Arriving Cebu & Duma In 3 Weeks

MJFrost
Posted
Posted

Hello all -

I enjoyed my first trip last November so much I'm coming back this October to scout possible places to live. At first just looking for a home base from which to explore.

I'd love to hear from other travelers or established expats who would enjoy sharing experiences, advice, wrong turns, right turns, etc.

Anybody play bluegrass?

Cheers - Mike

robert k
Posted
Posted

I didn't see you last November! Where were you hiding? Just kidding, I was in the hotel Palwa In Dumaguete last November when not traipsing all over. Welcome. :thumbsup:

I too am looking for a place to settle.

MJFrost
Posted
Posted

From reading this and other forums I have the feeling that Cebu maybe bigger than what I want, but I've gotten good impressions about Dumaguete and Cagayan de Oro. I'd like to find a town large enough to have a university but small enough to still be friendly and not mobbed. Your suggestions welcome.

Mike

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Check out Bacolod.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

MJ (Mike) Cebu city isn't just one homogenous whole, it's a metro area, parts of which have become cities in their own right. I would not be too quick to write off the whole area because it's handy to be on the same island with the second biggest market, international airport,  more and I suspect cheaper flights to the largest market (Manila) should you need to go there, US Embassy, hospital and so forth. I like Dumaguete but for other practical reasons, I am going to look around a little more. :thumbsup:

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

I myself have dismissed Manila, Cebu and Dumaguette after busting them.

The first two were just too noisy, crowded, polluted and expensive for no good reason. The last one was just not worth it.

I'd suggest checking outside Cebu areas.

I myself, would give Bacolod a visit before I say anything about it. Steve would kill me if I don't :)

Now, Davao is my place!

- no need to tell taxis to run the meter. It's a given!

- away from most typhoons

- has an international airport

- many malls and coffee shops

- 10 pesos away for visa renewals :)

- cheap!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

lara2014
Posted
Posted

Enjoy your stay! and dont forget to visit my city Cagayan de Oro. :)

MJFrost
Posted
Posted

Thank all.

Any suggestions for decent, inexpensive Hotel in Cebu? Your favorite bars and restaurants?

How does CDO compare with Dumaguete?

Mike

MJFrost
Posted
Posted

I didn't see you last November! Where were you hiding? Just kidding, I was in the hotel Palwa In Dumaguete last November when not traipsing all over. Welcome. :thumbsup:

I too am looking for a place to settle.

Last November I visited Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Bali and the Phils (hiding in Sabang Beach) :-)

Like the boll weevil song, lookin' for a home.

kaengphetpetyang
Posted
Posted

How does CDO compare with Dumaguete?

Mike

It is 4 times bigger and unlike Dumaguete, has meter taxis. Dumaguete barely counts as a city really, it is so small. Just like Cebu and Bacolod, in CDO you can't swim in the sea until you get about 40-50km away from town. The water if far too dirty. A problem Dumaguete does not have - the water gets bearable around there by only 10-12km away from center. Small can be beautiful. Dumaguete is ok specially its surrounds, but I have never much liked it as a town by itself. CDO is just a totally different scale. Nightlife is totally out of Dumaguete's class - it has proper nightclubs. Not only is the city itself much bigger but there are also large towns and cities quite close by. THat part of Mindanao is much more desnely populated than Negros Oriental. Iligan, only an hour away by bus, might be smaller than CDO is but it is is more than double Dumaguete's size - well over 300,000. Even Valencia, Bukidnon, two hours away from CDO by bus, is much larger than small-potatoes Dumaguete.