycling bin too. And like MikeB, I don't get very much mail anymore, maybe 2-3 pieces per month as I get most everything online/sent via email.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Alby, how does check deposit work?  For instance, if the IRS sends you a refund check, they can deposit it??

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Name of service:  Traveling Mailbox

Address is in which state:   I use Dallas, Texas (which is here I am from - a determining factor).  They have numerous options

State income tax rate:  zero

Base monthly service rate:  $15

Inclusions in base rate:  It has changed since I signed up. They now say 35 scan pages a month (I get 75), 40 incoming envelopes (I get 55). Email notification of new mail, and scanned mail. Up to 3 recipients. (BTW envelope scans do not count towards monthly page scan totals).  Unlimited shredding. You can have the page scans sent automatically to your Evernote account.

Online viewing of envelopes:  (yes/no)  yes

Cost to scan contents and post online:  first 75 pages free (viewable or downloadable as pdf files)

Forwarding options:  (company names like DHL, FEDEX, etc)  Letter mail goes USPS, I have not used them for packages, so not sure.  But packages have to be sent to a North Carolina address.

Forwarding costs:  Actual postage cost plus $2.00

Overall pros: Easy to use, great interface online.  Complete control on what is forwarded and when, they store it, shred it, scan it, whatever you need.  Check deposits are easy but cost $4.95 each - I used it once and was very easy.  Fast & efficient customer service (during US business hours...)

Overall cons:  I am cheap and don't like paying $15 a month.  Customer service is only open US business hours. No real cons...

Here is what Traveling Mailbox says about check deposits:

2. Complete a Check Deposit Request by email.

Simply send an email to Support@TravelingMailbox.com with the following information:

• Your Online Mailbox Number
  • The date in which the envelope and check(s) were scanned in.
  • Provide the number of checks to be deposited and the total amount.
  • Provide your Bank Account Information: The name of your bank, your bank account number, your bank account routing number, and the name of the owner listed on the bank account.
  • Provide the address for the check(s) to be mailed to and what level of service. Levels of services include: USPS Priority Mail, USPS Express Mail, UPS Ground, UPS Next Day Air or UPS 2nd Day Air.
  • Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

OMW, Since I'm online and have had it done many times in the past I'll answer that. Anyone can deposit checks for you, they don't require a signature, only thing a depositor needs obviously is your bank name and account number. Some banks require "For Deposit Only" to be written or stamped on the back of the check (which is a good idea to do anyhow in case the check gets lost/misplaced or stolen).

Many banks now offer scanned via phone check deposits too, but be careful with that as the person who does that may also have full access to your account. Check with your bank about that and if there's any way to restrict access.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Many banks now offer scanned via phone check deposits too, but be careful with that as the person who does that may also have full access to your account. Check with your bank about that and if there's any way to restrict access.

Yes, I got the Chase bank android app but they have a limit on the check amount.  I'm not sure what the limit is but my first check was rejected for being too much.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I think I am not going to be able to use USA Box because they are not oriented to scanning contents.  It shows in the pricing.  My sister scans quite a few things for me just so I can have a record.

Have any of you opened an account after you arrived in the Philippines?  If so, did you get the USPS form 1583 notarized in the Philippines and it was accepted?

I had my USA Box form 1583 signed at a post office in the US and I am wondering how I will accomplish a new form 1583 while here in PH.

robert k
Posted
Posted

If I recall correctly you can get legal US notary at the embassy?

• Like 1