Mongolian Bbqs?

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

During my stay on Cebu Island, I found a Mongolian BBQ restaurant at Ayala Mall that I highly recommend. It costs around $5 (at back in 2010...) and had many veggies, meats, spices, and sauces. Sorry, I do not remember the name, but it was on top floor in the new addition restaurant area.

Does anyone know of any similar Mongolian BBQs in or around (southern) Manila? Or better yet, nearer Lipa City?

Any information greatly appreciated! I would eat at this type of restaurant two or three times a week. Yum!

• Like 1

oysterporridge
Posted
Posted

the 'Mongolian' BBQ's are nothing, at all, to do with Mongolia or Mongolian cuisine/food. The idea of it and the name was dreamt up about 40 years ago by a Chinese restauranteur in Taiwan looking to make money by selling food under a catchy English name. Rather like the British 'Ploughman's Lunch'. Although it sounds quite traditional, the Ploughman's Lunch meal did not exist, and and its name was unknown before the 1960s when the Cheese Marketing board started to promote it.

not only is Mongolian Barbecue not anything to do with Mongolia, it doesn't have much to do with most people's idea of a barbecue either.

I have only ever seen the Mongolian Barbecue sign which always makes me smile as it has got about as much to do with Mongolia as Santa Claus has with Eid al-Adah, intermittently and rarely in the Philippines. I have not seen Mongolian Barbecue anywhere else although as far as I understand it, this type of food is most popular and sells best in Taiwan, Korea, and Japan.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

We've been to private parties in Manila where they do the Mongolian BBQ set up in the yard.  Basically, they set up tables in a U shape, with the servers in the middle.  On three sides, they have cooking stations where you select your meat, your sauce and your garnishings, then the servers cook them really fast.

I am surprised with the 40-year reference though.  My wife has early childhood memories of such parties dating back to the 60's.

oysterporridge
Posted
Posted

the more affluent folks, probably got the idea from their trips to Boracay, which is the only place where I can personally remember seeing the 'Mongolian Barbecue' sign in the Philippines.

just out of interest has anybody sighted any non-Mongolian 'Mongolian Barbecue' signs, in the United States?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
the more affluent folks, probably got the idea from their trips to Boracay, which is the only place where I can personally remember seeing the 'Mongolian Barbecue' sign in the Philippines.

Not as far as I know.  In the 1960s, Boracay was not yet popular among Filipinos.

Maybe some Manila family got the inspiration from their travels back then, tried it in Manila, and a few others followed over time.  I would not say it is a popular party theme in Manila, but like I said, we have been to some.

oysterporridge
Posted
Posted

there is a Mongolian Barbecue Wikipedia article I know they are not an always totally reputable source but in it it confirms my existing impression that the Mongolian Barbecue idea emerged from a Chinese food retail mind that wanted to sell food, to make money, probably in Taiwan and no earlier than the late 1960s.

they tried but the idea of Mongolian Barbecue as brand never really took off like Mcdonalds or even Jollibee did. I have never heard of anybody claiming that they ever saw such a sign as Mongolian Barbecue, in New York, London, Paris, or Sydney. I certainly can't remember seeing one anywhere else apart from the Philippines.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I have never heard of anybody claiming that they ever saw such a sign as Mongolian Barbecue, in New York, London, Paris, or Sydney. I certainly can't remember seeing one anywhere else apart from the Philippines.

One block from where I used to live here in Australia, Taringa Brisbane. https://plus.google.com/106503703209481863558/about?gl=au&hl=en

post-1-0-24670700-1412560532_thumb.jpg

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are 5 in Southern Ontario, Canada. I have been to the one in London.There is a circular flat cooking grill in the center with seats in a circle around it. You place your order and they cook it in front of you. Not much different from Teriyaki Joe's in any food court.

http://mongoliangrill.ca/location.html

Edited by jpbago

oysterporridge
Posted
Posted

looking around a bit more and it seems exactly the same kind of offering is sometimes called, not Mongolian Barbecue, but Mongolian Grill. But that is just as silly as Mongolian Barbecue, because the food is still not only not Mongolian, and not barbecued, but not grilled either. The food is still stir fried, on griddles. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

looking around a bit more and it seems exactly the same kind of offering is sometimes called, not Mongolian Barbecue, but Mongolian Grill. But that is just as silly as Mongolian Barbecue, because the food is still not only not Mongolian, and not barbecued, but not grilled either. The food is still stir fried, on griddles. 

It really doesn't matter what it is, where it came from or what its called. The OP likes it and asked for locations.

You know Crad/ whippy within about 3 minutes of you joining under a new name I know its you, just like todmanpla or kaenghetpetyang and the list goes on. You are not welcome on this forum because you like to be augmentative and disruptive but since its a nice day I'm not going to ban you, just cut out your posting ability but you can still read.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1