Cholesterol And Blood Pressure?

Alby
Posted
Posted

Before I came to the philippines I asked my GP to give me those pills for as long as he could. He gave me one full year supply ending some 5 months from now.

Which made me wonder?

How do you guys get Lipitor (or equivalent) and blood pressure pills here?

Which insurance covers it too if it's something very expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

i use the generic version which I get from Generika pharmacy at less cost than my share of the drug plan I used to have.  Instead of Lipitor, the generic I use is Simstatin at about 20 pesos per tab (which I break in half as I don't need all that much) and for blood pressure I use Losartan at about 5 pesos a tab

• Like 2

Alby
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave!

Do you get this over the counter or should a doctor prescribe it to you?

I presume it doesn't have to be from Generika, right ?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave!

Do you get this over the counter or should a doctor prescribe it to you?

I presume it doesn't have to be from Generika, right ?

A doctor here prescribed it for me but I never have had to show the prescription.  I just ask and they sell it to me.  I can buy it an any pharmacy but Generika is cheapest.  Next cheapest is 'The Generics Pharmacy' and at the top are Rose Pharmacy and then Mercury Drugs which get up into the very high price range.  

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My blood pressure dropped way down after I moved.  Not sure about my cholesterol - I bet it went up...

• Like 1

Alby
Posted
Posted

I dealt with Mercury and Watson. Very high price and for mediocre products.

I will search for Generika and see coz I've never seen one.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Have you tried to CURE the high blood pressure?

My old mother's is almost back to normal by she changed her diet A BIT   ( e g exchanged butter to something specialy made to reduce high blood pressure,  Becel.   I believe it's partly rapeseed oil.)

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

i use the generic version which I get from Generika pharmacy at less cost than my share of the drug plan I used to have.  Instead of Lipitor, the generic I use is Simstatin at about 20 pesos per tab (which I break in half as I don't need all that much) and for blood pressure I use Losartan at about 5 pesos a tab

Do you guys go for annual medicals (lab tests) to see if you need pills and what strength to keep your cholesterol and b/p in line?

Alby
Posted
Posted

I used to do a bi-annual blood test but not here. I am due for one but I am treating as for life.

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I used to do a bi-annual blood test but not here. I am due for one but I am treating as for life.

If you were still in the USA with no changes as to your lifestyle regarding diet, exercise, and stress, then things should be the same but as Tim said, some things change in the PI, some for the better and some for the worse. I don't imagine that an annual would cost much here. I get mine done once a year in Canada where they take 4 vials of blood and do 49 tests including prostate and ECG. For me, nothing has changed after doing 6 in and 6 out.