Cholesterol And Blood Pressure?

RBM
Posted
Posted

Before I came to the philippines I asked my GP to give me those pills for as long as he could. He gave me one full year supply ending some 5 months from now.

Which made me wonder?

How do you guys get Lipitor (or equivalent) and blood pressure pills here?

Which insurance covers it too if it's something very expensive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although not directly answering your questions my experience maybe helpful.

During a routine check up some years ago in Cebu i was found to have very raised LDO cholesterol. The doc prescribed me Lipitor which I took. The side effects were considerable, especially bad muscle pains.  They were how ever effective in lowering the LDO.

Spent some time researching the various reasons why and what if....Result as crazy as it sounds was the following.

Stopped taking the meds and every am after breakfast I now  dissolve a table spoon of common old oatmeal into a glass of water and down it goes. Started this around 5 years ago and since this time my yearly tests have been right in the middle range.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

How do you guys get Lipitor (or equivalent) and blood pressure pills here?

I had a stroke in 2012 just before I Retired, Lipitor I take for Cholesterol, & Pritor for Blood Pressure. Both are readily Available from Pharmacies. Lipitor is expensive but  good Pharmacies will arrange an  Alternative or may Direct you to a Local Doctor that can arrange a discount card for that product. 

I am at the moment testing Generic Medicines and monitoring  the effects, so far so good. and 30/40% less in Costs. talk to a main Street Generic Pharmacy and they can help Greatly. The PI has a High rate of Stroke and Heart Casualties through High Cholesterol and Blood Pressure so they do know a fair bit about it all.

JP :tiphat:

jpbago
Posted
Posted
The PI has a High rate of Stroke and Heart Casualties through High Cholesterol and Blood Pressure so they do know a fair bit about it all.

Very true. I see a lot of that here with people in their 40's. They do not want to know about their health. I have offered to pay for their medicals but they refuse. I explain that it is better to know so they can take meds before something happens but they refuse. When someone dies, they say it was because he took a shower after playing basketball.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The PI has a High rate of Stroke and Heart Casualties through High Cholesterol and Blood Pressure so they do know a fair bit about it all.

Very true. I see a lot of that here with people in their 40's. They do not want to know about their health. I have offered to pay for their medicals but they refuse. I explain that it is better to know so they can take meds before something happens but they refuse. When someone dies, they say it was because he took a shower after playing basketball.

Yes.  Not odd many Filipins get ill by they love sugar and junk food. If they know of the problem early enough, no meds are needed, just need to change eating habbits.

(My gf were chubby/some fat before we met, but she changed habbit by herself, so now she has good shape   :dance:   Now I only need to change to she eat brown rice instead of white rice   :)

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

The myth of the "aswang" is attributed to the number of male Filipinos who die in their sleep from heart attacks - not necessarily at any advanced age, either.

Years ago I had a medical done in Manila at one of the modern seamen's clinics and the doctor in charge commented on the Pinoy diet " Fish, rice and vegetables - but it's fried fish, fried rice, fried vegetables and a six pack on the sala set in front of the TV!"

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

The myth of the "aswang" is attributed to the number of male Filipinos who die in their sleep from heart attacks - not necessarily at any advanced age, either.

Years ago I had a medical done in Manila at one of the modern seamen's clinics and the doctor in charge commented on the Pinoy diet " Fish, rice and vegetables - but it's fried fish, fried rice, fried vegetables and a six pack on the sala set in front of the TV!"

Hey Andrew, don't forget soup number 5!  That will get your heart jumping as well as stopping it cold....he, he. 

In the Philippine, high cholesterol and high blood pressure is all too common as well as the real silent killer --

diabetes with all those multiple meriendas and halo-halo each and every day.     

Often times you will see the victims suddenly have a heart condition and need a customized wheel chair with

matching neck brace and need to be confined in a secured hospital bed, rather than going behind bars.

Es mo pun -- San Maggoo is my medicine and my friend......he, he. 

Edited by Jake
spil chek
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hey Andrew, don't forget soup number 5!  That will get your heart jumping as well as stopping it cold....he, he. 

In the Philippine, high cholesterol and high blood pressure is all too common as well as the real silent killer --

diabetes with all those multiple meriendas and halo-halo each and every day.     

Often times you will see the victims suddenly have a heart condition and need a customized wheel chair with

matching neck brace and need to be confined in a secured hospital bed, rather than going behind bars.

Es mo pun -- San Maggoo is my medicine and my friend......he, he. 

Hey!  That's great news, Jake!

No matter what I do after I come over, I will never have to go to jail...  

I already have the heart condition!

:mocking:  :hystery:  :hystery:  :hystery:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

My cholesterol is fine 4.1. My BP is up and down like a lift had it checked this morning and it is 130/80 the last time I had it checked was later in the day and it was 140/90. I think this is ok but I get one doctor telling me that it`s ok and another telling me that I need meds. I don`t mind if I have to take meds but it is for life and I don`t want to start when it is not necessary. MMM what to do.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
MMM what to do.

I can answer that from having the same problem.  You need to go to an ultrasound place and have them do a 'heart echo' which will tell you if the walls (muscles) of your heart are thickening.  If they are then it is probably because your heart is working harder than it should due to blood pressure that is higher than it should be.  Easiest solution is meds.

• Like 1