Weather And Crime

philili
Posted
Posted

Hi everyone,

so it looks like I might be moving to the Philippines in a few months. Not entirely sure where exactly I will be based, so I am afraid I can't specify a city or region.

Since I found out I might be headed there, I have been researching the Philippines a little bit, and two things that worry me a tiny bit have come up.

The first is the weather, or rather natural disasters. I know about Haiyan, of course, but now I have read somewhere that, on average, the Philippines are hit by some sort of rough weather more than ten times a year (I forgot the exact number). So my first question would be, how bad is the weather and how much do floods, typhoons, earthquakes and so on impact your quality of life?

Secondly, while I was browsing various expats' blogs trying to find an answer to my first question, I came across the issue of crime. I am starting to get the impression that, in the Philippines, incidents of people breaking into an expat's home and brutally murdering him are almost common. So I'd like to know your thoughts on that.

Cheers guys.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well as with so many things you only hear the worst of anything and there's all sorts of factors involved:  Location, demographics, security etc.  Here's a couple of links on the crime, no they don't specify the origins of the victims but they are good indicators of comparative crime rates.  The second one is overall crime, the first intentional homicide.  The first is based on 2002 figures so is a little out of date but it does still show world-wide trends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Total-crimes-per-1000#country

Interestingly, I read somewhere that the number of expats living permanently in the Philippines has actually dropped over the last decade or so.  It has a lot to do with the US Military no longer having a permanent presence there so there's few US citizens staying for the long haul as a result.  I'll track it down later, it makes for an interesting read. 

As for the weather, if you can predict that you're a better man than most meteorologists!  Personally I'd take the same precautions as I did when living in Darwin for 5 years, or anywhere in Northern Australia for that matter,  i.e.  a well stocked cyclone kit.   

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 4

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Just to add, try not to piss any of the locals off, if you have any problems, just smile, say sorry and walk away.

• Like 3

philosophery
Posted
Posted

I am under the impression that there is less crime in Cebu (compared to Manila) and much less typhoon activity. Am I mistaken?

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Having only been to Australia once, and all I remember is getting to the first bar off our ship (damn u aussies know how to show a yank Marine a good time) I wish I could compare it to places you are familiar with. If you were from the states I would say ---Earthquakes and wild fires in California. Tornados and ice storms in the plain states. Blizzards, snowfall and then killer humidity in the summer on the east coast. Mosquitos that are big enough to turn over your dog tags to check your blood type before biting you up in the great lake states.

About safety? There are a lot of topics about that on the forum already. Take proper precautions, don't do stupid stuff and you will be fine. I feel as safe here as any place I have been in the world.

Brother, there are good points and bad points about everywhere in the world. It just all depends on your level of trade off.

Welcome to the forum :cheersty:

Pretty much sums it up :)  I feel safe in Kings Cross, but as ex-navy it was my second home, I know what to look out for.  Same goes for similar areas anywhere in the world.  Block M in Jakarta, the area around Orchid Towers in Singapore.  Scott can probably relate to this when I say it's all about situational awareness.   

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I am under the impression that there is less crime in Cebu (compared to Manila) and much less typhoon activity. Am I mistaken?

Cebu Island is protected so its true any typhoon impact would be weaker. The Island has been somewhat lucky the past 25 years as well. But weather is gonna do what its gonna do.

No one knows the true crime rate in Philippines. Anything put out by the government or police is suspect. Like the others said if you keep a low profile use common sense your chances of becoming a victim are lower. Is Cebu safer than Manila more than likely but there is no way to know for sure.

The quality of life is much better in Cebu but that's just my opinion.

Good luck in your new adventure. Philippines has issues but is still a wonderful place the vast majority of Filipinos are amazing good people.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I fully concur with others regarding crime - keep your head and all should be good.

As for weather?  The further south you go, the less chance of typhoons you will find.  

Of course, sooner or later you will find yourself at the South Pole!

:mocking:

• Like 1