You Think That This Could Never Happen To You But

RBM
Posted
Posted

It's scary to think about just how exposed we are to having our lives turned upside down when we are in a foreign country.

Honestly we can all get carried away here. By far the large majority of expats here with even a limited amount of common sense will not experience any difficulty at all.

Further we do not know the full situation, after all Philippine journalists are hardy noted for reliable reporting. If the unfortunate accused in any way caused a loss of face this could be enough to start the fire. These issues must be settled before law enforcements become involved.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

These articles were not written by Philippine journalists, the news column is from a Seattle TV affiliate and the others were (poorly) written by his supporters. I agree there's more to this, the BI “raid” is possible but not likely. These extortions are almost always negotiated far down, there is no plausible reason why he didn't pay her off. Based on the article, this guy made some very questionable judgments - especially given the fact that he has 2 small children.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I question how it came to be that the acused allowed the woman to abuse his children in the first place? That is the failure point. I think the rest just naturally follows. Report the woman for child abuse, counter accusation is sure to follow. If you are a foreigner, whose accusation do you think will be followed up on? 

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I question how it came to be that the acused allowed the woman to abuse his children in the first place?

According to the "Case Summary" page on the support web site, the abuse of his children happened during the raid by plain clothed officers (not the BI raid). She and the companion were yelling at the children and that traumatized them. What were these officers doing while she was abusing the children? Some of this doesn't make much sense.

If you are a foreigner, whose accusation do you think will be followed up on? 

Well, they didn't drop the child abuse case against her, did they?

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

They do mention the guy being married to another Filipina. Yet now he was shacked up with another woman and has children with her? Now that fact might be used against the "His word vs. the woman accuser". After all, why would an upstanding Filipina woman file false rape charges against an innocent upstanding god fearing man?  His moral character may be the factor in part of this.

Just a thought to ponder. Seems more to this whole thing than we are hearing about. We need to always remember the saving face thing. When on their turf it is their rules. Even if their own rules and laws are not followed. As much as it pains us, always leave a Filipino a way out. Let them have their face.

What really sucks about all this is the true victims of sexual assault. They are the ones that get screwed by the system and many are to afraid to go to the police about it.

robert k
Posted
Posted

But they did drop the theft charges which would probably be easier to prove.

I didn't follow the link before and much becomes clear now. Scott was interfering in another expats marital problems. The other expat got kicked out of his home because the wife wanted him to suffer and Scott interfered with that program and probably became the primary target through some insane anger transference. 

Frankly, this one can NOT happen to me. I will not get involved in someone elses marital problems. If they are a really good friend and they need a little cash for rent in a pension house, fine but I'm not going to invite trouble to follow me home. My best friend of 15 years from highschool had a crazy girlfriend who spread untrue gossip about me and others all over town and I told him he needs to dump her and I quit taking his calls. Five years later, I encountered my friend, who had been my best friend, and he told me he had dumped that B!^@!! Just say no to drama. :tiphat:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Mr Berger and Ms Esdrelon were also minding their own business, not involved in anyone else's problems.....

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

And Mr. Berger is in prison where?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

And Mr. Berger is in prison where?

Well, obviously, they are not in prison. The only reason that they are not in prison is that they had a genuinely cast iron alibi. They had a narrow escape from a gross injustice.

Bella Ruby Santos has spent 18 months in jail for the crimes of having a foreign boyfriend and owning a 4x4.

The anti foreigner hysteria surrounding the Ellah Joy Pique case should be a warning to us all.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

Wasn't obvious to someone.

I was merely stating that that particular instance was not going to happen to me and I went to some length to explain why.

Edited by robert k