Weather And Crime

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Don't worry about the crime. It only happens once and usually doesn't hurt for long.

It is the ants and mosquitoes that get you everyday and hurts for days. I must have 15 bites right now, mostly ants.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Here's a couple of things consider about weather also. I seem to remember something about the typhoon belt moving south a bit. Be that as it may, I have live in Manila 2 typhoon seasons now. 1st year nothing, 2nd year 1 direct hit (eye about 10 miles south) and another went to the north. The thing about Manila is that being the center of the country our power was only out for about 3 days, internet back up in 5, and most of the clean up was done in a week. Unlike the out lying areas it seems just to take longer.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Be very cautious travelling during possible typhoons...

When I was in Cebu a few years back, a ferry left port despite typhoon warnings and something like 700+ people drowned. Ferry accidents are not unique to inclement weather. There are numerous significant ferry disasters that occur in the Philippines. Collisions with other ships are not infrequent. Lopsided car and bus loading have caused ferries to capsize.

Most people in the Philippines do not know how to swim. Safety provisions (life vests, rafts) on the boats are scarce.

I'm looking at moving to Lipa City, south of Manila. One of several reasons I chose this city is that it's high elevation prevents substantial flooding and it is shielded by a mountain range that lessens the impact of storms.

I stayed in a city north of Cebu City for nearly three years and always felt safe, though I must admit it was startling to see store security guards carrying shotguns the first few times. But that made me feel more safe if anything. When I travelled to Cebu City, I made sure any valuables I had were well secured. Better not to carry any at all beyond what you need. Lots of career pick-pockets. I never had run-ins with them, but I guess some of them are pretty smooth and you won't even notice them.

Everyone knew everyone in my barangay and I trusted my immediate neighbors to keep an eye out for me. I left my house wide open when I was around, though I sometimes locked my bedroom door if I wasn't in the house. I was located outside of town in a fairly rural area, though, and probably wouldn't have the same trust inside the city.

• Like 1

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

Here's a couple of things consider about weather also. I seem to remember something about the typhoon belt moving south a bit. Be that as it may, I have live in Manila 2 typhoon seasons now. 1st year nothing, 2nd year 1 direct hit (eye about 10 miles south) and another went to the north. The thing about Manila is that being the center of the country our power was only out for about 3 days, internet back up in 5, and most of the clean up was done in a week. Unlike the out lying areas it seems just to take longer.

One of my Filipino friends lives outside of Cebu City and a big typhoon came through last year. His Globe Internet was out for weeks.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Most people in the Philippines do not know how to swim. Safety provisions (life vests, rafts) on the boats are scarce.

Cebu Pacific domestic is the only airline that I know of to announce "Stealing the life vest under the seats is a criminal offence." It must have happened more than once.

• Like 3

jpbago
Posted
Posted

5.5 earthquake near Panay at 4:05 PM. It was felt in Bacolod and Cebu.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I am starting to get the impression that, in the Philippines, incidents of people breaking into an expat's home and brutally murdering him are almost common.

It's true!  I was talking to a friend on the phone and wouldn't you know it?  Over a 20 minute conversation, somebody broke in to his apartment and murdered him 3 times!!!   :mocking:   Seriously, I think a lot of the issue as presented is that we tend to dwell on the bad - and this just makes things look more dangerous than they are.  I ran across this repeatedly during my military career and again during my travels after.  Yes, there is more than a grain of truth in the stories but don't forget - this may be 10 people talking about a couple incidents in an area where there are thousands of people living!  The trick is to learn how to not stick out and how to protect yourself from being a target of theft or injury.  And that part is easy!  Travel in groups, keep your money in different locations on your person and leave as much as you can in some other safe place.  And don't talk down to or insult the locals!

• Like 1