Mongolian Bbqs?

MacBubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
there is a Mongolian Barbecue Wikipedia article I know they are not an always totally reputable source but in it it confirms my existing impression that the Mongolian Barbecue idea emerged from a Chinese food retail mind that wanted to sell food, to make money, probably in Taiwan and no earlier than the late 1960s. they tried but the idea of Mongolian Barbecue as brand never really took off like Mcdonalds or even Jollibee did. I have never heard of anybody claiming that they ever saw such a sign as Mongolian Barbecue, in New York, London, Paris, or Sydney. I certainly can't remember seeing one anywhere else apart from the Philippines.

So the 60s it is.  My wife and I had lunch with her sister yesterday, and she too recalls the Mongolian BBQ dinners from the 60s.

In Toronto, there is a buffet called Mongolian Grill, so it isn't just in the Philippines.

I am editing this because I responded before I saw the subsequent posts.  Didn't realize that the Mongolian Grill had been brought up.

Edited by MacBubba
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

there is a Mongolian Barbecue Wikipedia article I know they are not an always totally reputable source but in it it confirms my existing impression that the Mongolian Barbecue idea emerged from a Chinese food retail mind that wanted to sell food, to make money, probably in Taiwan and no earlier than the late 1960s. they tried but the idea of Mongolian Barbecue as brand never really took off like Mcdonalds or even Jollibee did. I have never heard of anybody claiming that they ever saw such a sign as Mongolian Barbecue, in New York, London, Paris, or Sydney. I certainly can't remember seeing one anywhere else apart from the Philippines.

So the 60s it is.  My wife and I had lunch with her sister yesterday, and she too recalls the Mongolian BBQ dinners from the 60s.

In Toronto, there is a buffet called Mongolian Grill, so it isn't just in the Philippines.

I am editing this because I responded before I saw the subsequent posts.  Didn't realize that the Mongolian Grill had been brought up.

Thanks, MacBubba!  I couldn't remember where Mongolian Grill was!   :thumbsup:

Back in the late 80s, there was a Mongolian BBQ in the Boston area - though I can't remember where...  I only went there once.  The usual haunt in Boston was the Black Rose for a Guinness and Blackened Swordfish.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Actually, I just checked the Mongolian Grill location link that jpbago posted earlier.  There wasn't a Toronto (Metro) location listed.  The place I had in mind is called "Genghis Khan Mongolian Grill", and it's on Don Mills, in North York.

John Mogusar
Posted
Posted (edited)

I currently live near Kansas City. We do get our BBQs mixed up a bit. We tend to refer to "Mongolian Grill" as "Mongolian BBQ." And funny enough, if I start Googling..."BD's Mongolian...", the first Google completion is "BBQ." "Grill" isn't on the menu.

Tastes better than BBQ to me anyhow, so I guess I should get the name right!

We also have a "Genghis Khan Mongolian Grill," but it's not relation to the one in North York. :) It's a locally owned restaurant.

If you like "Mongolian Grills" then I highly recommend the place in Ayala Mall in Cebu City.

Edited by John Mogusar
  • Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

In Mongolia, they eat at McDonald's.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There is a Mongolia restaurant in Baguio on upper Session Rd called Oh Mai Khan.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There is a Mongolia restaurant in Baguio on upper Session Rd called Oh Mai Khan.

Nice! Definitely have to check that one out!

• 4 weeks later...
John Mogusar
Posted
Posted

I found at least a couple of Manila-area Mongolian "Grill" restaurants!! (Can you tell I'm excited?)

Mongolian Rice Bowls by Cafe Sweet Inspirations. Ground floor of Mall of Asia. Cost is 280p weekday lunch (10-3) and 380p other times. http://www.mongolianricebowls.com/branches.html

There are also branches in Quezon City (x2) and Las Pinas (soon to open).

I ran across another couple yesterday, but didn't bookmark them.

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
just out of interest has anybody sighted any non-Mongolian 'Mongolian Barbecue' signs, in the United States?
Take a little trip to Washington state, there's one in a place called Silverdale, Wa. really good too! Just too bad that it has nothing to do with real Mongolian food though.

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

I remember taking my project team in Brussels to a Mongolian restaurant in the 1980s. I Khan't quite remember what it was called but it was the same format as above. The great attraction for my team (and my budget) was one price all you could eat and drink.

Here in Beijing there are a number of more "authentic" Mongolian restaurants, while in Ulan Bator one of the most popular venues is an Irish Pub. :cheersty:

Edited by not so old china hand