You Think That This Could Never Happen To You But

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

The very obvious problem of being shacked up with Filipina "B" when still married to Filipina "A" is that your right to live in the country depends on "A" and not on "B" (this happened to a friend of mine!)

It's what I would term a high risk strategy...

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Wasn't obvious to someone.

I was merely stating that that particular instance was not going to happen to me and I went to some length to explain why.

I certainly meant no offense to you. My point was about the judicial system. A simple case can take years to be heard, if ever. Anyone can file a case against you and put you in jail for a very long time. In this case the offense is non-bailable, but he can still get bail if the judge feels the case is weak. The rape charge was filed in mid-2010 and there has yet to be a bail hearing. So he sits. And it's not just foreigners, the former president of the country has been detained since 2011 on various non-bailable plunder and fraud charges. 5 separate cases were filed, 4 of the 5 were dismissed by the Office of the Ombudsman for "utter lack of merit". But the administration says they can refile the charges because she was never formally arraigned. So it doesn't really matter if you're guilty or not guilty under the law, if you can be held indefinitely awaiting judicial action it amounts to a life sentence. Filipinos know this, foreigners sometimes have to learn the hard way.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

The very obvious problem of being shacked up with Filipina "B" when still married to Filipina "A" is that your right to live in the country depends on "A" and not on "B" (this happened to a friend of mine!)

Sometimes, it depends on foreigner "B". A Brit was living here without doing the visa renewals. He invited his friend, foreigner "B" to visit. "B" informed the BI of "A" being here illegally so BI kicked him out. "B" got the wife, the house and the car from his friend, "A". ALL free. And some say that the first year start up costs are high! Not for him.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Sometimes, it depends on foreigner "B". A Brit was living here without doing the visa renewals. He invited his friend, foreigner "B" to visit. "B" informed the BI of "A" being here illegally so BI kicked him out. "B" got the wife, the house and the car from his friend, "A". ALL free. And some say that the first year start up costs are high! Not for him.

Good God!

One must hope that what goes around, comes around, in that case.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Brit A should have kept up his visa. One can not maintain an unassailable position in life but you need to do the things you can to keep from being an easy target. Adultery is a serious crime. I am sure there is a policeman who needs to supplement his income. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
What really sucks about all this is the true victims of sexual assault. They are the ones that get screwed by the system and many are to afraid to go to the police about it.

You have a wonderful way with words.  :)  Yes I agree there must be many unreported crimes because of lack of trust in the system and I don't think its just a Philippines thing.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

What really sucks about all this is the true victims of sexual assault. They are the ones that get screwed by the system and many are to afraid to go to the police about it.

You have a wonderful way with words.  :)  Yes I agree there must be many unreported crimes because of lack of trust in the system and I don't think its just a Philippines thing.

But it is very common in the Philippines. a niece of mine was seized and thrown into a van by two men, raped and thrown into a paddy field. This was in Bataan, not the back of Beyond. She identified the rapists, and went to the police. They were arrested but bailed. Case "pending" - that was two years ago.

Her grandmother had the right idea and tried to contact the local NPA but they have all moved to Mindanao.

Why would you trust the system?

Edited by Methersgate

• 3 weeks later...
mjb123
Posted
Posted (edited)

I  can NOT understand this  story ?????? maybe im naive ....The woman who cried rape !!!  pay her off !!  In the PI  money talks at every, every level....this story is scary  very scary !!! love the place or not...foreigners in general  do NOT understand the fact of deep resentment that is under the surface of the vast majority of Filipinos !! 

I read this story , it has sent shivers through me....Im  genuinely wanting  to help here.  the story  just doesnt  add up...3.5 years  and  no money could have paid her  off ???  surely not..there must be another twist to this story....maybe im needed to negotiate  a release !!  I would be prepared to do that  . if it would help !!!  

Edited by MikeB
Removed comment

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I  can NOT understand this  story ?????? maybe im naive ....The woman who cried rape !!!  pay her off !!  In the PI  money talks at every, every level....this story is scary  very scary !!! love the place or not...foreigners in general  do NOT understand the fact of deep resentment that is under the surface of the vast majority of Filipinos !! 

I read this story , it has sent shivers through me....Im  genuinely wanting  to help here.  the story  just doesnt  add up...3.5 years  and  no money could have paid her  off ???  surely not..there must be another twist to this story....maybe im needed to negotiate  a release !!  I would be prepared to do that  . if it would help !!!  

Please read this Announcement from the owner - http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/20365-read-or-risk-being-banned/

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
They were arrested but bailed. Case "pending" - that was two years ago

Meth..the above reason is most likely why the paper (when it reports them) regularly print stories about revenge killings. They use a specific name for it, but it slips my mind. The vic is usually found bound, gagged wit multiple stab wounds.